Author Topic: TBD  (Read 1167912 times)

Relaxer

Re: A Various Random Thoughts Thread
« Reply #630 on: October 12, 2012, 04:16:55 pm »
I'm also bummed that I'm just getting into Metz now after they played DC9 a month ago. Dammit! That said, they're at the Red Palace as an opener on Nov. 17 so that's good.

Great noisy rock album, really digging it.
oword

atomicfront

« Reply #631 on: October 12, 2012, 04:22:48 pm »
Professional musicians are honored best when they are treated as professional musicians. Sure, if hobbyist players want to play for free, fine. But you get what you pay for.

I've heard from many professional musicians trying to start a career or just get a little scratch who are routinely asked to play for free at weddings. Yet the wedding party will pay for the catering, photographer, minister, etc. These are musicians who have spent most of their lives honing their skills and paying tens of thousands of dollars for lessons and professional-grade instruments and their care. I've got friends who have played for presidents. They get paid.

i checked out prices for live performers for my recent wedding and the prices they are charge are far from free.   And when you look at the fact that you can get Polyphonic Spree to play your event for 10k it makes the prices even look more out of line.

i think amanda is looking for fans to play not  professional quality musicians.   if she pays someone to play than the fans wouldn't get a chance to pefrorm.  the whole backlash is ridiculous. 

Relaxer

« Reply #632 on: October 12, 2012, 05:18:10 pm »
It's lame for her to do this. Do you think she's going to charge less for her shows since members of the band are playing for free? Of course not, she's going to frantically stampede toward any and every dollar she can. So the ticket-buying fans are getting a discount amateur product but paying full rate.

She raised more than a million dollars from her fans, so she has the ability to pay musicians. Does she seriously require $1.2 million to make a record? What she's doing, and then trying to be all cutesy about it, sucks. I love the Albini line that this move demonstrates that Amanda Palmer is proving she's more stupid than every dumb-fucking band like Creed, Limp Bizkit, GG Allin, etc. who never needed to beg their fans for free money and services.

And really, she can say all she wants that she's just allowing her fans to play but that's similar to Vince Neil saying, hey I was just giving all those bitches a chance to fuck a rock star, and that doesn't make him any less of a pig.
oword

atomicfront

« Reply #633 on: October 13, 2012, 09:51:40 am »
It's lame for her to do this. Do you think she's going to charge less for her shows since members of the band are playing for free? Of course not, she's going to frantically stampede toward any and every dollar she can. So the ticket-buying fans are getting a discount amateur product but paying full rate.

She raised more than a million dollars from her fans, so she has the ability to pay musicians. Does she seriously require $1.2 million to make a record? What she's doing, and then trying to be all cutesy about it, sucks. I love the Albini line that this move demonstrates that Amanda Palmer is proving she's more stupid than every dumb-fucking band like Creed, Limp Bizkit, GG Allin, etc. who never needed to beg their fans for free money and services.

And really, she can say all she wants that she's just allowing her fans to play but that's similar to Vince Neil saying, hey I was just giving all those bitches a chance to fuck a rock star, and that doesn't make him any less of a pig.

I am guessing you have never seen amanda palmer/dresden dolls/evelyn evelyn live or even listen to their music. The lame bands that you mention don't get money from their fans becuase they were on major labels who handled their promotion, videos, tour, album production, distribution etc etc.  Amanda quit her label when they told her she needed to lose weight.  Even though she is quite skinny. 

She didn't get 1.2 million.  People bought mechandise or if they donated a dollar they got the album on mp3s.  The backlash is there because people can't stand she is doing this without the music industry.  No pitchfork stellar reviews.  No record label promotion.  No hipsters worshipping her on the web. 

Of course the musicians that are playing with her are of amateur level ability.  that is part of the charm.  They are going up on stage and having a good time.  Amanda meets with her fans after shows.   She encouraged the crowd to come and perform when she was in the Dresden Dolls.  She has put out 4 classic albums which have been ignored by everyone except her fans.  I am sure if radiohead offered their fans a chance to sing with them on stage you would be rushing to sign up

She pays here band year round.  Even when they aren't performing.  These are amateur fans who are coming up and having a good time.  The point is not about how great they sound it is about eveyone haveing a great time. 

Anyway she is paying her volunteers even the ones that performed already.   I wonder if you have a problem with festivals that millions of dollars like Lollapalooza or Bonnaroo paying having volunteers or the baseball teams paying their players millions of dollars and playing people who worked there close to minimum wage?  As opposed to people that are doing things because they want to.  Not one volunteer has complained about not being paid.  No one has not shown up.

The thing is ridiculous.  And I am sure if here kickstarter had only raised 2000 dollars and she couldn't produce her album no one would worry about her at all..  It is just because she is actually donig something amazing and she doesn't need the old non working music system and is coming out and saying all music should be free the record industry is finding ways to try and discredit her.

ANd who is steve albini? 

nkotb

« Reply #634 on: October 13, 2012, 05:21:25 pm »
Two dumbest sentences here:

She has put out 4 classic albums which have been ignored by everyone except her fans. 

ANd who is steve albini? 

Vas Deferens

« Reply #635 on: October 13, 2012, 05:29:03 pm »
Amanda Palmer blows, that's for sure.
(_|_)

azaghal1981

« Reply #636 on: October 13, 2012, 07:39:24 pm »
Steve Albini agrees with her assertion that recorded music should be freely available and is as anti-conventional music industry as it gets. So your argument does not really hold water.
He just did a reddit AMA where he addressed the Emily White drama and has been an outspoken proponent of file-sharing as long as I remember. Whether or not you agree with that (guessing most would not) is another debate in and of itself.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 07:42:22 pm by azaghal1981 »
احمد

killsaly

« Reply #637 on: October 15, 2012, 11:24:04 am »
Question was answered by the band so I deleted my post.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 12:33:56 pm by killsaly »

hutch

« Reply #640 on: October 16, 2012, 02:53:59 pm »
I got no concerts I am excited about the next two weeks... which is a bummer..I could use something..

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #641 on: October 16, 2012, 03:03:47 pm »
don't you think Amanda Palmer was really into "RENT: The Musical"?
(o|o)

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #642 on: October 16, 2012, 03:16:51 pm »
don't you think Amanda Palmer was really into "RENT: The Musical"?

Shit, it seems like the whole freaking indie scene has gone Glee. Did you see Passion Pit on SNL?
😐 🎶

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #643 on: October 16, 2012, 03:20:59 pm »
two words

redd kross

when they changed their style . . . it all died.

azaghal1981

« Reply #644 on: October 16, 2012, 03:30:43 pm »
I like the new Red Kross.

Hutch, not a Dino fan?
احمد