Author Topic: Comic books and other nerdy topics  (Read 136769 times)

killsaly

hutch

Re: Comic books and other nerdy topics
« Reply #586 on: February 05, 2016, 07:29:05 pm »
i got a free comic book mag today...

K8teebug

« Reply #587 on: February 11, 2016, 08:17:11 am »
The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is amazing. Just got back from a really fun long weekend there. Highly recommend.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #588 on: February 11, 2016, 03:43:10 pm »
So, what is it? I've seen pictures and I know there are rides but... isn't it just like 1 strip of Diagon Alley? And some little shops? Or is it all of Islands of Adventure with a TON of stuff to do? I'm not a huge Harry Potter fan but I'm very interested to see what the 'immersion' experience of it.
‼‼?‼‼

killsaly

« Reply #589 on: February 11, 2016, 03:51:31 pm »
i got a free comic book mag today...
What did you get?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #590 on: February 12, 2016, 10:57:47 am »
so merging nerdy and comics: when is someone going to drawn up an action-adventure comic based on yesterday's LIGO announcement?
<sig>

K8teebug

« Reply #591 on: February 12, 2016, 11:03:23 am »
So, what is it? I've seen pictures and I know there are rides but... isn't it just like 1 strip of Diagon Alley? And some little shops? Or is it all of Islands of Adventure with a TON of stuff to do? I'm not a huge Harry Potter fan but I'm very interested to see what the 'immersion' experience of it.

Before I went, I really thought I was going to be disappointed because people seemed so excited I was going. It's Diagon Alley, Hogsmeade, and the Hogwarts express. Both parts have a dedicated Harry Potter ride, but the whole experience they have put together is really incredible. There are all these details in the store windows, Knockturn Alley, and little easter eggs (like Kreacher appearing out of the window at Grimauld Square every few minutes). They did an amazing job of making everything look just like the movies/books. There's a vanishing cabinet in Borgin and Burkes and you can hear a bird chirping in it. The shrunken head on the knight bus talks and jokes with you. Waiting in line for the rides is also awesome. They recreated the lobby of Gringotts to a t. Plus, there are all these "spells" you can do throughout both parks and that gets you talking to the people who work there and other "witches and wizards" (It does also pretty much guarantee everyone will plunk at least 50 bucks on a wand, but I borrowed mine from a friend). Diagon alley is hidden in London just like the books. I was not as impressed with Hogsmeade. It looks awesome, and the three broomsticks/hogs head is great, and Hogwarts is super cool, but they really improved on everything when they built Diagon alley.

So yeah, totally nerded out.

killsaly

« Reply #592 on: February 12, 2016, 12:15:17 pm »
so merging nerdy and comics: when is someone going to drawn up an action-adventure comic based on yesterday's LIGO announcement?
They already had a book kind of like that:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FBP:_Federal_Bureau_of_Physics
FBP imagines a world where disturbances in the laws of physics are as common as weather, and necessitate forecasts about wormhole locations, momentary gravity losses, and entropy reversals. With much fanfare, the government creates a new bureaucratic organization to deal with quantum disturbances, the Federal Bureau of Physics.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #593 on: February 12, 2016, 12:20:59 pm »

Before I went, I really thought I was going to be disappointed because people seemed so excited I was going. It's Diagon Alley, Hogsmeade, and the Hogwarts express. Both parts have a dedicated Harry Potter ride, but the whole experience they have put together is really incredible. There are all these details in the store windows, Knockturn Alley, and little easter eggs (like Kreacher appearing out of the window at Grimauld Square every few minutes). They did an amazing job of making everything look just like the movies/books. There's a vanishing cabinet in Borgin and Burkes and you can hear a bird chirping in it. The shrunken head on the knight bus talks and jokes with you. Waiting in line for the rides is also awesome. They recreated the lobby of Gringotts to a t. Plus, there are all these "spells" you can do throughout both parks and that gets you talking to the people who work there and other "witches and wizards" (It does also pretty much guarantee everyone will plunk at least 50 bucks on a wand, but I borrowed mine from a friend). Diagon alley is hidden in London just like the books. I was not as impressed with Hogsmeade. It looks awesome, and the three broomsticks/hogs head is great, and Hogwarts is super cool, but they really improved on everything when they built Diagon alley.

So yeah, totally nerded out.
That sounds awesome. As I said I'm very curious to check it out. Hopefully I can head down there this year or next.

Is anyone going to MAG Fest next weekend?!
‼‼?‼‼

killsaly

« Reply #594 on: February 12, 2016, 12:24:09 pm »
Is anyone going to MAG Fest next weekend?!
I thought about it.  I have a few friends going/performing. 

But, I am taking a roadtrip to Philly for NXT on that Thursday and then a concert that I don't want to miss is that Saturday and then Sunday is a Fastlane party at my house...

I might go to part of it... Dont know.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #595 on: February 12, 2016, 12:59:20 pm »
I think we have a hotel there for the weekend so we're gonna try to party and play video games for 24 hours straight lol
‼‼?‼‼

killsaly

« Reply #596 on: February 12, 2016, 01:00:17 pm »
Nice, if I end up going at all, I will message you.

« Reply #597 on: February 26, 2016, 03:47:21 pm »
Dungeons and Dragons not metal enough for you?

GWAR's Dave 'Oderus Urungus' Brockie Releases 'Towers Two'
slack

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #598 on: February 26, 2016, 04:17:18 pm »
Dungeons & Dragons is not very metal. Although I'm only on my 2nd quest.
‼‼?‼‼

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #599 on: March 09, 2016, 12:27:56 pm »
Here's an Adorable Rainbow Brite/X-Men Mashup You Never Knew You Needed
http://cheezburger.com/748805/heres-an-adorable-rainbow-brightx-men-mashup-you-never-knew-you-needed
<sig>