Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1299189 times)

challenged

• Instagram
Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #4305 on: January 24, 2022, 08:14:28 pm »
First show in around 40 days Saturday night was Cory Branan in Baltimore. Around 30 attendees. It was my first time seeing him and he was great. Captivating songs and stories.

Today I got a notification via the Maryland Covid exposure app, that 2 days ago I was exposed to someone who has now tested positive for Covid. I checked with the venue/homeowner/friend and he got an email today from one of the attendees to the effect that a routine for work Covid test was positive today.

« Reply #4306 on: January 24, 2022, 08:27:48 pm »
that kinda takes away that post show glow. 

I find it odd that I never received notification in COVIDWISE in VA about exposure.  I don't get out that much, but I'm no hermit
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #4307 on: February 03, 2022, 09:49:30 am »
War on Drugs 2/2/22 Anthem

THis was my first time seeing them in 10 years, and first time seeing them headline. There was no opener. They started at 8:30, finished at 10:42. 14 song set plus a three song encore that included a Dylan song.

About have of the songs were energetic and great. The other half were slow and dull. It seems like their songs are samey, perhaps they could speed up the slow songs and I'd like all of them. Their latest album is on the slow and dull side. Best use of a (bass) sax in a rock band I've seen live, maybe ever.

Not the best looking band in the world. What is it with Philly bands? Dr. Dog, War on Drugs, the Roots, and I'm sure there are other Philly bands that could be included on the ugly list, but I'd need to use the Google. All rather homely people. At least Daryl Hall had nice hair back in the day. The lead singer Adam has listed Wilco as an inspiration. He looks like he could smurf into Jeff Tweedy if someone gave him a pair of nerd glasses and entered him into a few pie eating or hot dog eating (whichever is his preference, who am I to judge) contests. If he's reading this, I hope he takes it as a compliment.

Was Kurt Vile the lead guitarist when he was in the band? Adam is defintely no slouch on lead. I love it when lead singers do double duty as lead guitarist. That's true beast rock start mode.

Overall, I give the show a "B." It was worth the $25. I'm glad I didn't pay full price. I walked away saying that I'd see them again in another 10 years...but will I? I'll be 64, like in a McCartney song.

Lots and lots of people with their masks down. Probably so they could suck in more second hand weed smell, or partake first hand.

TLDR version: a Don Henly-esque performance with long droning syth and guitar solos. (Except not really, because Henley would have been on drums, and WOD, when playing their fast songs, definitely bring more energy than Diaper Don.)

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #4308 on: February 03, 2022, 09:58:45 am »
Wait. So if they were hot, it would have been a B+?

Space Freely

« Reply #4309 on: February 03, 2022, 10:01:15 am »
Wait. So if they were hot, it would have been a B+?

No, if they were Spoon, it would have been a B+.

Starsky

« Reply #4310 on: February 03, 2022, 10:03:02 am »
The cover of Born in time - one of Dylan’s most magnificent and yet underrated songs (his outtake version from Oh Mercy slays the released and murdered version on Under the Red Sky) - was phenomenal…Not a song I believe I have ever heard live….I did a double take when I heard it…just wow

I saw a guy that looked like Space but didn’t say hi…well actually I saw 3000 guys that looked like Space

Space Freely

« Reply #4311 on: February 03, 2022, 10:19:03 am »
The cover of Born in time - one of Dylan’s most magnificent and yet underrated songs (his outtake version from Oh Mercy slays the released and murdered version on Under the Red Sky) - was phenomenal…Not a song I believe I have ever heard live….I did a double take when I heard it…just wow

I saw a guy that looked like Space but didn’t say hi…well actually I saw 3000 guys that looked like Space

I'm not a big Dylan guy, but agree that the cover was well done.

Were you working, or an audience member?  I was with Vas, who doesn't look like the 3000 guys who looked like me. I was wearing a goofy hat that made me look like a train conductor. I actually did think to look for you, and intended to introduce myself (if you weren't busy working.)

« Reply #4312 on: February 03, 2022, 10:24:05 am »

I saw a guy that looked like Space but didn’t say hi…
there seems to be a trend here
slack

Yada

« Reply #4313 on: February 03, 2022, 10:24:56 am »
Vas and Space, the forum relationship we never knew we needed!

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #4314 on: February 03, 2022, 10:27:45 am »
What would these bands say about your looks?

Not the best looking band in the world. What is it with Philly bands? Dr. Dog, War on Drugs, the Roots, and I'm sure there are other Philly bands that could be included on the ugly list, but I'd need to use the Google. All rather homely people.

Space Freely

« Reply #4315 on: February 03, 2022, 10:29:18 am »
What would these bands say about your looks?

Not the best looking band in the world. What is it with Philly bands? Dr. Dog, War on Drugs, the Roots, and I'm sure there are other Philly bands that could be included on the ugly list, but I'd need to use the Google. All rather homely people.

"He looks like a guy who wouldn't pay full price for our show, but good on him for being here at his age."

Starsky

« Reply #4316 on: February 03, 2022, 11:21:48 am »
I was working out front all night…getting people in and then out…sorry I missed you guys…

I really only caught most of Born in time. And that song that goes “under the pressure” and that was good enough…. When I work a show it’s not at all like attending a show and that’s as it should be…obviously if I am working inside you hear more

Definitely a show I would have enjoyed…I really like WOD…

I thought the crowd was great 🙏🙏 my kind of people…
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 11:25:26 am by Starsky »

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #4317 on: February 03, 2022, 11:46:19 am »
Was also there, great show. Whoever worked the boards last night did a masterful job -- they really sounded good up there. Should have went the Space route and bought tickets on StubHub day of but I also got mine at the box office without fees a week prior, tomato/tomahto. Also the MeatCrafters half smoke with onions and peppers they sell there really hits the spot when you don't have time to grab dinner beforehand.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #4318 on: February 03, 2022, 06:43:53 pm »
Great sounding show.  The bouncier, older songs definitely were the highlight (and the bass sax!). The last album didn't really do anything for me.
(_|_)

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #4319 on: February 04, 2022, 09:58:20 am »
Kacey Musgraves, King Princess, Muna was really great last night.

I wish I had seen KM on the way up, or even at Wolf Trap back in 2019(?) but was nonetheless very happy to get to see her last night in this arena spectacle version of her divorce record tour. Lots of lights and confetti and visual effects. A couple of dud songs off of the current record were the only lulls. Show wasn't sold out, but KM told the crowd that it was the largest crowd of the show so far, and it looked to me like 90% capacity.

We had seats in 120 Row G which ended up being front row wih no obstructions between us and the stage, at stage right. Because no one was in front of us, it at least didn't feel like we were too close to the vast unmasked crowd of mainly(?) gay 20 somethings. Sound was pretty fantastic, loud but no need for earplugs, and clear except for maybe a minute or 2 during one of KM's songs.

(Lots of beautiful and scantily clad people of all genders, etc., were in attendance at the show that would have delighted the tastes of both members of our forum "stubhub partner" couple)

The 20 somethings we brought to the show were in GA pit on the floor, and they had a great time.

On the mask issue: security was actively policing the use of masks until maybe 5 minutes into the show.

Protip: A large Ice Coffee at Dunkin and 10 Munchkins for $10 in the arena makes for prime in show food and bev when one is in one's 50s and has had a long day and will have a long drive back to Baltimore.

Another Protip: don't disregard that DC traffic text alert thing you signed up for, or you, like me, will be diverted from DC to the GW parkway back to 395, and then through the city because of emergency police road closures in the 395/Nats Park area. This added around 15 mins to the journey back to Charm City.