Author Topic: Radiohead chit chat  (Read 52129 times)

IMAmoose24

• 4 Stars out of 5
Re: Radiohead chit chat
« Reply #195 on: June 04, 2012, 04:15:26 am »
Definitely a good show.  I have a few complaints--no "How to Disappear Completely," still don't understand why they're playing "Meeting in the Aisle" over so many other great and undervalued B-sides, the second encore was almost too dreamy and low-key--but, in general, had a great time.  I thought "The National Anthem" feat. Queen Elizabeth and "You and Whose Army?" were the highlights of the night.

THE QUEEN speaking ahead of THE NATIONAL ANTHEM was almost too classic to define. I freaked out when they came back on and played YOU AND WHOSE ARMY. Was hoping for that all night. The re-imagined MEETING IN THE AISLE was a great surprise as well. Overall, an amazing set from the greatest band in the world. My only gripes:

1) No Myxamytosis: They have played it throughout the tour and somehow deemed it not fit for this show? That ain't right.
2)Didn't close the beginning set with IDIOTEQUE. C'mon... I know they messed it up in NJ 2 nights ago... That doesn't mean you scrap it from the entire show.
3) WEIRD FISHES: REALLY? Yr not going to play the song that many deem the sole reason they got into IN RAINBOWS...

I'm not going to be the one who degrades the entire show for these missteps, but the fact that they didn't touch these songs at all leaves me begging for more. C'MON RADIOHEAD! DO US A SOLID!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 04:21:53 am by IMAmoose24 »

IMAmoose24

• 4 Stars out of 5
« Reply #196 on: June 04, 2012, 04:20:27 am »
OVERALL, an amazing show and time. RADIOHEAD were completely on point and had me grooving the entire time. ;D

wml7

« Reply #197 on: June 04, 2012, 06:53:56 am »
Another awesome show.  The line getting in for the floor was crazy.  Usually they have been letting people in in a somewhat orderly fashion in other cities.  For some reason Verizon fucked shit up by letting in people early but then stacking them all in this small room before the floor entrance.  In the end it was a mad dash for the floor.  Really crazy.

How did you guys like Caribou's set?  I ended up being two rows off center rail and they sounded awesome in DC compared to NJ.  Radiohead had a great setlist.  I wished they play HTDC as well but they played MITA and Go To sleep, so that should do.  Good times
 ;D

Yada

« Reply #198 on: June 04, 2012, 08:53:43 am »
I'm going to put on my flame retardant suit prior to making this comment, but does everyone of their tunes from the past three albums or so sound exactly the same? I'm not saying it was a bad show, but quite monotonous, addmittedly I'm not a die hard Radiohead fan either.

Bring back the guitars.

bearman🐻

« Reply #199 on: June 04, 2012, 09:21:42 am »
I thought it was a great show, but I'd agree with Yada that it was a bit monochromatic. "Identikit" and "Supercollider" should be dropped completely. If you're going to play newer stuff, throw in an "All I Need". There's nothing wrong with recent Radiohead, but pulling out one or 2 more oldies, even stuff from Hail to the Thief, would be a welcome addition. Especially in the encore. At least the show happened though, and a tornado didn't rip off the roof of the Verizon Center. Going by that alone, I'd say it was a massive success. Incredible stage setup too.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #200 on: June 04, 2012, 11:11:36 am »
I'm going to put on my flame retardant suit prior to making this comment, but does everyone of their tunes from the past three albums or so sound exactly the same?

We have a winner. I'm still stunned they had the gumption to play You and Whose Army. That's a song, like Talk Show Host, the band seems to cool to play anymore.

sonickteam

« Reply #201 on: June 04, 2012, 12:32:39 pm »
 Well i was very excited for the show....and i can't say it disappointed but the Verizon Center is just such the wrong place for them.  I had decent seats...but still no one really else "getting into the music" around me. The whole things just weird there really.  Its a shame the Jazz Fest kept this show from being at Merriweather.

I love every Radiohead song just about so I'm always happy with the songs they play and understand they can't play em all but....

my ninth Radiohead show and one song (other than new stuff) was played that i'd never seen live before. (MITA)

The encore was just all wrong to me. I'll definitely be leaving two songs early in Jersey so beat traffic.

One thing i always liked about Radiohead was how their setlist was so fluid from start to finish. But not this time. Their constant changing of instruments between every song made the whole show seem a bit disjointed. 

Other than that. they are still better than anyone else around.  Just wish they would tour more than once every four years around here.

hutch

« Reply #202 on: June 04, 2012, 01:24:22 pm »
wow..sounds like it sucked...

Verizon is to be avoided like the plague.

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #203 on: June 04, 2012, 01:37:20 pm »
First time seeing them and I'm not a huge fan.  The show definitely exceeded my expectations and I will definitely see them again.  That being said, I was also thinking that a different venue, like Merriweather, would have provided a better vibe for the show, especially since the floor was filled only half way.  This gave the feel that the place wasn't even close to a sell out.  They could've sold a couple more thousand GA's instead of making people by level 400 nosebleeds.  I'm sure there are firecode reasons but still seemed like there was plenty of room for additional GA's.

helicon1

« Reply #204 on: June 04, 2012, 01:54:51 pm »
I'm sure there are firecode reasons but still seemed like there was plenty of room for additional GA's.

That is exactly the reason the floor is only filled so far.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #205 on: June 04, 2012, 02:02:52 pm »
First time seeing the band and all expectations were exceeded. But, then again, I really enjoyed the encores.

Did nit enjoy listening to the drunken a-hole screaming for Karma Police all night. Nor the other guy who thought it was funny to yell just to be heard.

Hope to catch them again.

Jesse

« Reply #206 on: June 04, 2012, 02:31:55 pm »
I'm sure there are firecode reasons but still seemed like there was plenty of room for additional GA's.

That is exactly the reason the floor is only filled so far.

Floor Tickets were available on ticketmaster yesterday afternoon. I didn't try but it wouldn't surprise me to find out that GA tickets were available at the box office.

hutch

« Reply #207 on: June 04, 2012, 03:16:21 pm »
so they didn't even sell out the floor??? WTF?

wml7

« Reply #208 on: June 04, 2012, 03:18:27 pm »
you missed out should have gone even the VP was there
 ;D

serpent boy

« Reply #209 on: June 04, 2012, 05:05:46 pm »
I loved the show. It was my first Radiohead concert and they were much better than I ever expected.

"Give Up the Ghost" was stunningly beautiful live. I thought almost every song performed sounded better live than on any record. Even the beat-oriented stuff like "Feral" and "The Gloaming" was excellent.

The guitar-driven songs definitely pumped up the crowd the most. "Airbag," "Paranoid Android," "National Anthem," "Bodysnatchers," "There There," and "Go to Sleep" were electrifying.

I was also surprised they didn't play "Weird Fishes" or "Myxamatosis" or "Idioteque" but I won't complain. The set was brilliant as it was. I would've only swapped out "Reckoner" for "Idioteque" or "Everything In Its Right Place."

The crowd in section 121 was a hell of a lot less animated than I thought they'd be. There were definitely some people dancing and singing along, but a lot of people seemed bored, sat through songs like "Codex," and left before the second encore. Weirdly, most of the people around me seemed most excited for anything from In Rainbows.