Author Topic: Orioles....part 2?  (Read 330370 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: Orioles....part 2?
« Reply #240 on: May 15, 2014, 02:20:13 pm »
But were they really throwing at him?  Bud Norris has hit a shit ton of batters this year.

I have to admit I didn't see it.  Was in the kitchen making gumbo.
I generally do not believe any MLB pitcher, no matter how terrible, unintentionally hits a batter. (Including Tigers pitchers.) I mean the whole "it slipped" thing is very wink wink nudge nudge. If Norris didn't hit him in some weird retaliation for Kinsler's HR right before, then he really has no business in the league if that's as great as he can control his pitches.

What I found more bizarre about this whole scenario, is that in the two games I went to, Baltimore fans were booing Torii Hunter at every turn. What the hell did he do? I thought Torii Hunter was one of the more universally-liked players in the league.

LVMH

atomic

« Reply #241 on: May 15, 2014, 02:37:18 pm »
But were they really throwing at him?  Bud Norris has hit a shit ton of batters this year.

I generally do not believe any MLB pitcher, no matter how terrible, unintentionally hits a batter. (Including Tigers pitchers.) I mean the whole "it slipped" thing is very wink wink nudge nudge. If Norris didn't hit him in some weird retaliation for Kinsler's HR right before, then he really has no business in the league if that's as great as he can control his pitches.

What I found more bizarre about this whole scenario, is that in the two games I went to, Baltimore fans were booing Torii Hunter at every turn. What the hell did he do? I thought Torii Hunter was one of the more universally-liked players in the league.

He was cursing at an Orioles pitcher after getting hit.  And he made a big deal out of the whole thing causing the benches to clear.  He should have been thrown out of the game not Norris.  I think the Orioles should have plunked him the next time he came up.  Teach him a lesson.

« Reply #242 on: May 15, 2014, 02:40:52 pm »

He was cursing at an Orioles pitcher after getting hit.  And he made a big deal out of the whole thing causing the benches to clear.  He should have been thrown out of the game not Norris.  I think the Orioles should have plunked him the next time he came up.  Teach him a lesson.
Oh. I never thought about it that way. I see your point. What a bastard Torii Hunter is for cursing as a response to unexpectedly being pelted with a hard object thrown at him extremely quickly, now that I think about it.
LVMH

atomic

« Reply #243 on: May 15, 2014, 02:44:46 pm »

Oh. I never thought about it that way. I see your point. What a bastard Torii Hunter is for cursing as a response to unexpectedly being pelted with a hard object thrown at him extremely quickly, now that I think about it.

Yeah shows he has no class. I  got hit by pitches in little league and I didn't curse the pitcher out.  I went to first base like a man.

K8teebug

« Reply #244 on: May 15, 2014, 03:00:55 pm »
He took it a little far with the cursing, apparently.  They should both have been thrown out.

James Ford

« Reply #245 on: May 15, 2014, 03:15:19 pm »
Maybe they didn't like his past anti-gay comments.

vansmack

« Reply #246 on: May 15, 2014, 05:36:34 pm »
I generally do not believe any MLB pitcher, no matter how terrible, unintentionally hits a batter. (Including Tigers pitchers.) I mean the whole "it slipped" thing is very wink wink nudge nudge. 

I've been known to miss with a breaking ball every now and then, especially to a left handed batter.  It's usually a sure sign that I was tired or it was cold out.

If I hit a batter with a fastball, it was intentional.  Every time.
27>34

« Reply #247 on: May 15, 2014, 05:39:47 pm »
I generally do not believe any MLB pitcher, no matter how terrible, unintentionally hits a batter. (Including Tigers pitchers.) I mean the whole "it slipped" thing is very wink wink nudge nudge. 

I've been known to miss with a breaking ball every now and then, especially to a left handed batter.  It's usually a sure sign that I was tired or it was cold out.

What's your career MLB ERA?

Obviously there are exceptions. If a batter is crowding the plate and it glances off his knuckles on a swing that's one thing. If it hits them square in the body a la Norris or Verlander over the past few days, then come on. It's insulting people's intelligence to claim it wasn't intentional.
LVMH

atomic

« Reply #248 on: May 15, 2014, 05:44:30 pm »

What's your career MLB ERA?

Obviously there are exceptions. If a batter is crowding the plate and it glances off his knuckles on a swing that's one thing. If it hits them square in the body a la Norris or Verlander over the past few days, then come on. It's insulting people's intelligence to claim it wasn't intentional.

Guys crowd the plate you need to move them off it.  I don't care about this.  Why don't you start a Tigers thread to post this in.

vansmack

« Reply #249 on: May 15, 2014, 05:48:43 pm »

I was agreeing with you.  Hunter got hit with a fastball...

Very few batters outside of Carlos Gomez complain about getting hit with a curve ball.

And for the record, if it hits his knuckles on a swing it's a foul ball, not a HBP.
27>34

hutch

« Reply #250 on: May 15, 2014, 06:23:14 pm »
I think Tori Hunter just knew it was intentional....

James Ford

« Reply #251 on: May 15, 2014, 11:10:28 pm »
1-2-3, there you go.

Britton for closer.

K8teebug

« Reply #252 on: May 16, 2014, 08:17:16 am »
yuppers.

shemptiness

« Reply #253 on: May 16, 2014, 10:23:05 am »
Okay, now what?  Does Hunter move to the set-up role?  Do they alternate?

James Ford

« Reply #254 on: May 16, 2014, 10:56:19 am »
He gets garbage innings until he proves he can get guys out.

Okay, now what?  Does Hunter move to the set-up role?  Do they alternate?