Author Topic: TBD  (Read 1167977 times)

hutch

Re: A Various Random Thoughts Thread
« Reply #735 on: November 14, 2012, 02:19:24 pm »
When somebody's taking extra seats I always just look at them and then the seat like i'm gonna sit there and they always accomodate.  Not always happily, but this always works when I do it.

I love metro, standing or sitting.  Big headphones come between me and all the rude people. 

oh great.. so you're that guy blasting the music so that everyone can hear it..

;D

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #736 on: November 14, 2012, 02:29:08 pm »
When somebody's taking extra seats I always just look at them and then the seat like i'm gonna sit there and they always accomodate.  Not always happily, but this always works when I do it.

I love metro, standing or sitting.  Big headphones come between me and all the rude people. 

oh great.. so you're that guy blasting the music so that everyone can hear it..

;D
Nope they are closed over the ear studio monitors, designed specifically for no sound bleed.  sorry!

hutch

« Reply #737 on: November 14, 2012, 02:39:35 pm »
good chaz..good.

James Ford

« Reply #738 on: November 14, 2012, 02:56:07 pm »
With every five bad Metro stories comes a good one, so I'll share my good one.

One the second of three crowded Metro trains this morning, I noticed a fine young gentleman (think Carlton from Fresh Prince of Bel Air) anticipating people needing a seat, and he moved his large suitcase onto his lap. After scanning to make sure there weren't any pregnant, elderly, disabled or blind people who might need to seat, I took it and thanked him.

I'm just amazed at the different experience that is Metro vs. VRE. One time I got on a nearly empty VRE car and absentmindedly put my backpack on the seat next to me. Soon thereafter a VRE conductor approached me and insisted that I put th backpack on the ground because:

a. potential patrons might want that seat
b. I should NEVER put my backpack on a seat because it could "potentially get dirt on a seat that a patron might sit down in."

I wish THAT guy had been working on the Metro train when I had my encounter with Precious.

Another oddity is that Metro doesn't allow food on the train whereas VRE does (MARC even lets you consume your own alcohol (!), and yet there seem to be much more good spills on Metro.

James Ford

« Reply #739 on: November 14, 2012, 03:23:06 pm »
I was on the Metro the other day and had my ipod at near high volume. Seated in front of me was a 50something woman (think cleaning lady in a federal building) who also had an ipod. For several minutes she proceeded to belt out the foreign language tune in such a booming fashion that I heard her singing over the Slayer song that was playing on my ipod.

fatskippy

« Reply #740 on: November 14, 2012, 03:41:20 pm »
Wow those are some great stories. Do you have a blog I can subscribe to?

James Ford

« Reply #741 on: November 14, 2012, 03:48:07 pm »
No, but if you're interested in feminist and parenting issues, my wife has one.

Wow those are some great stories. Do you have a blog I can subscribe to?

nkotb

« Reply #742 on: November 14, 2012, 03:52:51 pm »
I'm mostly excited about THIS sentence!

Slayer song that was playing on my ipod.

Relaxer

« Reply #743 on: November 14, 2012, 04:12:27 pm »
Okay, there is no way in God's green Earth that James Ford was listening to Slayer.
oword

James Ford

« Reply #744 on: November 14, 2012, 04:19:53 pm »
Dude, nobody listens to Slayer. You simply experience them.

Okay, there is no way in God's green Earth that James Ford was listening to Slayer.

Relaxer

« Reply #745 on: November 14, 2012, 04:21:56 pm »
Well well, I was just listening to Slayer not two hours ago whilst out running/freezing my bizalls off. "It's warm in the sun" MY ASS
oword

Relaxer

« Reply #746 on: November 14, 2012, 04:22:27 pm »
I am a total Christ Illusion apologist. And I don't even care much for Reign in Blood.
oword

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #747 on: November 14, 2012, 08:04:39 pm »
i actually see nothing wrong with this response. After living in NYC long enough, you learn to NEVER EVER EVER touch anyone for anything. Id have punched someone too if they touched my leg. Ive had guys put their hands on me, grope me in crowded trains, and ive elbowed more than my share. Im used to beyond crowded trains (people pushing in as doors are closing) so if you *have* to sit, wait for another train. Good luck tho - as you cant always assume there is one right behind. In NYC your odds are much better, but in DC maybe not.

Its an extreme response, but touching someone for any reason that you dont know, is f'ing insane. 

You should not touch anyone, even if you do not agree with what they are doing.  While i dont agree with what the girl was doing, I definitely do not agree with you touching her.  Her punching your head was an appropriate response.
HeyLa

wml7

« Reply #748 on: November 14, 2012, 08:06:36 pm »

James Ford

« Reply #749 on: November 14, 2012, 08:24:18 pm »
This is how wars start. Seems like a more civilized response would be to move your leg from where it doesn't belong.

If you're going to advocate punching someone (which I don't), maybe advocate punching them in the arm. Or even elbow them in the gut. A punch to the face can do serious damage.

i actually see nothing wrong with this response. After living in NYC long enough, you learn to NEVER EVER EVER touch anyone for anything. Id have punched someone too if they touched my leg. Ive had guys put their hands on me, grope me in crowded trains, and ive elbowed more than my share. Im used to beyond crowded trains (people pushing in as doors are closing) so if you *have* to sit, wait for another train. Good luck tho - as you cant always assume there is one right behind. In NYC your odds are much better, but in DC maybe not.

Its an extreme response, but touching someone for any reason that you dont know, is f'ing insane. 

You should not touch anyone, even if you do not agree with what they are doing.  While i dont agree with what the girl was doing, I definitely do not agree with you touching her.  Her punching your head was an appropriate response.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 08:47:37 pm by James Ford »