Author Topic: Meteorological Banter  (Read 128681 times)

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
Re: Meteorological Banter
« Reply #360 on: July 18, 2022, 11:11:05 am »
SKY NEWS REPORTER, CITING MILITARY SOURCE: UK ROYAL AIR FORCE HAS HALTED FLIGHTS IN AND OUT OF ITS LARGEST AIR BASE IN THE UK BECAUSE THE “RUNWAY HAS MELTED” IN THE HOT WEATHER

Starsky

« Reply #361 on: July 18, 2022, 11:41:47 am »
It’s amazing that human beings don’t take global warming more seriously. Unnerving..maddening

Space Freely

« Reply #362 on: July 18, 2022, 01:02:11 pm »
It’s amazing that human beings don’t take global warming more seriously. Unnerving..maddening

I think most people don't give a damn, beyond their children or maybe grandchildren.

Starsky

« Reply #363 on: July 18, 2022, 01:15:27 pm »
So if you care about your children why wouldn’t you care about global warming?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #364 on: July 18, 2022, 01:33:39 pm »

i know a number of couples who have decided not to have children, in large part due to climate change. 
<sig>

« Reply #365 on: July 18, 2022, 02:31:08 pm »

i know a number of couples who have decided not to have children, in large part due to climate change.
I'm going to be judgmental and say that's just stupid and does almost nothing (as only .0001% of people are doing that so zero impact)
what is wrong with them saying 'we just are not going to have kids'  Sounds kinda pompous and virtue signaling IMO
slack

evilizac

« Reply #366 on: July 18, 2022, 02:43:20 pm »

I'm going to be judgmental and say that's just stupid and does almost nothing (as only .0001% of people are doing that so zero impact)
what is wrong with them saying 'we just are not going to have kids'  Sounds kinda pompous and virtue signaling IMO
I always thought that it was more not bringing a child into this meteorological hellscape, as opposed to doing their part to abate oncoming hellscape. 
WHAT?

« Reply #367 on: July 18, 2022, 02:59:08 pm »

I always thought that it was more not bringing a child into this meteorological hellscape, as opposed to doing their part to abate oncoming hellscape.
these people probably live in PNW and have good jobs...their kids will be fine, have a conversation with breeders in Bangladesh, vanatu and the Maldives
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #368 on: July 18, 2022, 05:21:51 pm »

sheesh, judgmental much? 

and: if you can't solve the entire problem all by yourself, you shouldn't bother doing anything?

the motivation is indeed the former, although it does have the added benefit of the latter.
<sig>

« Reply #369 on: July 18, 2022, 05:25:51 pm »
seriously, what wrong with just saying "we don't want kids"
I think it's performative bs that they are like "we don't want them to grow up in a decayed society that was awesome when we lived it but will be a hellish land when they grow up"

It's just such a BS statement and grinds my gears

Don't have kids, because you don't want to be a parent, that's the only reason you need
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #370 on: July 18, 2022, 05:56:37 pm »
seriously, what wrong with just saying "we don't want kids"
I think it's performative bs that they are like "we don't want them to grow up in a decayed society that was awesome when we lived it but will be a hellish land when they grow up"

It's just such a BS statement and grinds my gears

Don't have kids, because you don't want to be a parent, that's the only reason you need

so in your worldview, there is NO other reason to not have kids other than simply "don't want to be a parent"?  you're not allowed having a thought-out reason?  anyone who claims to have more complex reasons MUST be lying?

weird.

clearly particular issue grinds your gears, for whatever reason... but it's just strange that you, a generally level-headed person IMO, need to project your interpretation on everyone else and deny them the possibility of having justification(s) different than yours. 
<sig>

Starsky

« Reply #371 on: July 18, 2022, 06:13:59 pm »
We are about to hit 8 billion people. I believe just in my lifetime the world’s population has gone from about 3.8 to almost 8 billion so more than doubled in about 50 years.

I think human beings should think about that and it’s consequences if we keep it up. It would mean that I think that in 100 years there could be 30 billion people!?!

Now as we all know the real fast growth is generally not happening in the more developed world.

Surely there must be some point at which the actions of our species and in exponentially increasing numbers threatens our planet?

Our plan as a species seems to be to figure everything will just take care of itself.

This seems like a fairly big deal.

Throw in global warming- which we refuse to really address- and I think we really need an intervention.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #372 on: July 18, 2022, 06:19:59 pm »
Surely there must be some point at which the actions of our species and in exponentially increasing numbers threatens our planet?

i'd say that's exactly what climate change is: too many people consuming too many polluting sources of energy.
<sig>

« Reply #373 on: July 18, 2022, 07:19:56 pm »
population (and how it consumes all the natural resources in its reach) is the key here, I am 100 % in agreement

Ok, I'm definitely being harsh on people you likely know and like.  that was not my intention
the thing that riles me is it's similar to that 'reason' you need for buying a gun...you are buying it to kill people (be it intentional, self-inflicted or in 'defense')

and this is the problem with the Georgia's Stones thing
In parts of the world, there is a disaster brewing and it's all because of overpopulation
we are not having that problem anywhere in the US, so we citizens are going to have zero impact and not be as impacted

but if Bangladesh or some other area with millions of poor people in a low lining area...those areas we should think about population control...but then you sound like a eugenics guy...and that's not good

it's been said before...we need to look at what we are putting on our plate
that is causing in the 25% range of the problem in green house gasses...so we should look at that too

slack

Starsky

« Reply #374 on: July 18, 2022, 08:41:40 pm »
It is already impacting us in the US….the crazy fires, heat waves, water resources drying up…

If average temperatures keep going up….I don’t even want to think about it

And what happens elsewhere in the world obviously impacts us… in big ways

I mean geez do you need examples? Covid, gas prices, food prices…. It’s endless