Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1268757 times)

hutch

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #285 on: November 06, 2012, 12:12:51 pm »
Who cares? If the album is a good one who cares if they keep doing it over again

Look at AC/DC

This "pitchforkian" need for people to evolve and change... I just don't get it... so many bands fall prey to this idea, change up their winning sound and end up with a turkey.

Having said that I think Neil Young changes it up more than most... and better than most... I say that as a non-fan.. something about his wheedy voice I cannot stand... but you can't compare his Crazy Horse shit to his more acoustic stuff..its very different.

bearman🐻

« Reply #286 on: November 06, 2012, 12:39:34 pm »
Totally disagree about Social D. Since when did having a consistent sound become a cardinal sin? Seems to be working really well with their fans given that they've been around for 33 years and both shows in DC are sold out. If they were so boring and samey, then they would have stopped being able to tour a long time ago.  A band sounding like they're not trying to be something they're not will likely do just fine if the songwriting is there, and Social D has a signature style for sure. But they still manage to vary it. I saw them once start a show "unplugged" with an upright bass and acoustic guitars and it still sounded bad-ass. Regardless, consistency is not always boring if a band is secure with who they are and what they want to be.

atomicfront

« Reply #287 on: November 06, 2012, 03:26:44 pm »
Neil Young plays the same song over and over decade after decade? So Trans, Freedom, Ragged Glory, Harvest Moon, Greendale, Le Noise, and most recently Psychedelic Pill all sound the same?

Follow-up question: Do you think about asinine comments like these before you post them or do they fly out your butt and go immediately onto the screen?

His live shows are the worst though.  He should stick to his stuff from the early 70's.  His stuff since then is awful.

Relaxer

« Reply #288 on: November 06, 2012, 05:16:28 pm »
Well that usually means "I haven't listened to any of his stuff beyond the early 70s"

He's put out some crap but he's also put out some incredibly good albums such as Tonights the Night, Zuma, Comes a Time, Rust Never Sleeps, Weld, Harvest Moon, Ragged Gory, Freedom, Living with War, Chrome Dreams II and the just released Psychedelic Pill.

But yeah! Other than alllll of those classic, beloved albums, and probably several more, everything since the early 70s has been awful.
oword

Yada

« Reply #289 on: November 06, 2012, 05:22:20 pm »
Neil Young plays the same song over and over decade after decade? So Trans, Freedom, Ragged Glory, Harvest Moon, Greendale, Le Noise, and most recently Psychedelic Pill all sound the same?

Follow-up question: Do you think about asinine comments like these before you post them or do they fly out your butt and go immediately onto the screen?

His live shows are the worst though.  He should stick to his stuff from the early 70's.  His stuff since then is awful.

"Things were better when I was young."--every old fart ever

atomicfront

« Reply #290 on: November 06, 2012, 06:41:28 pm »

"Things were better when I was young."--every old fart ever

Actually I listen to new music.  THe old farts are the ones listening to the stuff Neil has put out since the 70's and are too old to realize it is pretty god-awful.

Most guys once they hit mid 30's can't do anything worth listening to.  I guess you find a guy like Johnny Cash once a generation that can do something spectacular later in life. 

Old farts are the guys on here praising Jesus and Mary Chain shows and "Smashing Pumpkin" gigs. 

I will be at the of Monsters and Men, Jens Lekman, and Warpaint shows you can have your old fart music.

atomicfront

« Reply #291 on: November 06, 2012, 06:48:42 pm »
Well that usually means "I haven't listened to any of his stuff beyond the early 70s"

He's put out some crap but he's also put out some incredibly good albums such as Tonights the Night, Zuma, Comes a Time, Rust Never Sleeps, Weld, Harvest Moon, Ragged Gory, Freedom, Living with War, Chrome Dreams II and the just released Psychedelic Pill.

But yeah! Other than alllll of those classic, beloved albums, and probably several more, everything since the early 70s has been awful.

I have only listeded to Freedom, Hawks and Doves, and Trans since the 70's. I  have heard other songs though.  None of which I cared for at all.  Neil has been doing what Lou Reed has been doing since he put out "transformer". putting out bad music and putting on annoying live shows

hutch

« Reply #292 on: November 06, 2012, 06:58:53 pm »
GET OFF MY LAWN KIDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

atomicfront

« Reply #293 on: November 06, 2012, 07:06:45 pm »

I am sure the average age of a person at a neil young or bruce springsteen or any of the other out of date music you love is much older than me. 

hutch

« Reply #294 on: November 06, 2012, 07:14:38 pm »

I am sure the average age of a person at a neil young or bruce springsteen or any of the other out of date music you love is much older than me. 

I don't even like Neil Young dude.. I did think Living with war was pretty ballsy and I own it.

Thing is I can recognize talent without having to like it.. I don't have to think that because I don't like it that it sucks or something...

THAT's the difference between you and me you see....well at least one of them...

atomicfront

« Reply #295 on: November 07, 2012, 03:31:20 pm »

I don't even like Neil Young dude.. I did think Living with war was pretty ballsy and I own it.

Thing is I can recognize talent without having to like it.. I don't have to think that because I don't like it that it sucks or something...

THAT's the difference between you and me you see....well at least one of them...

difference between me and you is that you continue to like artists after they stop putting out good music.  You probably have the same hairstyle you had in highschool too.

hutch

« Reply #296 on: November 07, 2012, 03:38:44 pm »

difference between me and you is that you continue to like artists after they stop putting out good music.  You probably have the same hairstyle you had in highschool too.

Well I do have the same hair.. see I'm not balding. another difference between you and me.

If an artist gets older I don't say "Oh they're older so they must suck now" like you do.. I give the music a chance... if it works it works....irrespective of age.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #297 on: November 07, 2012, 03:41:42 pm »
you see now my dear relaxer, why i say the things i do . . . it leads to this.

Relaxer

« Reply #298 on: November 07, 2012, 04:29:05 pm »
Yeah but this is actually somewhat interesting.
oword

Relaxer

« Reply #299 on: November 07, 2012, 04:29:58 pm »
It's like watching two handicapped people, who fell out of their wheelchairs, wrestle awkwardly on the ground.
oword