Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1268156 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #540 on: March 03, 2014, 12:00:37 pm »
"wait a  minute,its a malkmus solo show alll but in name only!"
I never understood this thinking. Who cares? Its like all the people who won't go see "Smashing Pumpkins" because its just Billy or just Billy and Jimmy. They're not deceiving you on the lineup. You're seeing the principal songwriter/musician play his classic songs. If you like those songs, I don't understand refusing to go because its a different bass player. Would it be more palatable if the ticket said "Billy Corgan plays the Smashing Pumpkins' Greatest Hits" or "Malkmus covers Pavement songs"? I feel like with the internet giving us ever more information about who is in bands, what they're playing on tour, etc, this argument of "its not the real band" is wearing painfully thin. Just say "I don't like Smashing Pumpkins/Pavement" instead of creating this hysterical strawman about integrity of band lineups.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #541 on: March 03, 2014, 12:03:14 pm »
I never understood this thinking. Who cares? Its like all the people who won't go see "Smashing Pumpkins" because its just Billy or just Billy and Jimmy. They're not deceiving you on the lineup. You're seeing the principal songwriter/musician play his classic songs. If you like those songs, I don't understand refusing to go because its a different bass player. Would it be more palatable if the ticket said "Billy Corgan plays the Smashing Pumpkins' Greatest Hits" or "Malkmus covers Pavement songs"? I feel like with the internet giving us ever more information about who is in bands, what they're playing on tour, etc, this argument of "its not the real band" is wearing painfully thin. Just say "I don't like Smashing Pumpkins/Pavement" instead of creating this hysterical strawman about integrity of band lineups.

I didn't say its not the real band!

I'd still go see "Pavement" but there is a reason Pavement ended and its that Malkmus got tired of the charade/carrying the rest of the band.

« Reply #542 on: March 03, 2014, 12:07:16 pm »
Admittedly, I went on a slight tangent.

I agree that a "new" Pavement record would sound wildly similar to the Malkmus + Jicks solo records (which, other than the first one, I personally did not care for).
LVMH

azaghal1981

« Reply #543 on: March 03, 2014, 12:12:34 pm »
I'm all for a Pavement reunion.
This.

I think it's weird having went to both the NMH and Pavement reunion tours (who are similar in that they're both bands primarily from the 90's who waited a decade plus to finally give in and reunite). I left Pavement's show going "I would go see that band every year if they reformed permanently," and I left NMH going, "I really have no interest in seeing them again." On pure "how good was the set," they were probably even or maybe NHM was a bit more technically proficient, but I just wouldn't go see NMH again if I had the chance (unless it was free or something) whereas I'd go see Pavement every summer like some people do Pearl Jam.

Funny when I saw Pavement I left halfway through as they were so boring. Neutral Milk Hotel still sounds exciting and fresh.  Are you another guy on here stuck in the past?

Every time Pavement is brought up on this here board, you make the same post.

Exciting and fresh?? LOL.

I wouldn't have commented on Pavement as they are another boring has-been band but you somehow decided to insult Rock Gods Neutral Milk Hotel.  But I suggest they do come up with another album.  They might make something interesting.  Anyway Malkmus' solo work is awful.  I have no idea why anyone would attend his shows. 

I wonder why people on here like has-been bands so much.  It is quite a mystery.

You're touting a band that hasn't released an album since 1998 as exciting and fresh... on top of that freshness, what else has Jeff Magnum contributed to? A few random albums throughout the 00's?

I do love this cover but yeah, I agree on the whole. NMH is an only-need-to-see-once band until they put out new material (probably never) and Pavement would be fun to see once per year.
احمد

atomic

« Reply #544 on: March 03, 2014, 12:13:24 pm »

Well if they did say it was Billy Corgan playing Smashing Pumpkins it would be at a small club instead of an arena. So there is a difference and most of the fans of bands like the Smashing Pumpkins don't look up such things on the Internet.

emmanuel

« Reply #545 on: March 03, 2014, 12:20:25 pm »
I would like to see Pavement do a full set, and not the 60 minutes 3pm set they played in 2010 :/ So certainly for some of us, new reunion shows would make sense; they have not covered all cities.

Anyway I was at the Malkmus show last friday. Last time I could see him was his first 2001 tour I think. 13 years later I think it was quite similar, and at least this time he didn't have only 1 album worth of songs. Like the first reviewer said, it was a bit awkward because they didn't seem to care much, but the music was fine.

hutch

« Reply #546 on: March 03, 2014, 12:20:53 pm »

I agree that a "new" Pavement record would sound wildly similar to the Malkmus + Jicks solo records (which, other than the first one, I personally did not care for).

I'm surprised you did not like pig lib particularly with the bonus ep cd...

i always found pavement's stuff took time to really sink in (wowee zowee anyone?) and with malkmus its the same but people by and large don't seem to give it the time... not saying you.

obviously malkmus has not recorded anythingn as immediate as crooked rain

Yada

« Reply #547 on: March 03, 2014, 12:22:21 pm »

How does a Malkmus/Pavement fan not like Pig Lib?

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #548 on: March 03, 2014, 12:33:36 pm »
cinnamon and lesbians, sounds so much some other song, like the center musical verse of the thing was directly ripped off . . . but for the life of me, i cannot figure out from which one.

« Reply #549 on: March 03, 2014, 12:36:18 pm »
It's not bad, but its not great, IMHO either. I haven't listened to it in a very, very long time and have no plans to ever do so again. (Although if everyone on here is hype over it, maybe I will give it another chance.) I'm not saying it's Travistan or anything tho.
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #550 on: March 03, 2014, 12:37:17 pm »
cinnamon and lesbians, sounds so much some other song, like the center musical verse of the thing was directly ripped off . . . but for the life of me, i cannot figure out from which one.

You're joking, right brah?

Yada

« Reply #551 on: March 03, 2014, 12:38:00 pm »
It's not bad, but its not great, IMHO either. I haven't listened to it in a very, very long time and have no plans to ever do so again. (Although if everyone on here is hype over it, maybe I will give it another chance.) I'm not saying it's Travistan or anything tho.

Admittedly, huge fan of anything he puts out but yeah... that's a perfect album. Along with Real Emotional Trash.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #552 on: March 03, 2014, 12:40:07 pm »

from the first time i heard it . . . the tip of my tongue tingled with the testaments of this thing sounding like something else.

Yada

« Reply #553 on: March 03, 2014, 12:49:42 pm »

from the first time i heard it . . . the tip of my tongue tingled with the testaments of this thing sounding like something else.

I'm going to bite, St. Stephen... but I think you knew that.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #554 on: March 03, 2014, 12:54:02 pm »
HOLY CRAP!