Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1268150 times)

gavroche

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #2865 on: February 02, 2018, 08:50:12 am »
Totally enjoyable Jen Cloher show at Rock N Roll hotel. Just enjoyable Indie rock. It was sold out but there must have been a lot of no shows because there was space to move. She kept the set short maybe played one song too long.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #2866 on: February 02, 2018, 09:17:02 am »
It was an awesome show.  8)

Totally enjoyable Jen Cloher show at Rock N Roll hotel. Just enjoyable Indie rock. It was sold out but there must have been a lot of no shows because there was space to move. She kept the set short maybe played one song too long.
(_|_)

bearman🐻

« Reply #2867 on: February 11, 2018, 05:49:42 pm »
Loved Bat Fangs, but I really enjoyed all 3 bands, especially Warm Sun. Great Friday evening.

Yada

« Reply #2868 on: February 13, 2018, 09:37:48 am »
that wanker from the UK puts on a snoozer of a show.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #2869 on: February 13, 2018, 09:39:07 am »
heard that the sound was very muddy last night  :'(

(_|_)

Yada

« Reply #2870 on: February 13, 2018, 09:53:27 am »

I didn't find the sound all that bad, but the band was pretty darn boring and bland... Additionally, a seated show?? WTF. I really don't get the whole seated aspect of the Anthem, especially for a "rock" show.

bearman🐻

« Reply #2871 on: February 13, 2018, 10:17:15 am »

I didn't find the sound all that bad, but the band was pretty darn boring and bland... Additionally, a seated show?? WTF. I really don't get the whole seated aspect of the Anthem, especially for a "rock" show.

Maybe it didn't sell that well? Weird. I thought about going but in the end, I was thinking it wasn't gonna beat Oasis at the old 9:30 for 5 bucks and I couldn't motivate my tired ass.

Yada

« Reply #2872 on: February 13, 2018, 10:21:02 am »

Maybe it didn't sell that well? Weird. I thought about going but in the end, I was thinking it wasn't gonna beat Oasis at the old 9:30 for 5 bucks and I couldn't motivate my tired ass.

I'm assuming it didn't sell well which is why I received the free tickets... what does that have to do with it being a seated show though? They make shows seated when tickets sales are lacking?

hutch

« Reply #2873 on: February 13, 2018, 10:58:54 am »
the place can do 2000 to 6000... I assume some shows are seated if the expectation is they will be closer to 2000...some are seated cause of the performance type...

I don’t get the issue...last time I saw Noel was at the warner...seated..before that oasis at patriot center tenth row seated...before that oasis at Nissan circa 95 from lawn Standing and boy did that suck

If a show is regular general admission you should see the desperation with which people seek out seats and try to sit!

« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 11:00:27 am by Cadet Bone Spurs »

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #2874 on: February 13, 2018, 11:02:46 am »
I found the show to be way more enjoyable than expected. I also thought the seats in the back - but raised above the floor - to be pretty nice. The sound was fine by the mixing desk.

Took a gamble and parked across the street. Not entrely sure DCPD would say it's legal, but we got away with it.

Definitely glad I went and thanks to Seth for the tickets!

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #2875 on: February 20, 2018, 12:29:06 pm »
STRFKR was pretty amazing on Saturday, exactly what I had hoped. Played all the great tracks including Atlantis and had a great light show and ticker tape presentation as well. Hodges is amazing, how he's not more famous is beyond me. Oh, maybe the whole band name thing.

Bagley

« Reply #2876 on: February 21, 2018, 06:46:19 pm »
Love fest at the Rock and Roll Hotel last night.  Soccer Mommy drummer wore a Phoebe Bridgers shirt and the Phoebe Bridgers drummer donned a Soccer Mommy shirt.  The band members seemed quite pleased  to be touring with each other.

Julien Baker invited Bridgers to tour with her a year or so ago.   Conor Oberst sings on her record and Ryan Adams and Craig Finn dig her music.  She has a Julien Baker sad atmospheric thing going (due, in part, to Harrison Whitford's slide guitar work)  with some humor and accessibility added.  Bridgers has a commanding stage presence.  The audience hinged on every word.

Soccer Mommy's material featured a guitar heavy droney jangle .  Sophie Allison, the band's singer and guitarist (clad in a Billy Ray Cyrus shirt for laughs, I hope) has the voice to match the sound.  I thought they actually sounded better acoustically then did Bridgers' band.

Even the songs between sets resonated with the crowd and kept the good vibes alive (i. e. Car Seat Headrest>Pavement>Elliott Smith).
So much fun!

Space Freely

« Reply #2877 on: March 01, 2018, 10:43:11 am »
Robbie Fulks, Jammin Java, 2/27/18:

Robbie took the stage a few minutes after I arrived. Solo. A fit, tall 55 year old man with his acoustic guitar. I prefer when he has some other pickers with him, but he's an accomplished solo player so can always carry the show on his own. A nice mix of old and new material. Funny stories throughout. It's interesting that this was the most expensive Fulks show I've ever been to in the last 20(?) years, even though he was sans band. I guess a Grammy nomination bumps up your ticket price. Maybe it went into the sound equipment. I must say, for a rinky dink place out in the suburbs that rarely books any acts of interest (people actually pay to see 311 tribute bands?), they have some really nice sound in the place.

The crowd was a nice mix of old and older white people. Average age, probably around 60. It seems like a lot of ugly people tend to like the music I like, and Robbie's crowd, myself included, may take the fruitcake. One of the fruits, a 50something woman sitting between Robbie and I, proceeded to stamp her clogs off the beat on the hardwood floor for every single quiet acoustic song. What a talent she was. Almost like it wasn't a solo show. But I digress.  A wise man once said "Country is Not Pretty." And speaking of not being pretty...

Frightened Rabbit, Black Cat, 2/28/18:

First, I have to say that there was a statistically significant amount of the crowd who looked like Ed Sheeran, and a few of them were even dudes.

The Rabbits took the stage a few minutes after I arrived. The singer looked and sounded like a bleating, bloated, aging (not well) fratboy in a baseball cap. The other (skinny) Rabbits looked like they were splitting the same bag of carrots. The skinny (vanilla) Rabbits played like they were gunning for an Easter presidential pardon, while the chubby vanilla singer bleated his drunken best in between his spoken word tales of the glory of whiskey and the pains of acid reflux. I must say that 10 years ago, when the singer bleated "You won't find love in a hole," he sounded like a frat boy wise beyond his years (at least for a Scottish guy.) Now, it just sounds a little forced and gross. This show was better as a $15 show when I saw it ten years ago at RNR Hotel. Now, for $35, not worth it. Even the good beer choices at CK and WF didn't help salvage it for me. Though it was cool hanging with VD.

This was my first Cat show in a number of years. I wonder if they'll ever get the sound anywhere near as good as the 9:30 or Jammin Java? I'm seeing Nada Surf there next week, they have six days to figure it out.

Yada

« Reply #2878 on: March 01, 2018, 10:56:24 am »
Good read, Space.

Did you write this yourself or is this a cut and paste from other regions of the net?

Space Freely

« Reply #2879 on: March 01, 2018, 11:22:54 am »
Good read, Space.

Did you write this yourself or is this a cut and paste from other regions of the net?
Thanks.

Truth be somewhat told, after two nights out away from the wife, I wrote it in the hopes of getting laid.

She would prefer a mushy love letter, but since I'm not the most mushy of romantics (perhaps I should listen to more Ed Sheeren and less Frightened Rabbit?), sharing my sometimes amusing thoughts with her is the next best thing. Maybe the mushy move letter will come later in the day, but I'll refrain from posting it here. These show reviews I sent her seemed right for this thread though.

We're going together to the Nada Surf show. Maybe we'll do a duel review. Or a dual review.