Author Topic: new Brit indie night to start this Sun, Jan.18th  (Read 20953 times)

Bags

Re: new Brit indie night to start this Sun, Jan.18th
« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2004, 06:27:00 pm »
Hey, I never claim to be cool.  Especially around here.  I don't know how y'all keep up with so much music.  I bought probably 75 CDs last year, and still haven't heard a lot of the board faves.

Fico

« Reply #76 on: January 16, 2004, 06:43:00 pm »
This sounds like a proper night out..that being said, I'll prolly go only after the football game is over..

happy new year my pedigree chums!

Jaguär

« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2004, 03:29:00 am »
Mew are very good but honestly, I can only handle so much of their music before I go into diabetic shock. Really depends on the songs for me. Have some friends who are crazy over them.

About The Rain Band, I got into them about 1 1/2 - 2 years ago. Learned about them at least 2 years ago from a few others in the UK. Now I own everything they've put out (not counting promos or oddball masters and such) except for their Fist Of Fury EP because I can't afford $50 or so when it pops up on ebay once in a Blue moon. I do own the 1,000 limited edition The World Is Ours single of which I have #30 and the rare tour promo with Medium 21. Oh, and I have the latest EP, The Art Of Mass Destruction. And I won the 12" of Knee Deep And Down, which is autographed. My promo is autograhed too.

Oh, and I have some Rain Band bootlegs. For the record (no pun intended), we have full permission from the band and their management for making and sharing (without profit) these boots. We're still looking for a sound boot to synch up with a video performance filmed by one of my friend's of their's at Stoke from their last tour. Unfortunately, the band didn't record the show off the board or they would have let us use it.

Damn! I don't have off on Monday.     :(

Richard D Taylor

« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2004, 11:40:00 am »
Originally posted by Jaguär:
  Mew are very good but honestly, I can only handle so much of their music before I go into diabetic shock. Really depends on the songs for me. Have some friends who are crazy over them.

About The Rain Band, I got into them about 1 1/2 - 2 years ago. Learned about them at least 2 years ago from a few others in the UK. Now I own everything they've put out (not counting promos or oddball masters and such) except for their Fist Of Fury EP because I can't afford $50 or so when it pops up on ebay once in a Blue moon. I do own the 1,000 limited edition The World Is Ours single of which I have #30 and the rare tour promo with Medium 21. Oh, and I have the latest EP, The Art Of Mass Destruction. And I won the 12" of Knee Deep And Down, which is autographed. My promo is autograhed too.

Oh, and I have some Rain Band bootlegs. For the record (no pun intended), we have full permission from the band and their management for making and sharing (without profit) these boots. We're still looking for a sound boot to synch up with a video performance filmed by one of my friend's of their's at Stoke from their last tour. Unfortunately, the band didn't record the show off the board or they would have let us use it.

Damn! I don't have off on Monday.      :(  
So are you saying that you can't make it then?  You could always come early---we start at 8pm.  As I mentioned before I'll be doing 2 one hour sets this evening with the first one starting around 9.  It would be great if we had a huge turnout if only so we could show the owner of The Blue Room that this night should be made a regular monthly event.  Since I'm just guest DJing tonight, I probably won't be spinning every month at Atmosphere, but I will definitely be hanging out there every month if it becomes a regular thing.

Btw, I really appreciate your intense level of passion for music---it helps me feel better about my own obsessiveness.  ;)

Jaguär

« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2004, 03:42:00 pm »
Friend, music is my passion!!! One of the things that I love about this board and a few others is that I can find others to share that passion with. Even a few with similiar tastes in music, which makes it all the better.

As much as I'd love to come out tonight to play, I just can't. Besides having to work tomorrow      :D

paige

« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2004, 06:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by mankie:
  You're not cool unless Paige said you're cool.
You're right.

Bag is cool. Mank, you aren't.  :p

Bags

« Reply #81 on: January 19, 2004, 11:10:00 am »
Originally posted by i do not heart winter:

You're right.

Bag is cool. Mank, you aren't.    :D  
 Yeah!  Thanks, Paige.  I feel special.

So about Atmosphere, I loved it!  Alas, I missed FoGC's (aka DJ Trickster) early set as I was Restaurant Week-ing it, and I had to leave before his late set as I'm working today.  But, I hung around for over an hour and soaked up the vibe.  The place was nicely packed, the music was great(it is SO cool to be at a lounge and hear music you LIKE -- not just all that "hipster cool" electronica dj music).  And the crowd was really good -- very mixed, both in terms of regular and indie, old and young, energetic and loungy.  

I'm definitely going back.  Probably next Sunday for the Cure night, as I know I've got some friends who will be way into it.  And though we probably all have to work next Monday, it's a cool 9 - 11:00 kind of thing.

Now, a question -- one of the Sunday night themes is "Cold," a night of coldwave and darkwave music.  Anyone know what the hell that is?  Markie didn't know, so I figure it must be quite obscure...

mankie

« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2004, 11:17:00 am »

You're right.

Bag is cool. Mank, you aren't.   :p  [/b]
Is there ANYTHING I can do to be cool, because it's very important to me to be cool like paige.....
   :roll:

markie

« Reply #83 on: January 19, 2004, 11:26:00 am »
google power

not a good start to my google search.......

Atmosphere was good, I am glad so many folks turned up. It means I can go again. The blue room was the busiest bar in A-M last night. Felix had 2 people in it at 11.30.......

Bags

« Reply #84 on: January 19, 2004, 11:29:00 am »
Ahem, cool like paige and BAGS!    :p  

You're right.

Bag is cool. Mank, you aren't.    :p   [/b]
Is there ANYTHING I can do to be cool, because it's very important to me to be cool like paige.....
    :roll:  [/b]

mankie

« Reply #85 on: January 19, 2004, 12:06:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:
  Ahem, cool like paige and BAGS!     :p  

You're right.

Bag is cool. Mank, you aren't.     :p    [/b]
     :roll:   [/b]
[/b]
She said you were cool......not as cool as her!

Bags

« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2004, 12:09:00 pm »
Aha, so you really meant "as cool as paige."  I understand.  I'm taking what little I get, I can assure you....

ratioci nation

« Reply #87 on: January 19, 2004, 12:43:00 pm »
Was the music last night at the Blue Room as good as the music in Nanny O'Brien's last night?

I got to hear:
 Bruce Springsteen - Thunder Road
 Journey - Dont Stop Believin
 some Counting Crows song
 Jimmy Buffett
 Bon Jovi - Dead or Alive

It must be the worst jukebox in town, luckily the beer is great.

markie

« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2004, 12:44:00 pm »
Originally posted by pollard:

Still they had your 5 favourite songs, what great luck!

Bags

« Reply #89 on: January 19, 2004, 12:45:00 pm »
And come on, we all now how "Don't Stop Believing" can get a bar crowd going!!

Originally posted by mark e smith:

Originally posted by pollard:

Still they had your 5 favourite songs, what great luck! [/b]