Author Topic: Thievery Corporation closes label  (Read 26758 times)

fatskippy

Re: Thievery Corporation closes label
« Reply #105 on: May 01, 2014, 09:30:22 am »
Hey look who it is right on cue.

I'm glad to read that my Spotify subscription is helping to change the world for the better.

« Reply #106 on: May 05, 2014, 10:19:08 pm »
Hutch's dirty little secret...he buys A LOT of used vinyl/CD/wax cylinders ...who is really getting paid there...certainly not the artist

and yes in the last few years back in DC I really have had an inferior music set up...I have only myself to blame for that.\

Oh it was mentioned, but Ursula 1000 was awesome,  their vinyl was in heavy rotation on my tables about a decade ago

Hipster is objectively a slur...not sure why that is even a question
Seriously, show me one example of it used in a positive light?

I can't speak for Baltimore, but DC's local music scene really has been lacking for almost 30 years
and ESL was one of the few examples of a DC label/Act that was doing anything substantial on a national/international level.
I think there is a level of an artist that plays at a venue like 930 or Black Cat in other cites and I can't imagine many acts from DC that could go to SF and sell out the Fillmore

I agree there are probably hundreds of small acts that you could probably list that might fill the red room
But can't think of one act in the last 30 years that could sell out a medium sized label in a city 500 miles from here

ESL was past it's prime, but they certainly had a prime.  People were listening and buying their stuff

slack

hutch

« Reply #107 on: May 06, 2014, 08:10:11 am »
Hutch's dirty little secret...he buys A LOT of used vinyl/CD/wax cylinders ...who is really getting paid there...certainly not the artist

This is not a dirty secret as its been mentioned by me on this board.

I buy my fair share of new vinyl too though... just in the last week I bought the Lydia Loveless new one and the Amigos Invisibles Arepa 3000 reissue on vinyl... I'm pretty sure both Lost Highway and Luaka Bop (David Byrne) pay their artists.

Moreover, I've never subscribed to the theory that buying used product has no impact on the sale of new product. If people buy up all the used stock then others will have to buy the new stock... or looking at it on Amazon if enough people buy the old stock it will make the new stock much more affordable in relation to the old stock. Some bands you find the used copies cost about as much as the new copies in the end (particularly if you have prime) so you are more likely to buy it new.

There is no way "hipster" is a slur... it may not be a nice term..it may have a negative connotation but that still don't make it no slur... a slur is a word I can't even post here without getting banned.

atomic

« Reply #108 on: May 06, 2014, 09:14:28 am »

This is not a dirty secret as its been mentioned by me on this board.

I buy my fair share of new vinyl too though... just in the last week I bought the Lydia Loveless new one and the Amigos Invisibles Arepa 3000 reissue on vinyl... I'm pretty sure both Lost Highway and Luaka Bop (David Byrne) pay their artists.

Moreover, I've never subscribed to the theory that buying used product has no impact on the sale of new product. If people buy up all the used stock then others will have to buy the new stock... or looking at it on Amazon if enough people buy the old stock it will make the new stock much more affordable in relation to the old stock. Some bands you find the used copies cost about as much as the new copies in the end (particularly if you have prime) so you are more likely to buy it new.

There is no way "hipster" is a slur... it may not be a nice term..it may have a negative connotation but that still don't make it no slur... a slur is a word I can't even post here without getting banned.

Sure you can post slurs.  You can post about the Landover football team. You can post about being gyped.  Post about someone driving a ricer.  Call someone a beaner.  I think most slurs are fine on here.

ggw

« Reply #109 on: May 06, 2014, 09:23:47 am »

Oh please.  Stop deluding yourself with convoluted arguments about how you purchase used product to reduce supply thus pushing the marginal buyer into new product that will directly benefit the artist.

I buy plenty of used myself.  I have no guilt over it.  The artist got his compensation the first time it sold.

hutch

« Reply #110 on: May 06, 2014, 09:25:58 am »

Oh please.  Stop deluding yourself with convoluted arguments about how you purchase used product to reduce supply thus pushing the marginal buyer into new product that will directly benefit the artist.

I buy plenty of used myself.  I have no guilt over it.  The artist got his compensation the first time it sold.

well I didn't say that now did I? I didn't say I purchase used product to directly benefit the artist...

I said it happens to do so (but thats not why I do it).. here I'm talking about new music..

When I really want to support an artist.... say  a Dean Wareham or whatever....I just buy direct from their website...

Now when you're collecting old Nat King Cole or Frank Sinatra or Billie records.. .music made long ago.. who cares if I buy a used record? Because often time the vinyl I buy used is stuff that came out at least 40 years ago...

« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 09:29:39 am by hutch »

atomic

« Reply #111 on: May 06, 2014, 10:12:35 am »

Hutch just doesn't know how to stream music.  Once he learns how he will be all in.  I stream from my phone at work.  Stream from my Ipad Air at home.  I was listening to BJ Thomas the other day.  Do you think I would ever buy BJ Thomas's music? No way.  But I felt like listening to his songs so opened up Rhapsody and there it was.  He gets money that he would have never gotten before.  Its a win/win.

Hutch you need to replace your flip phone and get a real phone and sign up to Rhapsody and listen to anything you want.  You might even find some new artists you like. Then if you like them enough go buy their music on vinyl.

Hexenjagd

« Reply #112 on: May 06, 2014, 10:33:04 am »
I am not sure that you understand the word "slur." 
http://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/slur
A slur is an insulting remark. In a political campaign, it?s not unheard of for a candidate to launch a slur at her opponent, though doing so is usually frowned upon.
Slur can also be used as a verb meaning ?to insult,? and it has a number of additional meanings as well. To slur one?s speech is to pronounce words in a clumsy, lazy way. In the context of music, to slur is to slide smoothly from one note to another. The word history of slur is hazy, but some scholars have suggested a relationship with a Dutch word meaning "to drag."
You use hipster as an insult, so therefore, it is a slur.  It doesn't have to be an ethnic slur, which is what you are probably thinking about.