Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1268143 times)

stevewizzle

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #795 on: July 15, 2014, 03:58:14 pm »
metz > cloud nothings

Wait, I thought they weren't playing together anywhere near here?!

ugh.

Love both of them.

i live oh-so-far-away in seattle now.

K8teebug

« Reply #796 on: July 17, 2014, 11:35:15 pm »
Well that was just wonderful. Thank you. I needed that.

(Plus it's nice when it takes five minutes to get home)

bearman🐻

« Reply #797 on: July 18, 2014, 08:29:57 am »
Well that was just wonderful. Thank you. I needed that.

(Plus it's nice when it takes five minutes to get home)

Great show. QOTSA were fantastic as usual, but Brody Dalle was on fire, and St. Vincent was incredibly cool to see too. I heard presale was only 3,500 but it seemed like there were a lot more folks there. QOTSA's set was very different than the SF show I saw in April. They dropped all the visuals behind them. This probably gives them more flexibility with changing the setlist, but I kind of miss the macabre visuals. But the performance was solid. Did anyone else get to talk to Jon Theodore on the VIP deck before the show? Super sweet guy & so talented. Very gracious & mild mannered.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #798 on: July 18, 2014, 08:38:25 am »
they cut one song......what was it?
(_|_)

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #799 on: July 18, 2014, 09:18:28 am »
...Like Clockwork? Fairweather Friends?

I enjoyed the show, we got right up to the stage on the right side and was able to jump in and out of the pit with no real obstacles. Was just kind of bummed they played a bulk of their new album. Nothing off the first, 3 songs off Rated R. Still tons of fun. I went up to 932 for a bit of the show, went back down for the end. Song For The Dead will always be awesome to see live. I walked over to the merch stand after the show and they sold out of posters as I was next in line. I'm so sad. First QOTSA show I've been to where I didn't snag the poster. Sigh.
‼‼?‼‼

bearman🐻

« Reply #800 on: July 18, 2014, 09:23:01 am »

It may have been "In the Fade". They normally play almost 2 hours. I thought the show seemed a little brief. I think they went on late. I asked Jon if they'd play it and he said they soundchecked with it, which meant there was a good chance they'd play it.

It may have also been 3's & 7's.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 09:25:38 am by bearman »

bearman🐻

« Reply #801 on: July 18, 2014, 09:23:59 am »
...Like Clockwork? Fairweather Friends?

Both of those where performed. Here's the setlist:

You Think I Ain't Worth a Dollar, but I Feel Like a Millionaire
No One Knows
My God Is the Sun
Smooth Sailing
I'm Designer
Monsters in the Parasol
I Sat by the Ocean
?Like Clockwork
If I Had a Tail
Little Sister
Turnin' on the Screw
Kalopsia
Fairweather Friends
Make It Wit Chu
Sick, Sick, Sick
The Lost Art of Keeping a Secret
Go With the Flow

Encore:
The Vampyre of Time and Memory
Feel Good Hit of the Summer
A Song for the Dead

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #802 on: July 18, 2014, 09:40:41 am »

It may have been "In the Fade". They normally play almost 2 hours. I thought the show seemed a little brief. I think they went on late. I asked Jon if they'd play it and he said they soundchecked with it, which meant there was a good chance they'd play it.

They played exactly an hour and a half down in Richmond. I was hoping there would go 2 hours last night. Only time I saw them play "In The Fade" was in Baltimore at Ram's Head.

Almost the same set, only difference in Richmond was Better Living Through Chemistry and Burn The Witch were added.
‼‼?‼‼

Vas Deferens

« Reply #803 on: July 18, 2014, 09:42:40 am »
yeah, it was a song after Sick, Sick, Sick that was cut so most likely 3's and 7's.
(_|_)

hutch

« Reply #804 on: July 18, 2014, 09:42:51 am »
I heard 930 staff walking around with walkie talkies about 907 pissed off they had not gone on yet..the guy was saying "yeah, typical 'rock stars'"

they were obviously supposed to go on at 9 and play til 1050...they may not have gone til 915/920..not sure

I loved the older stuff and the new stuff was just flat flat flat.....all the songs that got people going were old stuff....doesn't bode well for the future..

the drummer was a beast.. i thought i saw three older people front row of seated area with QOTSA bacckstage passes around their neck that looked like his family...

i really enjoyed the beginning of the show and the end.....i was facing the stage on the left side of the pit which was the wrong side as the band seemed to take up more of the stage to the right.....

Homme is a bit too static up there..

an aside: tons of hot chicks in the pit..most i've seen at a show in a while...

bearman🐻

« Reply #805 on: July 18, 2014, 09:43:14 am »

They played exactly an hour and a half down in Richmond. I was hoping there would go 2 hours last night. Only time I saw them play "In The Fade" was in Baltimore at Ram's Head.

Almost the same set, only difference in Richmond was Better Living Through Chemistry and Burn The Witch were added.

I'm kinda glad they dropped "Burn the Witch". I've seen that song plenty. They have so many good tunes it's ridiculous. I love the last LP, but I never get tired of seeing stuff like "You Can't Quit Me Baby" and "Regular John". The only thing I'd change is drop something like "Fairweather Friends" and add "the Bronze".

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #806 on: July 18, 2014, 10:00:31 am »

I'm kinda glad they dropped "Burn the Witch". I've seen that song plenty. They have so many good tunes it's ridiculous. I love the last LP, but I never get tired of seeing stuff like "You Can't Quit Me Baby" and "Regular John". The only thing I'd change is drop something like "Fairweather Friends" and add "the Bronze".
I'd drop half the new album and put in "Avon" the long ass "Regular John", "Mexicola", "Do It Again" and something long and weird like "Fun Machine Took A Shit And Died", "Someone's In The Wolf", "Better Living Through Chemistry" or "You Can't Quit Me Baby". I've seen a ton of their newer tour stuff online and it's heavy on the last album. It's fine, but honestly the sets I saw before that album were a lot more diverse. Not complaining. I love them. Just would love to hear some old stuff as well.
‼‼?‼‼

bearman🐻

« Reply #807 on: July 18, 2014, 10:03:20 am »

I loved the older stuff and the new stuff was just flat flat flat.....all the songs that got people going were old stuff....doesn't bode well for the future..

Homme is a bit too static up there..

I'm not sure I agree. I would say that "Kalopsia" is a pretty bruising. "...Like Clockwork" is one of the most beautiful songs they've ever done. When you consider what Josh had been through to make that LP, it not only shows up in the music but in the lyrics. Have you actually absorbed the words on that record? The severe depression and rehab Josh went through following his near death experience made it impossible for him to make music that was the same as what they'd done before. He hit rock bottom and nearly died. So he had to come up with a bigger statement about mortality, pain, and the fallout of what it takes to dig yourself out of the hole when you fall into it. I had an injury that sidelined me for months last year, so maybe that's why I relate to it. But that LP by far the most cohesive thing they've done, but Josh knows it's a dark record and he's not going to repeat it. Given that the band is performing in some of the biggest venues of their career I don't think they need to worry about the future. Besides, if they just decided to phone it in and play the first 3 LPs for the next 20 years, we'd all get pretty bored with that. They're too young and vital to become an oldies act that you pay $150 to go see at the Lube with Alice in Chains and Sublime with Rome.

Yada

« Reply #808 on: July 18, 2014, 10:13:52 am »
I would've loved to have heard "in the fade." That's my jam...

I thought the show rocked... sat dead center in row M or so, moved around a bit, and was more than happy I wasn't in the pit!

I thought St. Vincent was fucking awesome too, however, I don't think Annie Clark played her guitar on half the songs... or at least you couldn't hear it.

A side note, not really sure what the point of the VIP bar was/is? On a night like last night that was PERFECT weather, might as well just grab a beer and sit on the lawn a bit if you're not catching the show.

hutch

« Reply #809 on: July 18, 2014, 11:21:51 am »

A side note, not really sure what the point of the VIP bar was/is? On a night like last night that was PERFECT weather, might as well just grab a beer and sit on the lawn a bit if you're not catching the show.

There is no point..its stupid.