Author Topic: Academy Awards / New Movies /Old Movies whatever  (Read 19572 times)

James Ford

Re: Academy Awards / New Movies /Old Movies whatever
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2014, 03:31:03 pm »
I guess she should probably win because he character was an annoying piece of shit, and I'm sure she's actually a very nice woman in real life, so it was probably a great acting job.

I took my daughter to see Frozen, which for me was surprisingly watchable (and she loved it) and saw the previews to the Lego Movie. As a family who hates all these loud, obnoxious, over the top American cartoons, it looked like something best passed on. We did go to the LEGOLAND theme park in Germany, and that was pretty darn cool.

Does anyone have a favorite for Best Documentary? Four of the five nominees are currently streaming on Netflix (did I already post that fact?) I still have to try to watch The Act of Killing before Sunday night.

Also streaming is The Hunt, nominated for Best Foreign Film. And very deservedly so.

I think the Best Actress award is much more interesting than the Best Actor award this year.  I would probably give it to Cate Blanchett for Blue Jasmine over Sandra Bullock for Gravity. 

The Lego movie was pretty good.  You should see it if you haven't had a chance.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2014, 05:09:41 pm »
Saw Wolf Of Wall Street over the weekend. I thought it was AMAZING. Scorcese being Scorcese and I've never ever been mad at that.
‼‼?‼‼

Relaxer

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2014, 05:13:01 pm »
Bad Grandpa is my new favorite movie of 2013. I have a cold, and that movie nearly killed me by making be laugh my way into coughing fits I couldn't stop.
My nine year old son has begged and begged to see that.  Sorry buddy...too soon.

You know what? Last Saturday, I sat down with my 9 year old son and watched this. It was his first Rated R movie and he was SO excited. I watched it myself beforehand and decided that it's really a very mild R. I mean, I guess they have to stamp it with R considering the soda machine and the men's strip club scenes but there wasn't graphic sex or violence and the story is pretty sweet. It was really fun watching it with him. The scene at the diner made him literally pee his pants. We had to pause it so he could go change.
oword

atomic

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2014, 05:28:15 pm »
I guess she should probably win because he character was an annoying piece of shit, and I'm sure she's actually a very nice woman in real life, so it was probably a great acting job.

I took my daughter to see Frozen, which for me was surprisingly watchable (and she loved it) and saw the previews to the Lego Movie. As a family who hates all these loud, obnoxious, over the top American cartoons, it looked like something best passed on. We did go to the LEGOLAND theme park in Germany, and that was pretty darn cool.

Does anyone have a favorite for Best Documentary? Four of the five nominees are currently streaming on Netflix (did I already post that fact?) I still have to try to watch The Act of Killing before Sunday night.

Also streaming is The Hunt, nominated for Best Foreign Film. And very deservedly so.

I think the Best Actress award is much more interesting than the Best Actor award this year.  I would probably give it to Cate Blanchett for Blue Jasmine over Sandra Bullock for Gravity. 

Funny you like obnoxious over the top hopped american beers. 

James Ford

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2014, 05:32:32 pm »
Good point. I like having my taste buds assaulted but not my ears and eyes. I don't like "loud" music, either.

atomic

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2014, 05:35:38 pm »
Good point. I like having my taste buds assaulted but not my ears and eyes. I don't like "loud" music, either.

By the way no one cares about the documentaries.   

James Ford

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2014, 07:57:48 pm »
Smart people do.

atomic

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2014, 02:02:27 pm »
Fixed that for you.

Boring people do.

notme

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2014, 02:22:48 pm »
Bad Grandpa is up for an Oscar. wolf of wall street was about 30 minutes too long (like j edgar).

James Ford

« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2014, 02:51:25 pm »
How many Oscars is Fruitvale Station up for? Saw that last night. What a gut wrenching film.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2014, 03:25:12 pm »
I dont know nothin bout some old movies or whatever, but here's some old movie posters.

James Ford

« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2014, 11:45:29 pm »
That speech by Jared Leto was truly an aspiration to all future punk rock goddesses out there, wasn't it?

atomic

« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2014, 01:01:39 am »
The award ceremony has been quite dreadful even by Academy Award Ceremonies.  Ellen is a horrible host.  Nothing interesting in the entire show.   Didn't see 12 years a slave but it looks pretty awful in the clips. 

hutch

« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2014, 09:18:59 am »
  Ellen is a horrible host. 

worst ever.

Yada

« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2014, 09:44:10 am »
That speech by Jared Leto was truly an aspiration to all future punk rock goddesses out there, wasn't it?

I thought it was actually kinda nice, minus the Venezuela/Ukraine rant.

Why the hell am I commenting on an Oscars thread?