Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1269153 times)

vansmack

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #915 on: August 14, 2014, 05:23:25 pm »
Man United Banned Tablets at Old Trafford.

That's all I got.
27>34

dyecraig

« Reply #916 on: August 14, 2014, 07:11:21 pm »
Sorry I brought it up, let's move on, shall we?
Caught Steely Dan in Pittsburgh Monday at the Benedum Center - pretty precise and flawless (although not lacking soul), but what else would you expect?
http://www.post-gazette.com/ae/music-reviews/2014/08/11/Steely-Dan-recreates-its-studio-magic-at-the-Benedum/stories/201408110163
Scott Mervis has been doing some fine Pittsburgh-area music journalism for years.

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #917 on: August 24, 2014, 11:02:25 am »
big star thing was a blast. im generally skeptical of tribute shows but i cant imagine liking big star and not enjoying last night. note perfect renditions of those songs, played and sung by people who clearly have a deep connection to the music.

they did #1 record, then third, then an encore of you and your sister, september gurls (!!!!) and i am the cosmos

from where i was standing the crowd and the sound was among the best ive ever experienced. great night. thansk for booking that one, seth.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #918 on: August 24, 2014, 12:02:26 pm »
It was a blast... Highlights for me were Thirteen and Jesus Christ with Mike Mills taking lead. 

One of those on stage was Lesa Aldridge who the inspiration and girlfriend of Alex Clinton during the recording of Third.

per NPR

http://instagram.com/p/sED32MgPiI/
T.Rex

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #919 on: August 24, 2014, 12:32:12 pm »
thirteen was my highlight too. i was completely unfamiliar with the three who sang that one but they totally nailed a very tough song

i was also impressed with how seamlessly the whole band played. especially when they mentioned pat sansone flew in that day with no rehearsals. i know they had sheet music and all, but still. again, shows how much all involved actually cared about the music

my only complaint, and this was to be expected, was a lack of stuff from radio city (my favorite of the three). especially after seeing how well they handled the more rocking songs like feel or kizza me or when my babys beside me. would have loved to seen them tackle o my soul or you get what you deserve, but sepember gurls is an all time favorite song so seeing that was special.

so if theyre saving radio city for a future opening set ill absolutely be there too

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #920 on: August 24, 2014, 01:05:35 pm »
Hoping someone was keeping track of who sang what for the show...  It's a bummer The Posies were available having done the Cat's Cradle show the night before, they had their own gig in Seattle Sat.  I too would have preferred more from the first two records.  The #1 Record set seemed rushed and not as well rehearsed as the Third set. 

Some of the other performers last night  and I think Thirteen may have been these three + Chris Stamey

Skylar Gudasz - https://skylargudasz.bandcamp.com/releases
Brett Harris - http://www.brettharrismusic.com/
Django Hopkins - http://www.theoldceremony.com/

and John Davies currently of Title Tracks http://titletracksdc.blogspot.com/
T.Rex

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #921 on: August 24, 2014, 04:04:14 pm »
thirteen was just brett and django on guitar with skylar on lead vocals. hearing that song from a female voice was stunning. thats alway been one of my favorite big star tracks and that performance definitely had me a bit misty eyed. skylar was really impressive throughout, bouncing from vocals to flute to guitar. from what i gather those three have been involved in all these big stars third shows, and it was definitely reflected in their harmonies.

beyond that i only remember that pat did feel and mike did jesus christ. there werent really any vocals that i felt missed the mark, honestly. all of them really felt like theyd studied alex/chris' phrasing

the highest praise i can give that show is that i didnt want to listen to anything on my long metro ride home. big star is such an important band to me and getting to hear so many of those songs played live was a treat ill never forget.

i was also happy to see those two chris bell songs in the encore. his album is a bit spotty but when it hits its mark (title track definitely) its as good as big star ever was

thansk again seth. that was a special evening of music

Vas Deferens

« Reply #922 on: August 27, 2014, 01:18:50 pm »
LA show will have Dean Wareham, Ira Kaplan, Jason Falkner, Tommy Keene....

http://www.glidemagazine.com/122933/big-stars-3rd-1-record-star-cast-played-live-la/
(_|_)

K8teebug

« Reply #923 on: August 27, 2014, 02:47:25 pm »
Did anyone go to the GBV show?  Or is that this week?

Relaxer

« Reply #924 on: August 27, 2014, 04:14:15 pm »
I'm not seeing any GBV shows in the area in the previous week or the following week. They played the BC a few months ago though, and it was good.
oword

hutch

« Reply #925 on: August 27, 2014, 04:32:45 pm »

I went.. I posted two pics on the pictures/setlists thread

I enjoyed the show a lot but the 10% abv Beer Thousand kinda kicked my butt..

it was a long drive! almost to rehoboth!

Yada

« Reply #926 on: August 27, 2014, 04:43:24 pm »

^drunk driver^

hutch

« Reply #927 on: August 27, 2014, 04:47:27 pm »

^drunk driver^

they did play a salty salute... i wish they would stop playing it...it gets old..they need to vary their set list THAT   i will say.. the dc show at the black cat they played a ton of newer material but i honestly would be ok if they didn't play gold star for robot boy/i am a scientist/tractor rape chain and a few others again....they are great songs....but still.. i guess they do play like 50 song set lists

emmanuel

« Reply #928 on: August 27, 2014, 04:56:09 pm »
The Black Cat show was the first time they played where I live in 15 years. I would have liked more 1995-1997 material in DC, but probably my view of the show is biased from the late set and the very late return in Baltimore. I was somewhat bored at the end of the 50 song set.

hutch

« Reply #929 on: August 27, 2014, 05:15:33 pm »
The Black Cat show was the first time they played where I live in 15 years. I would have liked more 1995-1997 material in DC, but probably my view of the show is biased from the late set and the very late return in Baltimore. I was somewhat bored at the end of the 50 song set.

yeah they pretty much playeed mostly from bee thousand which they were hyping as the 20th anniversary of..

so some oldies they usually play were missing: my impression now, weed king, unleashed the large hearted boy etc etc... they played  more of these last week... and less of the two new albums they were largely playing from at the black cat.. really at the black cat it was almost 1 song from bee thousand 1 song from motivational jumpsuit and 1 song from cool planet...that was most of the show which was weird but unique