Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1296603 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #5325 on: March 25, 2024, 07:05:28 pm »
so either my eyes fail me, or it's been so long that i've seen brennser that i no longer recognize him because i trawled through Mclusky's IG and couldn't spot him.  could also be my brain's ability to retain things being best described as "sieve-like"...
<sig>

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #5326 on: March 25, 2024, 07:09:06 pm »
so either my eyes fail me, or it's been so long that i've seen brennser that i no longer recognize him because i trawled through Mclusky's IG and couldn't spot him.  could also be my brain's ability to retain things being best described as "sieve-like"...
And people like you want to critique my dossiers. You people. You fucking people.
LVMH

Hutch

« Reply #5327 on: March 25, 2024, 07:20:59 pm »
It’s pretty clear….

brennser

« Reply #5328 on: March 25, 2024, 08:40:29 pm »

sweetie I rocked a buzz cut when we knew each other - I am hirsute and bearded now.....

nkotb

« Reply #5329 on: March 27, 2024, 02:34:26 pm »
If you,  like me, regret not picking up a mclusky poster, today is your (limited time) lucky day

https://www.aestheticapparatus.com/shop

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #5330 on: April 03, 2024, 10:16:05 am »
I think Space may be able to claim plagiarism for some of what's included in this piece, as it would appear someone has been reading his post show banter

TERMS AND CONDITIONS UNDER WHICH I WILL ACCOMPANY YOU TO A LIVE MUSICAL EVENT

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/terms-and-conditions-under-which-i-will-accompany-you-to-a-live-musical-event

too many gems to pull from this one.

T.Rex

« Reply #5331 on: April 03, 2024, 01:24:31 pm »
^there is tons of good stuff, but this one just cracks me up

Non-fan will:

Nod occasionally to denote that, yep, that’s definitely noise coming from that stage
slack

Hutch

« Reply #5332 on: April 03, 2024, 02:14:26 pm »
Sidehatch where is the Grouplove review?

« Reply #5333 on: April 03, 2024, 02:36:36 pm »
Sidehatch where is the Grouplove review?
it was a fantastic show
I have been a fan for a while, but until our friend said he was going, I was planning to skip and glad I didn't

Bully was a great opener and glad I caught some of her set, she added a nice cover of Jane Says

Grouplove had an expanded group for the tour, so more drums/keys/guitar
the Mix was on point and was really easy to hear every instrument/vocalist
Light show was great, but at some points I was blinded as it was sooo damn bright

The band was super into the show and the crowd reciprocated. The audience was really into it, bouncing around and singing along with most songs.  Very diverse crowd, low bald pear percentage

They played a bunch from their 2011 debut (my favorite) Never Trust a Happy Song so that alone made me happy (as did most of the audience)
they also played a bunch from their latest release and those sounded awesome as well...crowd seemed well versed in the new stuff too
did a decent cover of Bowie's Space Oddity while wearing a disco ball helmet for a cool effect. (although most of the tour got blur's Song #2, which I think would have been a lot of fun with how the crowd was)

I picked up the vinyl (great packaging and twintone colored slab) and am really digging it post show, with many rotations

slack

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #5334 on: April 09, 2024, 09:37:20 am »
I was looking forward to the Young Fathers show and they didn't disappoint.

Since their sound is on the minimal side to begin with, the three Young Fathers plus an additional female singer share the vocals. They add in a percussionist and the opener Callum Easter joins them on keyboard and guitar.  One of the singers was occasionally adjusting the controls of what I assume was either a sampler or sequencer.

Great mixture or hip-hop, soul and electronica with lots of pounding percussion.  Even got some subsonic tones which caused the balcony to vibrate.   And is "People Don't Dance At Shows" still a thing?  As there was plenty of moving and grooving spotted amongst what was pretty full crowd.

Callum Easter was ok as an opener, but it seemed like it was an exercise in him using an accordion as his primary instrument plus a variety of effects for it and his vocals. 
T.Rex

bearman🐻

« Reply #5335 on: April 09, 2024, 11:06:45 am »
Loved the Descendents/Circle Jerks/Adolescents show. Not a big fan of Ram's Head Live as a venue, but still glad I could at least catch the tour. Will say that of the 3 times I've seen this Circle Jerks lineup, this one was the best. They were absolutely on fire. I think the Descendents also did a great job with following them by trying to keep their show energetic. Really crazy to think that a bunch of these guys are in their 60's and still can do these tours. Impressive.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #5336 on: April 09, 2024, 11:07:46 am »
Young Fathers are a great live act - can't believe the last DC show was 8 years ago!
(_|_)

Space Freely

« Reply #5337 on: April 15, 2024, 08:21:02 am »
First, let me make this clear. I did NOT attend Coachella. But almost all of it was streaming on Youtube. Because my kid was inexplicably interested in watching (I've streamed Bonaroo, Lola, and ACL in the past and she showed no interest), I watched quite a bit. Some of it live, some of it repeated the next day.

Friday:

Late Night Drive Home: I think I watched this band, but they left so little of an impact that I can't rate them Grade: N/A

The Beths: New Zealand band: Not great, some catchiness. Grade: B

Chapelle Roan: I lasted half a song. My kid doesn't like her, so no point itn watching more. Grade: C+

The Japanese House: Pleasant. She'll make the perfect opening act for Maggie Rogers at Merriweather: Grade: B+

Faye Webster: I like he recorded music, but live she's still a bore. Grade: C-

L'Imperatrice:OMG, I love this Franch band. I so want to see them at Anthem. Grade A+

Brittany Howard: I've seen her live before, and some people seem ecstatic about her. I don't get it. Still, she wasn't terrible. Grade: B-

Sabrina Carpenter: This was one my kid wanted to see. I don't think I'm part of her target market. Grade:B

Suki Waterhouse: She's hot and boring at the same time. Grade: B

Lana del Rey: This was my kid's most anticipated show, by far. Damn, she lost a lot of weight in a short period of time. How can my wife and I pull that off too? Anbody want some DIPA cans? Grade: A-

Cimafunk: A band I have seen and really like, but they were on before the telecast started: Grade: N/A

Saturday:

Young Fathers: Kind of what Kosmo said the other day. I don't like pre-recorded music as part of a live performance (I only saw vocalists and percussionists), but they bring it live. Grade: A-

Raye: Muscially, she was solid. But her rapid fire dim-witted stage banter lost her points. Grade: B

The Aquabats: I think they were supposed to be a joke band, but I didn't get it. Grade: D+

Vampire Weekend: I know i've hayted on this band at times, but they've developed into a solid band. Loved the Gram Parsons by way of Phish cover, and loved that they brought Paris Hilton and Abraham Lincoln out to play cornhole. Grade: A-

The Last Dinner Party: Loved, loved, loved this band. They fucking slayed. Grade: A+

Sublime: I only know this band from their Lana del Rey cover, but my wife was apparently a fan in the 90's (while I was listening to nonstop Americana) Awful, just awful. I was right to be have been listening to Whiskeytown and Six String Drag. Grade: F

Bleachers: My wife heard them and though it was the Hold Steady. But they're not. Somehow, he's a magical producer but his band does nothing for me. Grade: D+

Blur: Admittedly, I know about one Blur song, but I thought I'd watch with an open mind. Turns out, I still hate Britpop. Grade: D+

Jungle: They have a lot going on, but somehow it almost all works well. Grade: A-

No Doubt: Never really cared for them in their heyday (Honestly didn't pay them any attention..if I want ska I'll listen to the realer stuff, from Jamaica or maybe the UK stuff), but as member of a gym their music was hard to avoid....best song was a cover of One Step Beyond and Olivia Rodrigo was a nice touch. Grade: B+

Sunday (weak schedule day!)

Mdou Moctar: Nice guitar work, but I wish they sounded more African, rather than just being guys with rags on their heads playing pseudo-Western rock music. Maybe the white guy bassist has too much influence? Grade: C+

Feeble Little Horse: Generic indie noise rock: Grade: C-

Hermanos Guttiriez: Tasty Latin acoustic guitar trio from Mexico. Correction: Switzerland. I guess they didn't finish their wall either. Grade: A-

Victoria Monet: This artist won multiple Grammy's? I think she was supposed to be titillating, but she was a turn off. And her music was mediocre. Grade: C-

Olivia Dean: Excellent pop r&b soul gal from London. Refreshingly wholesome without being boringly wholesome. Victoria Monet could take some style lessons from her. Wish I had seen her Songbyrd show, but it was sold out. Grade: A

Renee Rapp: She was on a tv show that my kids likes. Musically, terrible. Grade: D

Khruangbin: They're great music to cook a meal to, but I'm still not entirely sure I'd love them live an in person. Grade: B+

Doja Cat: One my kid wants to watch when she gets home from school today. Grade: TBD

nkotb

« Reply #5338 on: April 15, 2024, 08:42:36 am »
This is the saddest a post has ever made me on the internet

Lana del Rey: Damn, she lost a lot of weight in a short period of time.

nkotb

« Reply #5339 on: April 15, 2024, 08:52:36 am »
Echoing what Hutch, Sidehatch and Bearman said...killer killer killer Feelies show.  I had never seen them before...most times they've played the Ottobar I've flaked at the last minute, so I'm glad we had a closer show to finally get me off the couch.  They were absolutely on fire.

Great seeing Hutch and finally meeting 'Hatch!