Author Topic: Thievery Corporation closes label  (Read 26752 times)

hutch

Thievery Corporation closes label
« on: April 24, 2014, 05:30:19 pm »

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: Thievery Corporation closes label
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 05:39:31 pm »
This is a complete farce. Streaming and illegally downloading music doesn't hurt bands. And the fact that I might consider buying a T-shirt down the road does way more for the artist than a purchased CD ever could.

/CompletelyIdioticHipsterDenizenOf930StandardResponse
LVMH

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 07:06:17 pm »
This is a complete farce. Streaming and illegally downloading music doesn't hurt bands. And the fact that I might consider buying a T-shirt down the road does way more for the artist than a purchased CD ever could.

LOL really, stealing does not hurt the person you are stealing from?  That is the best you can come up with?  So I can come over and steal you car as long as I think about maybe giving you a ride every once in a while right?  Now I really wish there was a block user option on these forums.
FUKIT

hutch

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 07:07:52 pm »
ESL was one of the few local labels releasing stuff by local acts...

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 07:16:13 pm »

LOL really, stealing does not hurt the person you are stealing from?  That is the best you can come up with?  So I can come over and steal you car as long as I think about maybe giving you a ride every once in a while right?  Now I really wish there was a block user option on these forums.
I don't think you understood I was mocking the majority opinion of this board who believes people downloading bands for free is BENEFICIAL to the bands, despite the fact it's an intellectually bankrupt position to take.
LVMH

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 07:45:07 pm »
julian . . . i want to lick you

hutch

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 07:56:44 pm »

I don't think you understood I was mocking the majority opinion of this board who believes people downloading bands for free is BENEFICIAL to the bands, despite the fact it's an intellectually bankrupt position to take.

well to be fair the hipsters who believe in some model where artists give their music away for free but somehow make wonderful livings have upgraded their model from downloading to streaming.... now its "let me stream your stuff for free", the streaming service will make buckets of money through an IPO or something and the artist gets 77 cents in the mail quaterly...

i don't mind if people say "hey i'm an asshole..  i screw over the musicians..i don't buy their music.. just stream /download whatever for free..fuck you"...its the ones who think and act as if they are actually a part of some newly invented "model" that benefits the artists that tick me off...the ones who spend their time putting down david lowery  or something because you know he actually wants to benefit from the music he makes..

its very convenient to think you're helping a musician when you take what he produces for free and rationalize it away with "oh hey the money is in touring now! maybe i'll catch their show the next time" or  "hey i used to spend so much on music so i'm good going forward" or "i don't want to know whats going on just give me the free music"..

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 08:14:21 pm »
What is this majority you speak of?  I get my music legally from emusic, bandcamp, Amazon and directly from artists/labels. I've even on occasion bought physical product a second time from an artist at a show if I had already legally downloaded. 

And on the local music front, ESL only released TC, TC side projects, Thunderball and The Funk Ark.  Not really a local label per say.  (Sorry to easy of a shot)
T.Rex

stevewizzle

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 08:24:48 pm »
lot of unnecessary commas in that article. made me think it was written by walk on by.

one gripe i have with the article: it's not the fact that streaming services now exist... it's that they exist, and no one is streaming ESL artists. you can't blame streaming services for a low payout if no one is streaming your music in the first place.

stevewizzle

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 08:35:13 pm »
well to be fair the hipsters who believe in some model where artists give their music away for free but somehow make wonderful livings have upgraded their model from downloading to streaming.... now its "let me stream your stuff for free", the streaming service will make buckets of money through an IPO or something and the artist gets 77 cents in the mail quaterly...

i don't mind if people say "hey i'm an asshole..  i screw over the musicians..i don't buy their music.. just stream /download whatever for free..fuck you"...its the ones who think and act as if they are actually a part of some newly invented "model" that benefits the artists that tick me off...the ones who spend their time putting down david lowery  or something because you know he actually wants to benefit from the music he makes..

its very convenient to think you're helping a musician when you take what he produces for free and rationalize it away with "oh hey the money is in touring now! maybe i'll catch their show the next time" or  "hey i used to spend so much on music so i'm good going forward" or "i don't want to know whats going on just give me the free music"..

say what you will about these 'hipster' types, but at least they've thought about it.  i think the bigger problem is the masses of people who don't invest a single bit of effort in thinking about what they are listening to, the effort and investment it requires to make music, and how they (the consumer!) fit into the whole picture.  instead, they just download their spotify app, pay $10 a month, and listen to their favorite buzz band on their iphone and skull candy headphones.  for every 1 hipster douche rationalizing his "buy some merch, support the band!" method, there's probably hundreds of people who fly under the radar as casual listeners, enjoying the convenience and never thinking about it for a second.

hutch

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 09:14:26 pm »

say what you will about these 'hipster' types, but at least they've thought about it.  i think the bigger problem is the masses of people who don't invest a single bit of effort in thinking about what they are listening to, the effort and investment it requires to make music, and how they (the consumer!) fit into the whole picture.  instead, they just download their spotify app, pay $10 a month, and listen to their favorite buzz band on their iphone and skull candy headphones.  for every 1 hipster douche rationalizing his "buy some merch, support the band!" method, there's probably hundreds of people who fly under the radar as casual listeners, enjoying the convenience and never thinking about it for a second.

that's a good point...although I think the hipsters have thought about it and determined they don't give a fuck.... is that better than somebody that just doesn't have a clue?.... I almost prefer ignorance

i don't know..its a tough call..

some will defensively chime in....i just can't deal with people who listen to music streamed on shitpie laptop speakers or their phones and think they're doing the world a favor and are cool... fuck that.. you like dean wareham... buy his fuckin album....don't stream it and be like "i have to listen to it for free to know if its worth it"... so many of my favorite acts are strugglin' hard to pay the most basic bills with this new model.. and the music ends up sounding like shit because the budget ends up being so low....

so ESL didn't put out that much local music.. I have no idea how much.. but they were a local label...they'd put out like 200 releases ...not sure how much...they had an identity... i happen to think thievery has coasted for a long time and dont get me started but this is the MODEL folk..this is how it DOESN"T WORK.. .when people don't fucking pay for music the music don't get made or what gets made sounds like shit and is shit....its hard to imagine David Bowie in the 1970s under this model being able to produce much of anythhing.... I can just imagine himm going to Carlos Alomar or Belew "eh, hey dude I need you to work for free for me"... 

sorry this is kind of rambly...

« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 09:24:32 pm by hutch »

hutch

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 09:40:50 pm »
lot of unnecessary commas in that article. made me think it was written by walk on by.

one gripe i have with the article: it's not the fact that streaming services now exist... it's that they exist, and no one is streaming ESL artists. you can't blame streaming services for a low payout if no one is streaming your music in the first place.

is this really true? i mean there is plenty of anecdotal evidence that unless you are a heavy hitter you really aren't going to make much money with streaming and I find it hard to believe that it doesn't act as a disincentive to purchase...

are all the artists posting their ridiculously low "royalty" statements or whatever you call them from streaming making it up?

you can argue record labels sucked but for many record labels they had an identity and they were run by people who somewhat knew and cared about music..even recent guys.. a guy like cosloy you are going to tell me he knew nothing or cared nothing about music? a lot of the a&r guys were shit but a lot were not..at least they listened to music... the guys who own the streaming services are businessmen who know nothing about music.... you're going to tell me ahmet ertegun screwed over some musicians? sure.. but ahmet understood and lived and breathed music.. and sure he screwed over stax-volt but you know what ahmet when he was a kid was running around SE DC trying to buy 78s  cause that was his passion..and when he died many of the musicians who had been on atlantic got together and threw him a tribute concert... even led zep showed up so...

i'm sorry... the old record labels weren't that great..often they took advantage of artists but you know what they also actually you know listened to the music, promoted the music, tried to sell the music, tried to hook up with the artists- sometimes- with the right studio and producer... they were a part of the music business... spotifiy  and all these other outfits are not a part of the music business they are a part of the internet business.... do you really want your music controlled by people who don't know anything about music? who don't chip in a penny to its making...is spotify going to pay for the next phil ramone to produce a record..who the fuck is going to pay for it? you tell me the kid will make it on his computer and it will sound great? who's going to pay for the best ears in the business, robert ludwig, to master their music? you don't think robert ludwig made a difference to how great those classic records sounded???? people like that are still around.. guys like steve hoffman too..... they are reduced to working on reissues of old classics when they should be working on the new stuff

there were plenty of great labels and they didn't always screw the artist no matter what they tell you... alfred lion at blue note took care of his peeps..... jak holzman at elektra knew his music and i could go on all day.....

so the "record labels are just evil" cause steve albini wrote about it....well its nice but its a bit simpllistic... and i don't see how having non-music people involved in the music business is going to help much...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 09:45:37 pm by hutch »

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 10:14:55 pm »

I didn't.

FUKIT

atomic

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 11:57:38 pm »
Maybe their label is closing because they signed shitty bands.  You don't have to allow your releases on streaming services.  No one buys cd's anymore.  It is either vinyl or digital. 

Amanda Palmer does well with her model.   I don't buy any of these failures people want to blame on others.  Sign good bands and market them.  If you think you can sign a shitty band and not promote them and make money you won't.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 12:00:34 am by atomic »

atomic

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 12:06:49 am »

is this really true? i mean there is plenty of anecdotal evidence that unless you are a heavy hitter you really aren't going to make much money with streaming and I find it hard to believe that it doesn't act as a disincentive to purchase...

are all the artists posting their ridiculously low "royalty" statements or whatever you call them from streaming making it up?

you can argue record labels sucked but for many record labels they had an identity and they were run by people who somewhat knew and cared about music..even recent guys.. a guy like cosloy you are going to tell me he knew nothing or cared nothing about music? a lot of the a&r guys were shit but a lot were not..at least they listened to music... the guys who own the streaming services are businessmen who know nothing about music.... you're going to tell me ahmet ertegun screwed over some musicians? sure.. but ahmet understood and lived and breathed music.. and sure he screwed over stax-volt but you know what ahmet when he was a kid was running around SE DC trying to buy 78s  cause that was his passion..and when he died many of the musicians who had been on atlantic got together and threw him a tribute concert... even led zep showed up so...

i'm sorry... the old record labels weren't that great..often they took advantage of artists but you know what they also actually you know listened to the music, promoted the music, tried to sell the music, tried to hook up with the artists- sometimes- with the right studio and producer... they were a part of the music business... spotifiy  and all these other outfits are not a part of the music business they are a part of the internet business.... do you really want your music controlled by people who don't know anything about music? who don't chip in a penny to its making...is spotify going to pay for the next phil ramone to produce a record..who the fuck is going to pay for it? you tell me the kid will make it on his computer and it will sound great? who's going to pay for the best ears in the business, robert ludwig, to master their music? you don't think robert ludwig made a difference to how great those classic records sounded???? people like that are still around.. guys like steve hoffman too..... they are reduced to working on reissues of old classics when they should be working on the new stuff

there were plenty of great labels and they didn't always screw the artist no matter what they tell you... alfred lion at blue note took care of his peeps..... jak holzman at elektra knew his music and i could go on all day.....

so the "record labels are just evil" cause steve albini wrote about it....well its nice but its a bit simpllistic... and i don't see how having non-music people involved in the music business is going to help much...

I was talking to members of Romeo void when they were in their prime and they said they didn't get a dime from their label.  They actually owed money to the label for recording costs and their label didn't support them.  Recording artist were ripped off in the past.  They can actually make money off their recordings now by doing kick starter. 

Small labels usually fail...  Go back to the 80's in DC.   Fountain of youth had put out some great albums but they didn't make it.