Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1298853 times)

Vas Deferens

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #4290 on: December 08, 2021, 04:15:07 pm »
oh come on, it's a friday night...
(_|_)

Yada

« Reply #4291 on: December 08, 2021, 05:02:27 pm »
are you going Bagley to the DC9 show?!   

Here's something to "wet" your appetite....

https://www.brooklynvegan.com/wet-leg-made-a-joyous-splash-at-their-first-u-s-show-pics-setlist-review/

Ha! You've got a Leg up on me there young man.  I'll be fast asleep by the time they take the stage.

hahaha... when I saw "late show", I thought the same thing... Nah.

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #4292 on: December 08, 2021, 05:05:47 pm »
are you going Bagley to the DC9 show?!   

Here's something to "wet" your appetite....

https://www.brooklynvegan.com/wet-leg-made-a-joyous-splash-at-their-first-u-s-show-pics-setlist-review/

Ha! You've got a Leg up on me there young man.  I'll be fast asleep by the time they take the stage.

hahaha... when I saw "late show", I thought the same thing... Nah.

Can Confirm.

Space Freely

« Reply #4293 on: December 10, 2021, 09:59:41 am »
12/9 Date Night

We met 20 years ago. I introduced her to Old 97's, we've been to a number of Old 97's shows together. We took our month old infant to her first show, Old 97's at Baltimore Artscape. Long ago, one of her old friends used to be the executive chef at City Winery NYC. We once visited him there and were given the royal treatment. So it seemed like a solo Rhett Miller show for our first DC City Winery show was a good idea.

But of course, we're beer people, and Other Half is a two minute walk from City Winery DC. So after an hour in traffic, we made it to Union Market, grabbed some takeaway, and high tailed it to Other Half. It's always kind of sad how empty the place seems to be. Come on DC, support a great brewery taproom...I think at least one of the owners is a local boy, even if it is an NYC brewery.

After dinner and a couple of beers, we headed over the City Winery. First though upon entry was they seemed to have a lot of people working for such a small place and show. Nice place. Cookie cutter swanky (no that there's anything wrong with cookies, we had small pours of the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough stout at OH.) We were served complimentary glasses of champaign along with the glass of wine and app that she ordered (did they telepathically know about that connection with their former chef? Did i sign up for something that told them it was our first time there? Anyway, nice touch.)

Rhett came on at 9pm and played a mix of Old 97's songs, solo songs, and a couple of self-penned Christmas songs. He was funny and charming and dorky, serving up several stories. He waxed nostalgic about how 20 years ago DC (the Black Cat) was the first place outside of LA and NYC where he played solo acoustic after having toured with the band for years. He mentioned that before the Black Cat, he had only played solo in front of hipsters in LA and NYC. I guess the implication was that the 800 people at the Black Cat (we two included, along with some other early boardies) were decidedly not hipsters.

He was also noticeably thinner than more recent years, so not everyone gained pandemic weight. Perhaps giving up alcohol helped in that department. And of course, he never ages. Though at 51, one has to wonder if he now has the help of hair dye.

The crowd, at least what I could see of it, were old. Like senior citizen old. Most without hair dye. I hope they weren't offended by all of his cussing. I wish the Old 97's April show was at the 9:30 and not the Hamiliton, but perhaps their popularity is waning, and Rhett Miller is not Jonathan Richman. At least the Hamilton will have seating for the seniors.

After a good night kiss in the car, we headed indoors, I blasted the Cranberries "Zombie" (a cd pickup at the $5 library bag sale), and I danced with my dog.

Maybe my last show for 2021, unless a Stubhub steal pops up on something.

Yada

« Reply #4294 on: December 10, 2021, 10:14:05 am »
would read again space!

Starsky

« Reply #4295 on: December 10, 2021, 10:20:44 am »
+1

I saw Old 97s at Hamilton maybe 5 years ago …went by myself

They let people stand in space between stage and first tables so it was like a little club there…young people…I got a pitcher of some really nice brew , set it on table behind me and had the best time…after show chatted with a couple of old 97s…. They signed my all messed up cd but I donated it to hall of records

I really couldn’t have had a better time but I think I just got lucky… hadn’t seen them since they opened for Wilco at club… I went cause I like that messed up album so much

Yup five years ago

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/old-97s/2016/the-hamilton-live-washington-dc-1bfb69d4.html

I thought I might see them again but the right opportunity never came and the follow up to messed up left me cold…I liked the Xmas album ok…never even got their last album

I remember at show thinking Rhett looked pretty ageless…he seemed 20 years younger than some of the other band members

I am glad Rhett did what he needed to do- I would never begrudge anyone that
« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 10:36:57 am by Starsky »

K8teebug

« Reply #4296 on: December 10, 2021, 10:33:00 am »
Went to LCD at Brooklyn Steel Friday. Great set and good crowd. Really missed seeing them. Is anyone else going?

Starsky

« Reply #4297 on: December 10, 2021, 10:38:09 am »
Glad you had fun

Tell them to get in the van and come to DC….it’s not that far

Space Freely

« Reply #4298 on: December 10, 2021, 10:49:46 am »
Rhett (51) isn't 20 years younger than the other members, but he is the youngest. Ken (guitar) is 58, Murry (bass) is 57, and Phillip (drums) is 54.

Starsky

« Reply #4299 on: December 10, 2021, 10:51:35 am »
Ok that makes a lot of sense…

Learn something new every day

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #4300 on: December 10, 2021, 11:28:31 am »
Went to LCD at Brooklyn Steel Friday. Great set and good crowd. Really missed seeing them. Is anyone else going?

So jealous! I got locked out of getting tickets. Seems like a dream show!

Space Freely

« Reply #4301 on: December 10, 2021, 11:30:39 am »
Ok that makes a lot of sense…

Learn something new every day

Went down the Old 97's rabbit hole and found this fun nugget regardinf their origins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INBkrywBO7Q

Vas Deferens

« Reply #4302 on: December 10, 2021, 11:32:16 am »
Not for $100
Theyre fun live tho.

(_|_)

bearman🐻

« Reply #4303 on: December 14, 2021, 04:44:43 pm »
The Circle Jerks show in Baltimore on Friday was fantastic. Thought they sounded incredible. Very happy I got to see that one.

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #4304 on: December 15, 2021, 11:42:30 am »
But were they as good as the Circle Jerks that took place at the Ween show?

The Circle Jerks show in Baltimore on Friday was fantastic. Thought they sounded incredible. Very happy I got to see that one.