Author Topic: Van Halen Sucks  (Read 42051 times)

slappy

Re: Van Halen Sucks
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2013, 12:43:12 pm »
So this must have been the ultimate in suckatude?

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2013, 12:46:47 pm »

Saw them on this tour on their 2nd leg through dc...amazing show.

Life changing, in fact.

chaz

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2013, 12:47:54 pm »
I don't like some of Van Halen stuff, but I think they're a solid 80's rock group. Personally, I don't think they hold a candle to GNR, but it was semi different times in the decade. I think Eddie and Diamond Dave are both epic levels of ass hats, but I think what they had for an amount of time was magic. I play guitar, I love playing guitar and watching/listening to gods play guitar and EVH is absolutely up their in my top 10 if not top 5 all time.

So, people can say they suck, and that's fine, I think they rock. At least most of the time. Come on, that drum intro on "Hot For Teacher" into that crazy tapping intro from Eddie? Dude.
Solid defense of non-suckitude.

atomicfront

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2013, 01:40:29 pm »

I tried to get tickets to a DAR consitution hall show by them in 1984 at constitution hall. I  believe it was later in the year.  But by the time I got off work the day tickets went on sale they were already gone.. Still haven't seen them.  But by the looks of that set-list that kind of sucks I missed it. Too bad their wasn't stubhub back then.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2013, 01:51:42 pm »

Could be.  I've never heard this show but this would represent the timeframe in which they (in my opinion) started to suck.  I realize this is not popular opinion but couldn't care less.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2013, 02:47:34 pm »

Life changing, in fact.

Agreed - I saw them at the Cap Centre (4/8/85) and it was incredible at the time!

1.  11 O'Clock Tick Tock
2.  I Will Follow
3.  Seconds
4.  MLK
5.  The Unforgettable Fire
6.  Break On Through (snippet) / Wire / Give Me Some Truth (snippet)
7.  Sunday Bloody Sunday
8.  The Cry
9.  The Electric Co. / Wooden Heart (snippet) / Amazing Grace (snippet)
10.  A Sort Of Homecoming
11.  Bad / I'm Waiting For The Man (snippet) / Norwegian Wood (snippet) / Ruby Tuesday (snippet) / Sympathy For The Devil (snippet)
12.  October
13.  New Year's Day
14.  Pride (In The Name Of Love)

encore(s):
1.  Knockin' On Heaven's Door
2.  Gloria
3.  40 / Do They Know It's Christmas (snippet) / We Are The World (snippet)

atomicfront

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2013, 03:06:14 pm »

Could be.  I've never heard this show but this would represent the timeframe in which they (in my opinion) started to suck.  I realize this is not popular opinion but couldn't care less.

But "All that you can't leave behind" came out 16 years later and is a pretty awesome album. 

chaz

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2013, 03:16:35 pm »

Life changing, in fact.

Agreed - I saw them at the Cap Centre (4/8/85) and it was incredible at the time!

1.  11 O'Clock Tick Tock
2.  I Will Follow
3.  Seconds
4.  MLK
5.  The Unforgettable Fire
6.  Break On Through (snippet) / Wire / Give Me Some Truth (snippet)
7.  Sunday Bloody Sunday
8.  The Cry
9.  The Electric Co. / Wooden Heart (snippet) / Amazing Grace (snippet)
10.  A Sort Of Homecoming
11.  Bad / I'm Waiting For The Man (snippet) / Norwegian Wood (snippet) / Ruby Tuesday (snippet) / Sympathy For The Devil (snippet)
12.  October
13.  New Year's Day
14.  Pride (In The Name Of Love)

encore(s):
1.  Knockin' On Heaven's Door
2.  Gloria
3.  40 / Do They Know It's Christmas (snippet) / We Are The World (snippet)

That's the show I saw too...blew my 13 year old mind.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2013, 03:25:06 pm »
The best part of the show was Bono's irritation with Cap Centre security:

http://u2station.com/tours/1985/04/april-8-1985---landover-maryland-usa---capital-centre.php

This particular night, Bono was mad. Mad at the arena security that is. A bunch of underpaid bullies with no sense of what a concert is supposed to be. During the first few songs, the security guards around the stage were harassing any fan who was having a good time. Bono had had enough, and told the security guards to stop pushing the fans around. Then he ordered the security to leave, and the band refused to play another note until all stage security left the area. Deafening cheers from the 10,000 in attendance. Bono also said to those unfortunate fans in the nosebleeds to come down and sit closer, which literally ended up starting a near-riot. From then on, the show was incredible. Unfortunately, the near-riot caused local officials and the Capitol Centre staff to ban U2 from ever performing in that venue again.

hutch

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2013, 03:27:30 pm »
for whatever reason I've never seen U2....

but I'd have really liked to see the 1983 or the one on Live Under a Blood Red Sky.. or the next year would have been fine....that period... before joshua tree.... the period where they were sort of a band that mattered....it was more than the music or "hits"....they were hungry, they had something important to say (and the credibility to say it), etc.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2013, 03:32:24 pm »
Van Halen > U2
‼‼?‼‼

chaz

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2013, 03:38:59 pm »
The best part of the show was Bono's irritation with Cap Centre security:

http://u2station.com/tours/1985/04/april-8-1985---landover-maryland-usa---capital-centre.php

This particular night, Bono was mad. Mad at the arena security that is. A bunch of underpaid bullies with no sense of what a concert is supposed to be. During the first few songs, the security guards around the stage were harassing any fan who was having a good time. Bono had had enough, and told the security guards to stop pushing the fans around. Then he ordered the security to leave, and the band refused to play another note until all stage security left the area. Deafening cheers from the 10,000 in attendance. Bono also said to those unfortunate fans in the nosebleeds to come down and sit closer, which literally ended up starting a near-riot. From then on, the show was incredible. Unfortunately, the near-riot caused local officials and the Capitol Centre staff to ban U2 from ever performing in that venue again.
When Bono did the come on down bit me and my girlfriend started making our way down into the lower bowl...until a security guard punched me in the stomach.  I was 13. 

chaz

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2013, 03:40:09 pm »
for whatever reason I've never seen U2....

but I'd have really liked to see the 1983 or the one on Live Under a Blood Red Sky.. or the next year would have been fine....that period... before joshua tree.... the period where they were sort of a band that mattered....it was more than the music or "hits"....they were hungry, they had something important to say (and the credibility to say it), etc.

I love everything up to and including Unforgettable Fire.  And that one might be my favorite.

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2013, 03:42:10 pm »
I don't like some of Van Halen stuff, but I think they're a solid 80's rock group. Personally, I don't think they hold a candle to GNR, but it was semi different times in the decade. I think Eddie and Diamond Dave are both epic levels of ass hats, but I think what they had for an amount of time was magic. I play guitar, I love playing guitar and watching/listening to gods play guitar and EVH is absolutely up their in my top 10 if not top 5 all time.

So, people can say they suck, and that's fine, I think they rock. At least most of the time. Come on, that drum intro on "Hot For Teacher" into that crazy tapping intro from Eddie? Dude.

OMFG GnR LOL, Axl is the ABSOLUTE WORST vocalist in all of music history.  He doesn't even sing, he screeches.  And that horrible sweet child of mine, gak it makes deaf dogs puke. The only reason he was in the band oi that his mom let them use their garage for practice.
FUKIT

hutch

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2013, 03:48:05 pm »
I think U2s first US show or close- on their first tour- where people thought they were a gay band apparently because of the Boy cover, they played the Bayou in Georgetown.. I'd have loved to have seen that one too!