Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1299937 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #2220 on: September 14, 2016, 12:20:09 pm »
Car Seat Headrest were a lot of fun live.  I can see big things for them.  The Ottobar was packed and I was able to grab a spot near the front; almost everyone I could see was singing along to every song.  They did the loud quiet dynamic well, and reminded me of a throwback to the 90s.  I would not be surprised if their next tour they hit up the 930 Club and sell it out.   I had only listened to the new record once, and I would have probably skipped last night, but am glad I went, I am now a fan.
While it wasn't a sell out, they probably filled 75%+ of The National in Richmond which is comparable to 9:30 (actually a little larger). But the ticket price was cheap so that may have helped.
LVMH

« Reply #2221 on: September 14, 2016, 12:42:59 pm »
Car Seat Headrest were a lot of fun live.  I can see big things for them.  The Ottobar was packed and I was able to grab a spot near the front; almost everyone I could see was singing along to every song.  They did the loud quiet dynamic well, and reminded me of a throwback to the 90s.  I would not be surprised if their next tour they hit up the 930 Club and sell it out.   I had only listened to the new record once, and I would have probably skipped last night, but am glad I went, I am now a fan.
While it wasn't a sell out, they probably filled 75%+ of The National in Richmond which is comparable to 9:30 (actually a little larger). But the ticket price was cheap so that may have helped.
sadly one of the few shows without Lucy Dacus opening for them
they also just soldout    two nights at the Bowery ballroom in NYC
so they are ready to pack if not sell out the 930
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2222 on: September 14, 2016, 12:50:52 pm »
sadly one of the few shows without Lucy Dacus opening for them
To be fair, she has her own headlining show at The National within 30 days so there may have been some push back from the venue about cannibalizing her sales for that.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #2223 on: September 14, 2016, 02:10:19 pm »
Hey Hutch, when you were conducting your chemistry experiment with Lucinda, did you ax her when is she coming back to DC?

I did not....

but I am monitoring the situation... with personal interest...

Darth Ed

« Reply #2224 on: September 17, 2016, 06:04:34 pm »
Last night's God Is An Astronaut show at the Black Cat might be the best show I've seen this year. Those guys can rock, and the audience was really into it. The Black Cat has never sounded better, and I can't imagine a better light show at that venue.

hutch

« Reply #2225 on: September 17, 2016, 06:41:51 pm »
Last night's God Is An Astronaut show at the Black Cat might be the best show I've seen this year. Those guys can rock, and the audience was really into it. The Black Cat has never sounded better, and I can't imagine a better light show at that venue.

oooh I like rock....

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #2226 on: September 17, 2016, 09:22:07 pm »

There's been a lot of backlash against them for all the hype surrounding the new disc. But sometimes the hype is deserved. I downloaded the proscribed version with "Just What I Needed/Not Just What I Needed" and gave it several spins. Hype justified. While the dude often comes across as well-studied, he still manages to give his songs a personal spin. He know his shit; he can write very good long songs that sustain interest. The album is never "same-y" for lack of a better term, i.e. it doesn't sound like he writes the same song several times. When I find the time, I'll check out his backcatalog.
😐 🎶

killsaly

« Reply #2227 on: September 18, 2016, 11:43:35 am »
When I find the time, I'll check out his backcatalog.
I have to go through the catalog as well...  The only two albums I have so far are the Teen albums...

bearman🐻

« Reply #2228 on: September 22, 2016, 11:39:30 am »
Really loved Lush last night. Great set...nice alternating between classic shoegaze and blinding almost punk rock. Reminded me of a nice bridge between Slowdive and My Bloody Valentine. And Miki's voice sounded incredible. Justin Welch is a top-notch drummer.

saintangelsin

« Reply #2229 on: September 23, 2016, 12:36:19 pm »
Really loved Lush last night. Great set...nice alternating between classic shoegaze and blinding almost punk rock. Reminded me of a nice bridge between Slowdive and My Bloody Valentine. And Miki's voice sounded incredible. Justin Welch is a top-notch drummer.

I absolutely agree!!! I felt the band displayed their really beautiful stuff quite well and then really great energy during the more driving songs.  Totally spot on about moments and songs having a punk rock feel.  I heard that back in the day, Superblast would get played rather fast live. (Won't lie, it bums me out that they didn't play that one, but I can understand not playing a song if the entire band doesn't feel it's working.) For me, the show was like you could literally reach out and feel the airiness of the vocals and the grooves in the songs. And when they hit some gnarly grooves, they just killed it. It's weird to describe a concert as dreamy, but it totally was.

On a side note, I got to meet Phil and Miki after the show. Phil was cool. He signed a my set list. And appreciated hearing how I pretty much grew up listening to Lush.  Emma came out for a moment. The crowd overwhelmed her, so she went on the bus. i didn't get to talk to her, but she seemed incredibly nice. As for Miki, she was the fucking coolest. I was one of the only gals waiting outside to meet her. (All the dudes who were waiting was kind of funny and odd. A few felt like creepers...It sort of felt like a few were trying to hit on me even...so awkward) We discussed hair styles, guitars, and some music.  I'll explain the hair style thing - when I was in my late teens/early 20's, I would tell my hairstylist to make me look like I could've been in a shoegaze band. Seriously, I showed Miki a few pictures of when I had purple and red in my hair. And I was like "Not sure if you know this, but you're a bit of a style icon...at least to me and a few friends." When I showed her the photos, she gave me a hug and was like "brilliant stuff! You definitely look like you could've been in the band!" which then led into the discussion about guitars lol.

andyrichter

« Reply #2230 on: September 23, 2016, 10:39:54 pm »
I saw Lush in Boston and at Terminal 5 in NYC.  Never seen them before but I had a great time.  They exceeded my expectations.  I was also disappointed at no Superblast (someone yelled that in Boston and Miki let out a "you wish" lol).  But I heard pretty much every other song I wanted to hear.  For a band that's been away for so long, they were so tight.  Compliments to Justin Welch, that guy is so in the pocket.  I was lucky to catch one of his half broken drumsticks!  Him and Phil were just clicking.  They had such a great groove all night.  Miki and Emma were fucking brilliant. I definitely get the punk rock feel to them which is probably why I like them the most out of all the shoegazers that reunited over the last decade.  The crowds loved them.  I really hope they continue to put out new music and tour again in the future because I wouldn't miss it.  And also much love to Tamaryn.  Been a huge fan of hers and she was amazing.  Perfect opener for Lush. 

bearman🐻

« Reply #2231 on: September 24, 2016, 09:39:06 am »
Sadly this is it for Lush...everyone that caught the tour, count yourselves lucky. They're done. I was really sad to get that bit of news, but it makes the fact that they did this tour all the more special.

hutch

« Reply #2232 on: September 24, 2016, 10:15:31 am »
glad for everyone that enjoyed it so much! these type of reunion shows at the 930 are a real treat...

for whatever reason I never listened to them back in the day...which is strange cause I really listened to all the others a lot...

andyrichter

« Reply #2233 on: September 25, 2016, 11:04:05 am »
Sadly this is it for Lush...everyone that caught the tour, count yourselves lucky. They're done. I was really sad to get that bit of news, but it makes the fact that they did this tour all the more special.

Really? where did you hear that? Everything I've read in online interviews with Miki and Emma makes it seems like the door will be left open for new music and so presumably more shows in the future. I think even more so now that they know they have a fanbase that will come out to see them.

bearman🐻

« Reply #2234 on: September 26, 2016, 09:36:03 am »

Really? where did you hear that? Everything I've read in online interviews with Miki and Emma makes it seems like the door will be left open for new music and so presumably more shows in the future. I think even more so now that they know they have a fanbase that will come out to see them.

A reliable source unfortunately.