Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1296774 times)

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #4950 on: June 12, 2023, 01:56:13 pm »
Man, still putting my face together after being melted off by Love and Rockets last night

They looked and sounded fantastic, easily the best sounding I've ever heard them after seeing them about four times previously
They do not get enough respect, they put on such a good show and have such a deep catalog IMO
was glad to see they sold out the place by showtime
god that opener sucked
slack

bearman🐻

« Reply #4951 on: June 21, 2023, 09:49:07 am »
Waco Brothers was a really good show...glad I finally got to see them.

Hutch

« Reply #4952 on: June 21, 2023, 10:03:34 am »
Drats! Sorta spaced it but sorta picking my spots to be honest….

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #4953 on: June 22, 2023, 10:28:33 pm »
W.I.T.C.H. was excellent. Zamrock is my new favorite genre.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #4954 on: June 23, 2023, 07:49:56 am »

Didn't realize the current incarnation of W.I.T.C.H. was touring, was enjoying the new album this lineup released this year.   The W.I.T.CH. Wikipedia entry is grime with many of the  members of the various versions of the group having died of AIDS.  I see they are at the Black Cat tonight, but not sure I have the energy for a three group line-up...

Anyways, years back I went a bit down the Zamrock rabbit hole after hearing a story on the Zambian group Wells Fargo on Snap Judgement.  Be sure to check out the Wells Fargo collection "Watch Out" put together by Now Again Records. 

Both of the Now Again Zamrock compilations are great as well.

https://www.nowagainrecords.com/announcing-welcome-to-zamrock/

It's always fun to listen to rock from other parts of the world and Africa in the 70s had quite a scene

I should just point out Now Again does a fantastic job with their various compilations, etc

« Last Edit: June 23, 2023, 08:21:29 am by kosmo vinyl »
T.Rex

« Reply #4955 on: June 23, 2023, 05:23:34 pm »
they are playing the black cat tonight and it doesn't appear to be sold out
slack

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #4956 on: June 24, 2023, 09:26:09 am »
checking them out.  Good stuff!

they are playing the black cat tonight and it doesn't appear to be sold out

Space Freely

« Reply #4957 on: June 25, 2023, 06:34:33 pm »
I aint gonna make the Xure show tonight but I did see some live Brazilian music in Lisbon tonight (and ate sone tasty Brazilian food.) The jazz place we tried to go to no longer had live music.

Also went to a taproom for a craft brewery and the beer was surprisingly very good. Dois Corvos. They had a beer called Portugal, the Beer. That made me chuckle.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 06:36:37 pm by Space Freely »

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #4958 on: June 25, 2023, 11:05:00 pm »
Didn't go to the cure, as I had a show conflict. Rodrigo y Gabriella laid down a solid show. Had never seen them before and was quite pleased.

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #4959 on: June 25, 2023, 11:38:29 pm »
The Cure show.  Never have I seen the lawn so crowded.  1st show I ever went to where I couldn't see the stage.  Had to sit on the side hill in order to have any room, and there was no sightline to the stage.

Anyway thought the show was great.  Band sounded great.  Since I was watching the show from the screens, I can't understand the lack of camera workmanship that was presented.  No closeups of the band, mostly a long shot where you couldn't see much.  Lots of shots of the band without Robert Smith even in the shot as he ventured to the sides.  Camera was pretty much stationary and did not move.

I'll probably get skewered for this but the show would have been better, at least for me, as a more condensed, concise set...maybe 2 hours.

Still my first time seeing them, and glad I did.  Also, love being able to get out of that venue taking back roads and home in 10 minutes.

Hutch

« Reply #4960 on: June 25, 2023, 11:48:25 pm »
Nice! Been sitting in the car in the parking garage on the 8th floor for 30 minutes…haven’t moved an inch

This is obscene and I want to die

Hutch

« Reply #4961 on: June 25, 2023, 11:52:56 pm »
Update: not a minute went by before we started moving. My driver is acting kind of funky but we are on 6th floor of parking garage

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #4962 on: June 25, 2023, 11:57:08 pm »
always park at the mall...the side by the theaters and walk from there.  Easy out especially if you take the back roads...Gov Warfield to Little Patuxent to Cedar Lane to 32 east to 29 south.  You avoid the whole MPP traffic mess that way
« Last Edit: June 26, 2023, 09:46:21 am by Cock Van Der Palm »

bearman🐻

« Reply #4963 on: June 26, 2023, 02:37:25 pm »
The Cure show.  Never have I seen the lawn so crowded.  1st show I ever went to where I couldn't see the stage.  Had to sit on the side hill in order to have any room, and there was no sightline to the stage.

Anyway thought the show was great.  Band sounded great.  Since I was watching the show from the screens, I can't understand the lack of camera workmanship that was presented.  No closeups of the band, mostly a long shot where you couldn't see much.  Lots of shots of the band without Robert Smith even in the shot as he ventured to the sides.  Camera was pretty much stationary and did not move.

I'll probably get skewered for this but the show would have been better, at least for me, as a more condensed, concise set...maybe 2 hours.

Still my first time seeing them, and glad I did.  Also, love being able to get out of that venue taking back roads and home in 10 minutes.

So, I caught the Philly show at Wells Fargo, as well as Merriweather. I had friends on the lawn, also had a pit ticket for Merriweather. The lawn was packed. I mean, ridiculous. Then I went down to the pit, and I've never seen a show that likewise the pit was wall to wall folks...no room to maneuver. I preferred the Philly show for several reasons: 1) it was in an arena, and collectively the energy is just different when everyone can see the stage and see what's going on. It's palpable. On the lawn, it's just extremely hard to make the same connection with the music, what's going on onstage, etc. You're watching people, not the band 2) Merriweather was heavy on Disintegration stuff, and Philly was all about the Head on the Door and a handful of older tunes like "Charlotte Sometimes". Mostly the same set, but just different enough that made it feel like a faster show and some really top-notch songs. I've also seen the Disintegration songs more, so there's less novelty for me there. 3) Merriweather, despite all the nice upgrades, is a bigger commitment of time and energy to get to/from and your experience there will probably have more variables. It's been a long time since I've seen a tour where I saw an outdoor and indoor show and could compare what are the pros/cons, but I think I've decided my preference is a Capital One Arena vs. a Merriweather or (God forbid) Jiffy Lube. Also, totally agreed on the mall for the parking. We parked at the mall and though traffic was a little hairy initially, we were outta there in fairly decent time. It's nice to see an outdoor summer show. I think the Cure could have easily done 2 nights at Merriweather though, especially given that cities like LA and New York got 3 nights, and San Francisco,San Diego, Montreal and Atlanta got 2 nights.

Yada

« Reply #4964 on: June 28, 2023, 10:57:17 am »
Caught my quinquennial (did I use this word properly) Jeff Tweedy solo show last night... Observations.

1. The first time I saw Wilco 20+ years ago, I remember thinking how horrific Jefe looked... somehow, he continues to look worse and worse year after year.

2. Jeff's banter is always fun to hear. Setlist was good enough, I've lost track of all of the Tweedy/Solo Tweedy/Wilco (of last decade).

3. That was the most packed show I've been to at the 930 club, maybe ever? A sold out Atlantis > A sold out 930 Club.

4. There is always the risk at these intimate/quiet shows for drunken assholes. I didn't encounter any, however, rumor has it there were many in attendance, but I definitely didn't hear much heckling, etc. 

5. It's unfortunate that there is an entire VIP section completely empty that could probably fit 50+ people in. Hey Seth!

6. Negro Modello bottles were served piss warm.

7. Reveler's Hour has killer pasta.

8. Jeff played "passenger side" because of brennser