Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1268635 times)

i am gay and i like cats

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #345 on: June 20, 2013, 05:26:57 pm »
americans want everything given to them without having to work for it.  thats why americans are so jealous of people who have made it and are doing fine.  they want that type of comfortablity given to them.  and it all starts with school.  i think students should be forced to get jobs and balance real life work while getting their education, instead of scholarships.  hands out are hands out, no matter how you label them.

atomicfront

« Reply #346 on: June 20, 2013, 05:30:54 pm »
americans want everything given to them without having to work for it.  thats why americans are so jealous of people who have made it and are doing fine.  they want that type of comfortablity given to them.  and it all starts with school.  i think students should be forced to get jobs and balance real life work while getting their education, instead of scholarships.  hands out are hands out, no matter how you label them.

I worked when I went to school.  30 hours a week at least while going full-time.  Got two bachelor degree and owed zero dollars.  I don't think merit based scholarships make you lazy.  But student loans are terrible ideas. 

James Ford

« Reply #347 on: June 20, 2013, 05:40:13 pm »
I think we've already had the cost of college now vs. cost of college 25-30 years ago when you and I went to college discussion.

I'm grateful my parents paid for my bachelor's education (in-state tuition), a scholarship (and a 30 hour a week job)partially paid for my first master's degree, and my employer (you, the taxpayer) paid for my second master's.

And none of that made me lazy. If I'm lazy about anything, it's blue collar grunt work. Grew up on a dairy farm, and don't care to do any more physical labor the rest of my life. Other than running marathons.

I worked when I went to school.  30 hours a week at least while going full-time.  Got two bachelor degree and owed zero dollars.  I don't think merit based scholarships make you lazy.  But student loans are terrible ideas. 

stevewizzle

« Reply #348 on: June 20, 2013, 06:02:47 pm »
Interesting statistic, but when you factor in the (much higher) minority dropout rate as well as the (higher) percentages who don't go to college...that would probably tell the whole story....

Then again, of kids under 6 right now, 49.9% are "minority". So that term is soon to be obsolete anyway.

In fact, they are less likely to receive college scholarships. And they represent about a third of the applicants, but only about 28 percent of the recipients. Caucasian students receive 72 percent of all scholarships. Minority students receive only 28 percent of all scholarships.

And my kid's white. Of course she's not going to get any scholarships.

no

fair enough. the real problem for your good beer fund is scholarships tend to be spread throughout, and school prices continue to rise. federal grants though? the poor people get those, and no one else.

hutch

« Reply #349 on: June 20, 2013, 09:15:52 pm »
the whole system is majorly fucked... the college raises its price double the rate of inflation-->government increases the loan amounts-->the college raises its price double the rate of inflation and so on and on and it goes on forever

the answer , contrary to what the president seems to think is not more loans...or lower interest rates on loans... cause colleges then just figure they can raise their cost.... that's what has been going on since the 1980s...and it aint working

James Ford

« Reply #350 on: June 22, 2013, 10:30:12 am »
All kinds of dwight trash at the Club last night.

hutch

« Reply #351 on: June 23, 2013, 11:56:58 pm »
smokin' buddy guy show... this was a special one for me.

mekmad

« Reply #352 on: June 24, 2013, 12:01:01 am »

My guess is Buddy Guy is the special guest for the Stones on Monday.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #353 on: June 24, 2013, 07:30:13 am »

Oh, that would be nice!

hutch

« Reply #354 on: June 24, 2013, 10:09:01 am »

Oh, that would be nice!

for sure.. he has a few days before next show and i think he organized the state theatre show simply to take advantage of the fact he'd be in town for the Stones show...

Yada

« Reply #355 on: June 30, 2013, 03:03:06 pm »
I can't keep up if the board likes or dislikes Wilco (I think it's dislike minus a few folks). Anyway, here are links to their cover set from last weekend, pretty awesome.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/eunbm763bpm8b36/Wilco_-_6_21_13_cover_set_a.zip
http://www.mediafire.com/download/8u5i56881kz4pp9/Wilco_-_6_21_13_cover_set_b.zip

atomicfront

« Reply #356 on: July 01, 2013, 12:47:34 am »
I can't keep up if the board likes or dislikes Wilco (I think it's dislike minus a few folks). Anyway, here are links to their cover set from last weekend, pretty awesome.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/eunbm763bpm8b36/Wilco_-_6_21_13_cover_set_a.zip
http://www.mediafire.com/download/8u5i56881kz4pp9/Wilco_-_6_21_13_cover_set_b.zip

My least favorite band of all time. They are the Coors Light of rock bands.  I think James Ford is the only person on here who likes them.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #357 on: July 01, 2013, 06:13:23 am »
Why did the Lumineers cross the road?

To get to the middle.
T.Rex

Yada

« Reply #358 on: July 01, 2013, 08:16:42 am »

My least favorite band of all time. They are the Coors Light of rock bands.  I think James Ford is the only person on here who likes them.

If they were the Coors Light of rock bands, you'd find them absolutely amazing, no?

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #359 on: July 01, 2013, 09:24:44 am »

I don't really feel one way or the other about either.  But if Wilco are the Coors Light of rock bands then the Lumineers are Water Light.