Author Topic: ORIOLES  (Read 476785 times)

shemptiness

Re: ORIOLES
« Reply #1110 on: September 13, 2013, 04:14:26 pm »
You are 'sure'?  Really?

shemptiness

« Reply #1111 on: September 13, 2013, 09:33:10 pm »
This is a bizarre stat:

Davis also is the third player in major league history to hit 50 homers and 40 doubles in a season, joining
Babe Ruth (59 homers/44 doubles in 152 games in 1921) and Albert Belle (52 homers/50 doubles for Cleveland in 143 games in 1995).

James Ford

« Reply #1112 on: September 14, 2013, 01:37:21 pm »
Like the old saying goes it aint over till Kelly Clarkson sings.

vansmack

« Reply #1113 on: September 15, 2013, 07:55:24 pm »
This is a bizarre stat:

Agreed.  And they're three completely different players so it's tough to figure out...
27>34

K8teebug

« Reply #1114 on: September 16, 2013, 09:18:05 am »
Everyone else took their suspensions. 

He is a cheater and a liar and a jerk and my most hated sports figure of all time ever.

That is a big exageration.  Think of all the sports figures who have killed people.  You hate him more than OJ or they guy from the Patriots?  How about Michael Vick? How about the guy from the Olympics with no legs.   Surely you hate Michael Vick more than Arod.  I am sure Cal Ripken and Nolan Ryan were on steroids.  If you hate people who used steroids you should basically stop watching baseball.

I actually do hate him the most.

I don't believe everyone was on steroids.  I don't think Cal Ripken was.  I do think plenty of Orioles were (Brady Anderson, etc).  One of the reasons I hope Chris Davis breaks the record is because of Brady Anderson holding it now. 

Steriods is a sad sad part of baseball history.  I don't like A-Rod because he cheats in ways that are not about steriods.  Also, the other players mentioned took their suspensions like men, and he's being an ass about it.

K8teebug

« Reply #1115 on: September 16, 2013, 09:18:34 am »
Orioles tied for most errorless games ever!

James Ford

« Reply #1116 on: September 16, 2013, 09:36:48 am »
Why are steroids a sad, sad part of baseball history? What's so wrong with them?

hutch

« Reply #1117 on: September 16, 2013, 11:23:44 am »
count me as somebody that thinks steroids and all that stuff shouldn't be monitored.. it should be a legal issue not a baseball issue

and if baseball really cares about steroids then when a player admits he used steroids i think if they got a huge contract based on the steroid taking performance then i think the only way to truly fight them is to have the contracct invalidated..

otherwise its all hot air because a guy uses roids during a contract year, pumps up his stats, and then gets rewarded with a 100 million contract.. then lets say he admits later he did use... so he gets a suspension and gets to keep his 100 million?? and then he stops using steroids so he sucks but the team is stuck with him???

there is no way for anyone to really know if davis is using steroids or HGH or whatever.. no way at all.. to simply assume he isn't is pretty naive though...

but there are many players that if i had to bet i'd bet they've been using.. a certain guy who played for the cardinals and put up unbelievable numbers...for a real long time.. for example..and, no, not mcgwire
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 11:26:12 am by hutch »

atomic

« Reply #1118 on: September 16, 2013, 11:50:09 am »
count me as somebody that thinks steroids and all that stuff shouldn't be monitored.. it should be a legal issue not a baseball issue

and if baseball really cares about steroids then when a player admits he used steroids i think if they got a huge contract based on the steroid taking performance then i think the only way to truly fight them is to have the contracct invalidated..

otherwise its all hot air because a guy uses roids during a contract year, pumps up his stats, and then gets rewarded with a 100 million contract.. then lets say he admits later he did use... so he gets a suspension and gets to keep his 100 million?? and then he stops using steroids so he sucks but the team is stuck with him???

there is no way for anyone to really know if davis is using steroids or HGH or whatever.. no way at all.. to simply assume he isn't is pretty naive though...

but there are many players that if i had to bet i'd bet they've been using.. a certain guy who played for the cardinals and put up unbelievable numbers...for a real long time.. for example..and, no, not mcgwire

I am pretty sure Cal Ripken and Nolan Ryan were on steroids.  Both in the hall of fame.  I think the punishment should be once you are out a season.  Second time for live.  I would blame the union for players being on Steroids.  Only congress getting involved made baseball start testing.  I don't like players being on steroids at all, I don't think it is fair to the clean players.  I would never take steroids.

hutch

« Reply #1119 on: September 16, 2013, 12:06:30 pm »

I am pretty sure Cal Ripken and Nolan Ryan were on steroids.  Both in the hall of fame.  I think the punishment should be once you are out a season.  Second time for live.  I would blame the union for players being on Steroids.  Only congress getting involved made baseball start testing.  I don't like players being on steroids at all, I don't think it is fair to the clean players.  I would never take steroids.

well i'm just surprised to hear you say that about cal unless you're just saying that to get people riled up.....because he really tanked the last many many years...if he was on steroids you'd have thought he might have pulled a bonds where his numbers got better as he got older..but once he turned 35 or so he really declined..and arguably he was never the same after his greatest year in 1991.... unless you're saying he was taking steroids in the early 80s which is ludicrous i think... not to mention his body just didn't look like it.. i'd bet the house cal never used.... and there aren't that many players i would say that about..
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 12:10:38 pm by hutch »

atomic

« Reply #1120 on: September 16, 2013, 12:10:01 pm »

well i'm just surprised to hear you say that about cal unless you're just saying that to get people riled up.....because he really tanked the last many many years...if he was on steroids you'd have thought he might have pulled a bonds where his numbers got better as he got older..but once he turned 35 or so he really declined..and arguably he was never the same after his greatest year in 1991.... unless you're saying he was taking steroids in the early 80s which is ludicrous i think... not to mention his body just didn't look like it.. i'd be the house cal was never used.... and there aren't that many players i would say that about..

Steroids are supposed to age you prematurely also it is supposed to help you to recover from injuries quickers.

hutch

« Reply #1121 on: September 16, 2013, 12:13:59 pm »

well i'm just surprised to hear you say that about cal unless you're just saying that to get people riled up.....because he really tanked the last many many years...if he was on steroids you'd have thought he might have pulled a bonds where his numbers got better as he got older..but once he turned 35 or so he really declined..and arguably he was never the same after his greatest year in 1991.... unless you're saying he was taking steroids in the early 80s which is ludicrous i think... not to mention his body just didn't look like it.. i'd be the house cal was never used.... and there aren't that many players i would say that about..

Steroids are supposed to age you prematurely also it is supposed to help you to recover from injuries quickers.

i'm not convinced.. i'm sure steroids help prolong your level of performance..  you can look at many many sports and see that older athletes are doing better and better and i think its in part because they avail themselves to whatever they can.. a guy like clemens for example.. he was pitching great into i think almost his mid 40s!

but i do concede that some players' bodies break down seemingly out of nowhere and you wonder why and it does seem like it must have been roids or something.. a guy named garciaparra comes to mind..

i think the whole thing about steroids causing your body to break down is rather murky... i mean look at bonds... obviously the roids helped him maintain and even increase tremendous batspeed etc into older age when he should have been on the downslope..

James Ford

« Reply #1122 on: September 16, 2013, 12:20:05 pm »
Golfers and NASCAR drivers both seem to do very well in their 40's. Are they all on steroids too?

hutch

« Reply #1123 on: September 16, 2013, 12:21:58 pm »
the point is let them do what they want as long as they don't do something against the laws of the United States in which case their problem is with the legal system

i dont want to sit around thinking "oh this year he did this" or he must have been on the roids.. i want to think they all did whatever they could and felt comfortable doing and whoever is best is best under those rules of the game.... the current scheme means some people cheat and some don't... and some get caught and some don't... i no longer really enjoy baseball because i have no idea who is "cheating" or not.. stop calling it cheating..let them do what they want and i'll be able to enjoy the play more... i mean was lifting weights cheating? players always are going to do what they can to play their best..its human nature and the economics of the game make it necessary......

grow up people.. i mean seriously grow the fuck up.. players are going to do what they can to play better....

i remember how everybody hated bonds so much.. picked on the guy so much.. and it tturned out they were all fucking doing the same thing! and i knew it but people wanted to make him responsible.... wake up people they are all doing it.. do you really think the jamaican runners who all of a sudden are the fastest people on earth are not doing it?

hutch

« Reply #1124 on: September 16, 2013, 12:23:36 pm »
Golfers and NASCAR drivers both seem to do very well in their 40's. Are they all on steroids too?

ha ha.. of course there are sports where steroids would add nothing... like NASCAR....  we do remember a very bulked up tiger woods a few years ago....

but look at a guy like nadal in tennis...

look at the tour de france guys.. somebody just won the vuelta de espana cycling race and they can't find him to get the post race samples.. he's dissapeared!

look at the jamaican runners..

and it goes on and on and on..