Author Topic: new Brit indie night to start this Sun, Jan.18th  (Read 20951 times)

Richard D Taylor

Re: new Brit indie night to start this Sun, Jan.18th
« Reply #90 on: January 19, 2004, 12:47:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:

So about Atmosphere, I loved it!  Alas, I missed FoGC's (aka DJ Trickster) early set as I was Restaurant Week-ing it, and I had to leave before his late set as I'm working today.  But, I hung around for over an hour and soaked up the vibe.  The place was nicely packed, the music was great(it is SO cool to be at a lounge and hear music you LIKE -- not just all that "hipster cool" electronica dj music).  And the crowd was really good -- very mixed, both in terms of regular and indie, old and young, energetic and loungy.  
I agree Bags.  I have to admit, I did expect a large crowd but I was thinking it would have been more of your typical Adams Morgan variety---you know, those Sex and the City type bar hoppers?  But actually, the crowd seemed quite varied, and there were a lot of music fans that showed up.  I got a really good vibe all night that people were enjoying themselves and having a great time.  I think it's safe to say it will happen again next month!  Yahoooo!  Oh yeah, and thanks so much for coming!  Not just you but Venerable, Mark E, and everybody else that made it out last night.  I had more fun last night than I've had in ages...

I'm definitely going back.  Probably next Sunday for the Cure night, as I know I've got some friends who will be way into it.  And though we probably all have to work next Monday, it's a cool 9 - 11:00 kind of thing.

That's great that you may be there next week---I definitely will be there.  I'd love to get my hands on a free copy of that Cure B-sides box set...

Now, a question -- one of the Sunday night themes is "Cold," a night of coldwave and darkwave music.  Anyone know what the hell that is?  Markie didn't know, so I figure it must be quite obscure...

Well, coldwave and darkwave are terms that are sometimes used interchangeably with the "gothic" music tag, but depending on who you ask, it could mean something a little more specific than The Sisters of Mercy.  I think the Projeckt label markets itself as a coldwave/darkwave label.  But almost all of their artists are stuff along the lines of Dead Can Dance....not really rock stuff...more like slow, atmospheric church music or soundtrack music.  I don't know if you've ever heard of bands like Black Tape for a Blue Girl, Lycia or Love Spirals Downwards, but they do that sound.  I've also heard some of the late 70s new wave described as cold wave music---such as Cabaret Voltaire and pre-"Don't You Want Me" era Human League.  In the late 70s, both of those artists did music that was very well..uh...cold sounding for lack of a better description.  In fact, one criticism often levelled at those bands was that they lacked emotion entirely.  Anyway, you can check out www.medusapromotions.com for all of the setlists from previous Sunday night Blue Room events...

markie

« Reply #91 on: January 19, 2004, 12:53:00 pm »
Originally posted by friend of Guy Chadwick:

[qb]
   Not just you but Venerable, Mark E, and everybody else that made it out last night.  [/b]
Hey ingrate! Did those Mp3s work? I hope I found some thing you did not have already.

Listen to twice by the tyde, especially blood brothers

And torino by cinerama, especially health and efficiency.

Richard D Taylor

« Reply #92 on: January 19, 2004, 01:04:00 pm »
For those of you that wanted to look at last night's complete setlist (from all 3 DJs), it will soon be available at www.medusapromotions.com.

In the meantime, I can give you the two sets that I did. Here you go...

Set #1: 9:00 - 10:00pm
 Slowdive-"Alison"
 Monster Movie-"Shortwave"
 Blind Mr. Jones-"Small Caravan"
 Catherine Wheel-"Black Metallic"
 Jesus & Mary Chain-"Just Like Honey"
 House of Love-"Safe"
 The Smiths-"The Queen Is Dead"
 The Jazz Butcher-"She's On Drugs"
 The Windmills-"Beach Girls 1918"
 The Wake-"Gruesome Castle"
 The Field Mice-"If You Need Someone"
 Difference Engine-"5 Listens"
 Coldplay-"No More Keeping My Feet on the Ground"
 Ride-"Vapour Trail"

Set #2: Midnight - 1:00am
 Colder-"Crazy Love"
 Lomax-"Reiterator"
 The Stills-"Gender Bombs"
 British Sea Power-"Something Wicked"
 Interpol-"Untitled"
 Longwave-"Everywhere You Turn"
 Kitchens of Distinction-"Sand on Fire"
 Adorable-"Homeboy"
 Whipping Boy-"Blinded"
 My Bloody Valentine-"Only Shallow"
 The Boo Radleys-"Does This Hurt?"
 Doves-"Words"
 Elbow-"Not a Job"
 Keane-"This Is the Last Time"

To those of you that came out, thank you so much for making the evening such a special one.  Cheers to you...

Richard D Taylor

« Reply #93 on: January 19, 2004, 01:19:00 pm »
Originally posted by mark e smith:

[qb]
   Not just you but Venerable, Mark E, and everybody else that made it out last night.  [/b]
Hey ingrate! Did those Mp3s work? I hope I found some thing you did not have already.

Listen to twice by the tyde, especially blood brothers

And torino by cinerama, especially health and efficiency. [/b]
Believe it or not, but I would say that I don't have about 70% of the music you put on the DVD.  It's amazing how much stuff you put on that disc.  I clicked on one of the MP3s to give it a listen but my Music Match was having difficulty playing it.  What I'm going to try next is to convert the MP3s into WAV files so I can make a burn of something.  Maybe that way I can listen to the tunes.  Haven't heard the other disc yet as I pretty much just woke up.  Thanks so much for all the music---that was extremely generous of you.  I'll give you some feedback once I've had a chance to listen to some of the stuff...

paige

« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2004, 01:37:00 pm »
Originally posted by mankie:
  She said you were cool......not as cool as her!
no..bag is pretty damn cool. i mean come on, she does drive an escalade  :D

markie

« Reply #95 on: January 19, 2004, 01:42:00 pm »
    Thanks so much for all the music---that was extremely generous of you.  I'll give you some feedback once I've had a chance to listen to some of the stuff...
No problem at all. I just hope that if you like some of those bands, especially Cinerama, the Tyde and Delgados that you buy their CDs. None of those bands strike me as being particularly wealthy despite their musical genius.

I forgot to say. Dont convert to Wav as its normally shite. I recommend itunes for the pc. Using that you can listen to stuff and burn Mp3 cds and regular audio Cds.. Pretty cool huh? And its free and better than music match.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2004, 02:50:00 pm »
yeah, i was surprised at the large turnout, as i got there right before FofGC started his first set and there were like 10 people in the bar, but the turnout was great.  it was good to talk some music with FofGC, and just listen to the music turned up loudly.  thanks for playing "alison" and "black metallic."  i'll think of a couple of other songs for next month.

hmmm, darkwave is the projeckt stuff eh?  i only have one black tape for a blue girl cd, but i do enjoy it.  although, it would be nice if it was more traditional goth, i've got a hankering for "now i'm feeling zombiefied" by alien sex fiend.   :)  

for the record, journey is a tremendously underrated band. . ."faithfully" is ace. . .i mean, come on, how many other bands ever had an arcade game named for them??
OU812

Sweetjoy

« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2004, 03:04:00 pm »
Kudos to you, Trickster, Medusa and Strange! I had a marvelous time last night. SUCH a good crowd! I should be more on the lookout for board members at events like that. Perhaps I already know them, and their board monikers slip under my radar. Oh, and where can I get my hands on that Catherine Wheel DVD?

Richard D Taylor

« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2004, 03:20:00 pm »
Originally posted by Sweetjoy:
  Kudos to you, Trickster, Medusa and Strange! I had a marvelous time last night. SUCH a good crowd! I should be more on the lookout for board members at events like that. Perhaps I already know them, and their board monikers slip under my radar. Oh, and where can I get my hands on that Catherine Wheel DVD?
Thanks for the kind words and thanks for coming out.  Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself so much.  As for the CW DVD, that was something that a friend of Medusa's made specifically for her---so it's not available for purchase anywhere.  Having said that, I saw something a while ago on the CW Official Site about releasing a DVD sometime in the future, but we'll just have to wait and see when that happens...

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2004, 05:02:00 pm »
Originally posted by mark e smith:

Thanks so much for all the music---that was extremely generous of you.  I'll give you some feedback once I've had a chance to listen to some of the stuff...
No problem at all. I just hope that if you like some of those bands, especially Cinerama, the Tyde and Delgados that you buy their CDs. None of those bands strike me as being particularly wealthy despite their musical genius.

I forgot to say. Dont convert to Wav as its normally shite. I recommend itunes for the pc. Using that you can listen to stuff and burn Mp3 cds and regular audio Cds.. Pretty cool huh? And its free and better than music match. [/b]
uh in order to burn a regular audio cd track you need to convert a mp3 file to either wav (pc) or aiff (mac),  they usually sound like shite if you've compressed the mp3 file at a lowbit rate like 128...
T.Rex

markie

« Reply #100 on: January 19, 2004, 09:48:00 pm »
all of mine are compressed to the middle thing, 168, or something like that. itunes let you burn an audio CD from Mp3s, but I have never tried, so dont know how it works.

Jaguär

« Reply #101 on: January 19, 2004, 09:57:00 pm »
Depending on what I'm ripping or burning, I try to never go below 192. The higher the better. It just eats up more file space. 256 is even better and more preferable. Much fuller and better sound quality. But I do 320 whenever I feel that I can push it.

« Reply #102 on: January 19, 2004, 10:02:00 pm »
Thunder Road is one of the greatest songs ever written.

Originally posted by pollard:
  Was the music last night at the Blue Room as good as the music in Nanny O'Brien's last night?

I got to hear:
 Bruce Springsteen - Thunder Road
 Journey - Dont Stop Believin
 some Counting Crows song
 Jimmy Buffett
 Bon Jovi - Dead or Alive

It must be the worst jukebox in town, luckily the beer is great.

ratioci nation

« Reply #103 on: January 19, 2004, 10:08:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:

nope

Jaguär

« Reply #104 on: January 19, 2004, 10:15:00 pm »
Originally posted by pollard:

Originally posted by Rhett Miller:

nope [/b]
Agreed.