Author Topic: The Video Game Thread  (Read 26045 times)

miss pretentious

• ohai.
The Video Game Thread
« on: June 27, 2008, 09:58:00 am »
We need one. So I'll start it off for Nintendo geeks. Also I want Boom Blox. Now. kthx.

In case you missed it, Amazon is doing all Nintendo deals today with Gold Box + Lightning deals every couple hours. http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=cs_top_nav_gb27

Super Smash Brothers is like $25.99 now and I'mma wait for Galaxy to go up before I finally pick these two titles up.

Also, if you can't seem to find  Mario Kart for Wii anywhere...it may end up on a big sale at about 5 p.m.
nothx

Relaxer

Re: The Video Game Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 10:19:00 am »
I'm hoping to buy a Wii and Wii Fit for the wife's birthday, but damned if I can find it anywhere (and I've spent at least 30 seconds looking at Amazon and Buy.com).

Can anyone recommend the best way to get one? Unfortunately I don't have the ability right now to drive around from store to store looking either.

Currently am emailing with people selling "new! still sealed in box!" Wiis on Craigs List and that's the way I'll probably go, unless someone says "ZOMFG, teh wee @ wii-b-toyz'n'shit 2nite zoobrah!"
oword

eros

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 10:22:00 am »
http://wiitracker.com/

That's how the wife found ours at Christmas.
ʎɐʍou

distance

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 11:01:00 am »
we got a wii on launch night.. my girlfriend had gotten into a bad car accident a couple days before it came out, but refused to not go get it (went to get it neck brace and all), but honestly i have found it to be incredibly disappointing.  maybe as far as my enjoyment goes, the right games haven't come out for it yet.  i am looking forward to playing the force unleashed on it.  we got a 360 last summer (and after actually not opening it for 2 months), shortly after actually starting to play it we packed up the wii).  i really like the whole achievement point system and the xbox live setup compared to the wii's online stuff.  i don't know.  i'm still working on gta4.  i am enjoying it.

Relaxer

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 11:18:00 am »
Originally posted by distance:
  we got a wii on launch night.. my girlfriend had gotten into a bad car accident a couple days before it came out, but refused to not go get it (went to get it neck brace and all), but honestly i have found it to be incredibly disappointing.  maybe as far as my enjoyment goes, the right games haven't come out for it yet.  i am looking forward to playing the force unleashed on it.  we got a 360 last summer (and after actually not opening it for 2 months), shortly after actually starting to play it we packed up the wii).  i really like the whole achievement point system and the xbox live setup compared to the wii's online stuff.  i don't know.  i'm still working on gta4.  i am enjoying it.
I have almost no interest in the Wii, as I prefer PC gaming to consoles (and the console games I like aren't gonna be on the Wii). But it seems like something the wife would like, especially the Wii Fit thing. Plus we've got a 4-year-old and I'll bet he'd like the Wii games.

So instead of getting the super-awesome-goddamn-fun 360 or PS3, I'm being pretty terrific and sacrificing my happiness for the good of others.

Thanks for the link eros, I'm on it.
oword

sonickteam2

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 11:34:00 am »
damn! for someone who has something to say about everything....i have nothing. havent played a video game in at least 15 years.

i'll excuse myself now!

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 12:01:00 pm »
Originally posted by Erinaceous Sonickus:
  damn! for someone who has something to say about everything....i have nothing. havent played a video game in at least 15 years.

i'll excuse myself now!
despite having nothing to say, you still made a post.  

once again  :p
<sig>

nkotb

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 12:05:00 pm »
Pot.  Kettle. Black.

Originally posted by sweetcell:

Originally posted by Erinaceous Sonickus:

i'll excuse myself now!
despite having nothing to say, you still made a post.  

once again   :p  [/b]

Got Haggis?

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 12:07:00 pm »
I make video games for my day job - our first one (Damnation for the Xbox 360, PS3 and PC) is coming out this winter, check it out:

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/damnation/news.html?sid=6193068

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/884/884372p1.html

vansmack

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 12:07:00 pm »
Can we get back to video games now?

Venerable and I have been discussing the merits of GHIV - World Tour and comparing it to Rock Band.  

Thoughts?
27>34

nkotb

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 12:10:00 pm »
Agreed...I just wanted to give sweetcell a hard time.

Just bought Rock Band for the Wii + my wife is out of town next week = ROCK BAND 24/7

Originally posted by vansmack:

Chulahoma

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 12:10:00 pm »
I'm curious to see if the drum setup is similar or different in GH4.  Anyone have any pictures of what it will look like?

Originally posted by vansmack:

Venerable and I have been discussing the merits of GHIV - World Tour and comparing it to Rock Band.  

Thoughts?

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2008, 12:19:00 pm »
I just got a wii about a month ago.  Bought it on line at best buy after finding it in stock there via wii tracker.  Keep checking wiitracker...things pop up and are then gone a few hours later.

I've had loads of fun with Mariocart, also just got Resident Evil 4 which is a blast so far.  I also got a game called No More Heroes which is supposed to be great but I haven't even opened it yet since i'm stuck on RE4 right now.

I haven't owned a console since the atari days, and have never been into gaming despite my computer geek and gadget geek background.  But I love the wii and am loving these immersive games like Resident Evil.  Cutting into my sleep time...

My kids (4 and 6) like it too...mostly wii sports.  The one they can really play is golf.  Hilarious to watch..plus they love the miis I created for them.

vansmack

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2008, 12:24:00 pm »
Originally posted by Chulahoma:
  I'm curious to see if the drum setup is similar or different in GH4.  Anyone have any pictures of what it will look like?

I hate it when giant pictures ruin the thread space:

http://www.aeropause.com/wordpress/archives/images/2008/05/gh4drumkit.jpg
27>34

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2008, 01:21:00 pm »
I just bought Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Super Mario Galaxy for $61 together. Woohoo.

I love Mario Kart so so so so so much.

Annnnd, I think I'm going to hold off on buying Wii Rock Band and just wait for Guitar Hero World Tour, especially after reading this IGN review.
nothx