Author Topic: New Order gets back together without Hook (aka payback's a bitch)  (Read 13494 times)

atomicfront

Re: New Order gets back together without Hook (aka payback's a bitch)
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2011, 03:28:44 pm »
Saw the original line-up twice back in the 80's.  Most boring live band ever. 

You're actually not the first person I've heard that from......why did you go a second time though?

First time was with Gene Loves Jezebel and Echo and the Bunnymen
Second time was with Sugarcubes and Public Image Limited

Both shows at MPP both times New Order was the middle band.   I guess a good place for a band that knows they are incredibly boring. 

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2011, 04:48:47 pm »
Saw the original line-up twice back in the 80's.  Most boring live band ever. 

You're actually not the first person I've heard that from......why did you go a second time though?

First time was with Gene Loves Jezebel and Echo and the Bunnymen
Second time was with Sugarcubes and Public Image Limited

Both shows at MPP both times New Order was the middle band.   I guess a good place for a band that knows they are incredibly boring. 

I can imagine them being much more of a studio band than live act. They are a pretty bloody incredible studio band though.

betao

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 05:43:53 pm »
how was Gene Loves Jezebel? were they the headliner?

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2011, 10:59:38 am »
I can imagine them being much more of a studio band than live act. They are a pretty bloody incredible studio band though.

Ain't that the truth. Such a shame.

atomicfront

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2011, 12:38:54 pm »
how was Gene Loves Jezebel? were they the headliner?

Gene Loves Jezebel were the opener and they were pretty amazing.  This was before the mainstream change that they made.  Echo were pretty amazing as well.   I guess that made New Orders performance all that more unexciting. 

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2011, 03:09:24 pm »
Never saw them live... to me Joy Division/New Order are the most important band of the past 30+ years.

Who knew they'd end up like Pink Floyd?

Your definition of "important" isn't like everybody else's, is it?  For what?  Making a 12" that looked like a floppy disc?  Doing a lot of drugs?  Running a club into the ground?

Let's face it, New Order haven't been the same since Ian Curtis left.  Or was that Syd Barrett?

Brian

REALLY?

Running a club into the ground?

Actually, it was drugs that ran the Hacienda into the ground, not Joy Division.
Nobody was buying drinks in the club, they just paid the entry fee and took drugs once inside, and the club couldn't survive on door fees alone. I know because I went there a few times and it just wasn't my kind of club not being a junkie.

If it weren't for bands like Joy Division the Hacienda would've closed down much earlier than it did. The factory was a much better place in my opinion.

Curtis was never in New Order.

slappy

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2011, 05:51:31 pm »

REALLY?

Nobody was buying drinks in the club, they just paid the entry fee and took drugs once inside, and the club couldn't survive on door fees alone. I know because I went there a few times and it just wasn't my kind of club not being a junkie.

If it weren't for bands like Joy Division the Hacienda would've closed down much earlier than it did. The factory was a much better place in my opinion.

C'mon, everybody knows facts are sooo passé. Opinions and egos are where its at!  It's so refreshing the idiots have found the courage to speak with such conviction.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2011, 09:44:48 am »

REALLY?

C'mon, everybody knows facts are sooo passé. Opinions and egos are where its at!  It's so refreshing the idiots have found the courage to speak with such conviction.

You weren't there...you wouldn't understand. (actually, you probably weren't even born)  ;)

slappy

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2011, 10:04:46 am »

REALLY?

You weren't there...you wouldn't understand. (actually, you probably weren't even born)  ;)

I did get to go once around '91?  In hindsight I didn't understand.
I came back thinking the duo 'Candy Flip' were going to be HUGE.

bearman🐻

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2011, 10:10:21 am »
LOL...Candy Flip. Wow. Proof that anyone in a bedroom with a drum machine can have a hit.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2011, 10:42:11 am »

Who cares about an iconic club from "Madchester?"  Some legendary night when Bez went absolutely CRAZY!?!?!?!  Stop living in the past.  Evolve or die.  That's like deifying "The hottest rap-metal club EVER!  The Deftones.  Korn.  Fred.  They were in here ALL THE TIME!"

Brian

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2011, 11:55:05 am »

Who cares about an iconic club from "Madchester?"  Some legendary night when Bez went absolutely CRAZY!?!?!?!  Stop living in the past.  Evolve or die.  That's like deifying "The hottest rap-metal club EVER!  The Deftones.  Korn.  Fred.  They were in here ALL THE TIME!"

Brian

Some do. I was just telling someone of my personal experience of the club regarding the facts of why it closed. You didn't have to read my comment.

Are you ever NOT pissed off with a bad attitude?

I bet you're a total bag o laughs to hang out with.

"Hey Brian...would you like a beer?"

"Beer? Do I look like I want a fucking beer?...Beer is for old men with no life. Fuck you. I'm way too cool to drink beer"

bearman🐻

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2011, 12:47:12 pm »
Brian Wallace is like the the Sarah Palin of the 9:30 Club Board. We all laugh, jeer, get pissed off, or gawk, but the reality with people like that, if you stop paying them attention they'll eventually go away. Not that I don't find some of his stuff sometimes amusing even if I disagree with 99% of it. Maybe if we validate him with a flick along the lines of "Who's Nailin' Palin" he'll be be appeased. We could call it "Balls to the Wallace: Grudge Fuck 7".

James Ford

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2011, 01:44:46 pm »
Brian's on target about 90% of the time for me, which probably makes him more amusing to me than others.

Why would you want him to go away? Message boards desperately need more people like Brian. Otherwise they're just a group of friends in a chat room...zzzzzz....

Brian Wallace is like the the Sarah Palin of the 9:30 Club Board. We all laugh, jeer, get pissed off, or gawk, but the reality with people like that, if you stop paying them attention they'll eventually go away. Not that I don't find some of his stuff sometimes amusing even if I disagree with 99% of it. Maybe if we validate him with a flick along the lines of "Who's Nailin' Palin" he'll be be appeased. We could call it "Balls to the Wallace: Grudge Fuck 7".

slappy

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2011, 02:13:11 pm »
Brian's on target about 90% of the time for me, which probably makes him more amusing to me than others.

Why would you want him to go away? Message boards desperately need more people like Brian. Otherwise they're just a group of friends in a chat room...zzzzzz....

The character needs to evolve and work harder. Just being contrarian with some fake rage and ego only goes so far and then it equally becomes "zzzzz".  It needs more intelligence and thought to the bluster. Less throwing spaghetti against the wall and seeing what sticks and more actual attempts at a surgical strike type of rebuttal.