Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1815348 times)

hutch

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #5520 on: September 03, 2024, 03:12:10 pm »
Yeah I heard alvvays or whatever they are called was awesome

« Reply #5521 on: September 03, 2024, 05:37:33 pm »
Howas Hooky?
I wanted to go but had to work that night…
I heard he played a ton of JD/NO songs
slack

jb1677

« Reply #5522 on: September 04, 2024, 08:43:56 am »
How was the Atlantis Jack White gig?  The clips I saw made it look like the most energetic of the three.

It was a fantastic show for sure.  He played more songs than the previous nights, but seemed to be less improv, just straight up played the songs.  Once again probably 50-60% overlap with previous nights but enough change-up to keep it interesting.  The opener (Birthday Girl DC) was fantastic - waaaaaay different vibe than the previous nights openers but very entertaining nonetheless.  It was my first time at Atlantis, cant wait to get back, loved the small venue with big setup and sound (though the bouncing floor was a bit weird!!). 

nkotb

« Reply #5523 on: September 06, 2024, 09:38:49 am »
Dismemberment Plan had a really special place in my life, though I'm guessing most people my age, living in DC, liking the music I like, probably feel the same.  It was URGENT to catch their shows from like 98 through the 2003, not only because of the music, but also because of the community.  I mean, I felt like I saw them every 3 months in that period. Probably not really...just how it's burned into my brain.  And those are pretty core memories...that pouring rain "last show" at Ft. Reno, that secret show at the BC that was not remotely a secret, the Death & Dismemberment tour, etc.

Then I got old, and while I was always psyched for the one-off reunions that happened here and there, I guess maybe the things in my life that kind of tied me to the band didn't exist in real time anymore?  I dunno, whatever happened (maybe it really was Uncanny Valley!) I can't really say I listened to them much in the past 15 years.  And I wasn't really looking forward to last night...maybe too much time passed to revisit such a specific time in my past?

But boy, once they hit the stage, I was back to a much younger NKOTB.  They were really fantastic, and were probably more hyped on stage than I can recall from past reunions.  It didn't hurt that the crowd was losing it.  Unlike past reunions, this wasn't just old guys like me reliving their glory days...I swear at least half the crowd wasn't alive during their heyday, and were probably in elementary the last time they toured. 

Now, I could be a curmudgeon and point out the lack of old songs (think I counted three pre-Emergency & I tracks: Doin the Standing Still, Rusty and Ice of Boston), or the fact that the youngins didn't seem to know Get Rich, or that they didn't play every song I'd ever want to hear.  But you know what?  I have already seen all of those songs probably half a dozen times each, and all of these kids losing their minds , seeing a band they love but never seen, wanted the hits...and they got them.  I really brought a smile to my face...i mean, the kids next to me (there were probably 20ish, but as I stated, I'm old) had to look at instagram to even know it was the band on stage when they were setting up lol.

I can't say I'd see them again...last night kind of felt like a perfect revisit to things from my youth, and a pretty fitting last "DC show" (at least what DC shows were to me during formative years) in a way, right down to the show starting with Mark Andersen making a passionate plea for his work with We Are Family and in DC at large.

hutch

« Reply #5524 on: September 06, 2024, 09:40:39 am »
Nice!

« Reply #5525 on: September 06, 2024, 10:51:35 am »
delicious PSB, would subscribe to that listserv
slack

lily1

« Reply #5526 on: September 06, 2024, 11:02:19 am »
To build off NKOTB, DPlan has always been about a time and a place for me. Not just personally, but in the history of the city. I've found it hard to listen to them over the past dozen years because it just didn't feel right. Too much has changed, good and bad.

For so many years I'd be there for the 2 night stand the last weekend in June and the 2 night stand stand right before NYE at the Black Cat and whatever shows in the mid Atlantic in between-Philly, Baltimore, Fredericksburg. Remember the show where Travis was freestyling with Miss Spice and her Go Go band at like 2 am?

Anyway, enough nostalgia.

The Atlantis show was solid and tight. I too would have liked a few more songs from the earlier catalogue but maybe we'll get that tonight?

I did have a giggle that when they played Doing the Stand Still nearly everyone was actually doing the stand still in our sausage section; aside from myself, the two woman in a bit in front of me and the woman a bit to my right where we bopped around the entire show.

hutch

« Reply #5527 on: September 08, 2024, 02:30:47 am »
Clutch threw down!!

But Fu Manchu was my favorite tonight. Would love to see a full show by them

Rival Sons was fun if heavily Led Zep derivative down to the double neck guitar.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #5528 on: September 12, 2024, 07:37:21 am »
Bikini Kill was terrific last night. I missed them back in the day and can only imagine how good they were back then.  The opener - Sweeping Promises - was pretty damn rocktastic, too.  I need to dig into them a bit more.  Well worth the trip to Baltimore.  BK mentioned that these are the last shows of their reunion tour (which started about 5 years ago), and pointed out that this means these may be their last shows EVER.  If you're not doing anything else tonight, you should consider going.  Birthday Girl DC is opening tonight.

Related - I really like Baltimore Soundstage.

hutch

« Reply #5529 on: September 12, 2024, 08:54:09 am »
I saw a Bikini Kill shirt last night

gavroche

« Reply #5530 on: September 12, 2024, 06:13:22 pm »
I went to PJ Harvey last night at the Anthem.  I showed up at 8:10 and to my surprise, they were already on (no opener).  It's getting to the point where I can't even safely get to a show on time here when I leave straight from work.

The venue was maybe 2/3rds full, plenty of space on the floor, but I didn't push forward.  I'm having a hard time getting into the new album and she played it full to start.  I was getting restless, though she is a spectacular performer in terms of theatrics and filling space. 

Then after a short instrumental where she left the stage, it turned to classics and I immeditely remembered how much I love her music and it was all worth it.  No deep cuts or anything.  Whole show was wrapped up by 9:45.

hutch

« Reply #5531 on: September 12, 2024, 07:09:57 pm »
Yeah it was billed as “an evening with pj Harvey” which means no opener so she went on at 8.

You are not alone in thinking she would go on later. People were rolling in at 9:15!!

She sounded fabulous

It was the North American tour opener.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2024, 07:11:28 pm by hutch »

Vas Deferens

« Reply #5532 on: September 12, 2024, 07:42:05 pm »
Going tonight, too bad I am not getting Sweeping Promises (did they only play for 30 min though?). They were terrific at Songbyrd early this year.

Bikini Kill was terrific last night. I missed them back in the day and can only imagine how good they were back then.  The opener - Sweeping Promises - was pretty damn rocktastic, too.  I need to dig into them a bit more.  Well worth the trip to Baltimore.  BK mentioned that these are the last shows of their reunion tour (which started about 5 years ago), and pointed out that this means these may be their last shows EVER.  If you're not doing anything else tonight, you should consider going.  Birthday Girl DC is opening tonight.

Related - I really like Baltimore Soundstage.
(_|_)

gavroche

« Reply #5533 on: September 12, 2024, 11:00:44 pm »
Yeah it was billed as “an evening with pj Harvey” which means no opener so she went on at 8.

You are not alone in thinking she would go on later. People were rolling in at 9:15!!

She sounded fabulous

It was the North American tour opener.

I second that she sounded fabulous. 

nkotb

« Reply #5534 on: September 13, 2024, 09:09:21 am »
Despite loving that There's Nothing Wrong with Love through Live run, Built to Spill has never been a must see act.  Honestly I think I've only seen them in recent years on "plays X album in its entirety" tours.  But they sounded really great, and having John McMahon (the original cellist that played on TNWWL) back every song really brought something extra.  Plus the new line-up was really good...his drummer was beating the shit out of their kit.  Probably the most I've heard Doug banter...he maybe spoke 3 times.  So I guess I'll maybe catch them again in nine years for the 40th anniversary of Ultimate Alternative Wavers or something.

I had no clue who the openers were going in (and since the club didn't post set-times, I got there just as they were about to start).  I had never seen Kicking Giant before, but I remember them from my young days of being a K Records obsessive for some reason.  I had no clue they were still around, and I couldn't even find what they've been up to in the 30 years since I remember their songs on a bunch of Olympia WA comps.  They were a lot of fun...glad I caught them.