Author Topic: Meteorological Banter  (Read 128886 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: Meteorological Banter
« Reply #195 on: February 18, 2021, 11:17:58 am »
Unless she’s a lawyer, a 70-hour work week is not common nor a sign of a particularly well run company. Neither I nor my CEO exceed 55 hours in a week ever. Rarely over 50.
LVMH

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #196 on: February 18, 2021, 11:28:38 am »
50 is near standard where I work. If you want to do a good job, anyway. Is that actually a good thing? Not sure.

I’ve had email chats with my boss at 2am. Yes, I recognize how f’d up that is.

Space Freely

« Reply #197 on: February 18, 2021, 11:32:01 am »
Unless she’s a lawyer, a 70-hour work week is not common nor a sign of a particularly well run company. Neither I nor my CEO exceed 55 hours in a week ever. Rarely over 50.

Thanks for your input (I'm saying that without my usual sarcasm.) Good to know. I don't really know what the norm is, having never worked in the business world. I'm not saying 70 is her norm, but sometimes 14 hour days happen. She'd be able to more accurately state the norm/average, but if i had to guess, it's probably 50-55.

That said, she's efficient, organized, and on her game (and spends zero work time posting on internet forums, lol) so i have no reason to believe that it's due to anything other than the shittiness of her employer.

Edit: Current timesheet shows 120 hour worked in two weeks time, and that's typical.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 11:41:34 am by Space Freely »

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #198 on: February 18, 2021, 11:35:02 am »
It’s only shitty if the pay/benefits isn’t on par with the hours put in. That’s up to her (and to some extent you).

Yada

« Reply #199 on: February 18, 2021, 11:40:38 am »
Based on your claims of near poverty in the past, my assumption is she isn't making buckets of money*. I learned after multiple years of answering emails at both 1am and 6am and working 10+ hours a day every day, not taking real vacations, etc... that it's just not worth it**, really no matter how much you're making. I'd tell the wife to find another job or ask for a massive raise if she's truly working those kind of hours.

*I could be wrong
**unless you're your own boss

Space Freely

« Reply #200 on: February 18, 2021, 11:52:20 am »
Based on your claims of near poverty in the past, my assumption is she isn't making buckets of money*. I learned after multiple years of answering emails at both 1am and 6am and working 10+ hours a day every day, not taking real vacations, etc... that it's just not worth it**, really no matter how much you're making. I'd tell the wife to find another job or ask for a massive raise if she's truly working those kind of hours.

*I could be wrong
**unless you're your own boss

Thanks. Without going into too much detail, I'd say we're well above poverty and well below buckets of money. She did recently get as 10%+ annual raise, but it's not money we need, and it would have been better served with some kind of promise to better distribute the work.  Getting another job has been discussed on and off for years....

« Reply #201 on: February 18, 2021, 12:17:44 pm »
yada makes a good point (ouch that hurt to say)
if it were her own business...I could see 70 hour weeks...and works out to less than minimum wage sometimes...with way more risk

but if you are working for someone else and not getting paid $250k, kinda insane to work that much
and if she's that good and working that hard, I'm sure there are tons of other opportunities out there

now if twice a month there is an all-nighter, that I can see
I work in IT and that is know to happen, but it's not an everyday/every week thing

Unfortunately, it's fairly standard for employers to expect a 50 hour work model from staff ...the American way
especially if they are non-exempt

then they also screw exempt employees often by not giving them more than 30 hours a week, so not eligible for bennies and such

EAT THE RICH!
slack

Yada

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #203 on: February 18, 2021, 01:19:54 pm »
I work in IT and that is know to happen, but it's not an everyday/every week thing

fellow IT'er here, and 50-55 hours/week is damn standard.  i regularly put in 8 hours in the office*, and anything less than another 2 hours at night was a blessing.  stupid, but it's the expectation... i rarely worked on weekends, luckily, although an occasional sunday night was spent working on a monday deadline. 

now consulting - that's a fucking shredder.  60 hours a week minimum, and work almost every weekend.  it's why i got out.  the promise of future money didn't justify the current pain.  my boss kept telling me that a few more years and i'd be rolling in it - in the meantime, he hadn't attended a single one of his kids' games or recitals.  ever.  his deal was that he made a boatload of money and his wife did 100% of the family/home stuff.  worked for him but not something i wanted.  at all.

* talking about my last job.  currently looking for my next opportunity.  damn covid.
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #204 on: February 18, 2021, 03:08:30 pm »

« Reply #205 on: February 18, 2021, 03:18:40 pm »
the answer to life, the universe and everything
slack

Yada

« Reply #206 on: February 18, 2021, 03:49:56 pm »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #207 on: February 18, 2021, 08:56:12 pm »
<sig>

WALKonBack

« Reply #208 on: February 18, 2021, 09:58:42 pm »
Anyway . . . Fuck you weatherman.  We were told 12 inches.  We were told heavy snow most of today.  It snowed 3 inches last night and not a motherfucking flake today. Fucking assholes.  Fuck them up their ass with a weather satellite.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #209 on: February 18, 2021, 11:05:06 pm »
Anyway . . . Fuck you weatherman.  We were told 12 inches.  We were told heavy snow most of today.  It snowed 3 inches last night and not a motherfucking flake today. Fucking assholes.  Fuck them up their ass with a weather satellite.
Can’t be the first time you’ve been promised 12” and disappointedly discovered only 3-4” after the big reveal. You, should be, used to this, by now.
LVMH