Author Topic: Gastronomical Banter  (Read 466922 times)

Yada

Re: Gastronomical Banter
« Reply #360 on: March 06, 2014, 07:48:28 pm »
Why do you insist on being such a spoiled little white boy?

I hope you take your kid to Disney World and he pisses on you by telling you it was kinda lame and less special because there's one in California too.

No, I haven't eaten there. I'm not keen on standing in line for food. Plus,  limited vegetarian options, and what they do have I do a good job of cooking myself.

Why would it lessen the experience of eating at the original, if you are still eating at the original? Because there would be less people there?

AS long as it doesn't diminish the quality of the product, why would you care if they put up other locations? Or is that what you are getting at?

I think it lessens the value/experience of the original...

Have you ever eaten at Ben's?

your opinion is no longer valid in this matter.

Uhh..what?

James Ford

« Reply #361 on: March 06, 2014, 07:59:11 pm »
A black owned business is thriving and expanding. More people will be able to experience their wonderful product. I think this is a good thing. You think it's kinda lame. Difference of opinion. Just because I haven't eaten there doesn't invalidate mine.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #362 on: March 06, 2014, 08:41:58 pm »
There's a hotdog restaurant adjacent to two thrift stores in Hillandale. I never go there.

Yada

« Reply #363 on: March 06, 2014, 08:43:31 pm »
A black owned business is thriving and expanding. More people will be able to experience their wonderful product. I think this is a good thing. You think it's kinda lame. Difference of opinion. Just because I haven't eaten there doesn't invalidate mine.

How rich!

hutch

« Reply #364 on: March 06, 2014, 09:35:14 pm »
of course i root for bens like any long time "DC" resident (moved to arlington in 2010) but personally i think the food is kinda crap...

it was nice in the 90s when after getting sloshed at a show at the 930 i could stop by on the way home and get a half smoke (the only thing i like on the menu) with minimal lines and hassle but i mean i think the food is pretty lackin..

then you add the lines as if you are at disneyland ...come on

sorry to be curmudgeonly... the percocet has kicked in nicely but i just don't think bens offers a product that separated from its story "the last light left ticking after the 60s riots"... "bill cosby always easts there"... "the president takes foreign leaders there" means anything.... take away all that and i think the food is overpriced and mediocre

a place like five guys or even elevation burger offers a good product and is worth my time.... bens at this point is just hype although i do want the half smoke as its been a few years..i'd never get it outside of the usual context following a show at the 930

Yada

« Reply #365 on: March 06, 2014, 09:58:24 pm »
of course i root for bens like any long time "DC" resident (moved to arlington in 2010) but personally i think the food is kinda crap...

it was nice in the 90s when after getting sloshed at a show at the 930 i could stop by on the way home and get a half smoke (the only thing i like on the menu) with minimal lines and hassle but i mean i think the food is pretty lackin..

then you add the lines as if you are at disneyland ...come on

sorry to be curmudgeonly... the percocet has kicked in nicely but i just don't think bens offers a product that separated from its story "the last light left ticking after the 60s riots"... "bill cosby always easts there"... "the president takes foreign leaders there" means anything.... take away all that and i think the food is overpriced and mediocre

a place like five guys or even elevation burger offers a good product and is worth my time.... bens at this point is just hype although i do want the half smoke as its been a few years..i'd never get it outside of the usual context following a show at the 930

I think I've only had a half smoke sober a handful of times in 12 years and haven't had anything else on the menu that I can recall. In the mid 00's I definitely abused the half smoke though.

« Reply #366 on: March 06, 2014, 10:20:37 pm »
..i'd never get it outside of the usual context following a show at the 930
really never tastes that good unless it's after a lot of beers.  Been there in the last year and the lines are insane.  Not really worth the wait, but many fine memories
slack

hutch

« Reply #367 on: March 06, 2014, 10:22:57 pm »
not to mention that it was one thing in the 1990s when there were no other late night options for food in the area other than say yums...

times have changed... there are a lot of places to get late night eats now..

its great as a place to get some food in before hitting the hay and minimizing the morning hangover but other than that?

James Ford

« Reply #368 on: March 07, 2014, 07:12:47 am »
Hey Yada,

Sorry for picking your bone about Ben's. While I still don't quite understand your original comment, I should stick to picking bones (if Im' going to pick bones) about topics that I actually care about and am nore knowlegable about.

JF

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #369 on: March 07, 2014, 09:51:40 am »
youre such a pantie pooper.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #370 on: March 31, 2014, 08:30:58 pm »
I ate atomic's cat. It was delicious. I'm sorry.

atomic

« Reply #371 on: April 01, 2014, 12:01:28 am »
I ate atomic's cat. It was delicious. I'm sorry.

Good I won't have to change the litter box anymore.

i am gay and i like cats

K8teebug

« Reply #373 on: April 03, 2014, 03:57:14 pm »
Anyone have any college park recommendations for lunch?

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #374 on: April 03, 2014, 04:09:52 pm »
Anyone have any college park recommendations for lunch?

In no particular order:

Sardi's in Beltsville, rotisserie chicken
Fishnet, fresh fish yum
The Original Ledo's, CP institution
Simply Ovo, unique asian vegan
Plato's Diner, CP institution, if you're into that kind of thing
Tara Thai, Hyattsville, local chain thai
Busboys and Poets, Hyattsville
Franklins, Hyattsville, better beer than decent pub food
Jewel of India, Hillandale
Tiffin, Indian, Langley Park
Julia's Empanadas, Langley Park

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.