Author Topic: David Bowie Is...  (Read 112690 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: David Bowie Is...
« Reply #225 on: May 04, 2016, 09:59:26 pm »
http://www.inquisitr.com/3059397/blackstar-beautiful-secret-hidden-in-david-bowies-final-vinyl/

"If you bought the vinyl version of David Bowie?s classic and haunting final album, ?Blackstar,? you have a possibly as-yet-undiscovered and beautiful gift from the music master himself."

"What you must do is remove the vinyl record and put it in a safe place, then place the cover in the full sun. Once you have done that, just wait and a beautiful star field will appear."
T.Rex

K8teebug

« Reply #226 on: May 05, 2016, 09:58:17 am »
I can't wait until the sun comes out again!

dyecraig

« Reply #227 on: May 15, 2016, 11:07:07 am »
captain obvious here, but now that I've been exploring a lot of iggy recently, "red money" and "sister midnight" are pretty identical (in a cool way, of course).
never really dug 'lodger' until today.

mekmad

« Reply #228 on: May 15, 2016, 01:46:54 pm »
http://www.inquisitr.com/3059397/blackstar-beautiful-secret-hidden-in-david-bowies-final-vinyl/

"If you bought the vinyl version of David Bowie?s classic and haunting final album, ?Blackstar,? you have a possibly as-yet-undiscovered and beautiful gift from the music master himself."

"What you must do is remove the vinyl record and put it in a safe place, then place the cover in the full sun. Once you have done that, just wait and a beautiful star field will appear."

I've been curious how this would work and I didn't want to open my copy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOey6mv5Sfo

walk,on,by

« Reply #229 on: May 15, 2016, 07:43:09 pm »
how, not exciting.

dyecraig

« Reply #230 on: May 15, 2016, 08:46:21 pm »
have you done anything with your amazing bowie portrait?
would love to frame a glycee print of that.

K8teebug

« Reply #231 on: May 16, 2016, 07:12:10 am »
have you done anything with your amazing bowie portrait?
would love to frame a glycee print of that.

I printed an 8x10 of it and some 5x7 (just regular prints) and they're currently for sale at the columbia art center. I'm donating all the money to the Claudia Meyer Cancer Center and Jubliee Arts (a really great arts center in the Sandtown neighborhood of Baltimore). PM me and I can send you the file. If you'd like to donate money to one of these or your favorite charity, that's totally fine with me!

dyecraig

« Reply #232 on: May 16, 2016, 05:28:03 pm »
how, not exciting.
mine must be defective.

hutch

« Reply #233 on: June 01, 2016, 04:37:47 pm »
I found this very interesting and moving..from David J (Love and Rockets/Bauhaus/etc) Facebook

David J
3 hrs ·
I met David Bowie on the set of 'The Hunger' in 1982. There was a great old 1950's jukebox outside his dressing room. I was looking at the list of 45's and deciding what to play when I became aware of a looming presence behind me. "Mind if I pick one?" It was Bowie! "Eh, no, please be my guest." I mumbled. He punched in 'Grooving With Mister Bloe' an instrumental from 1970 by, yes, Mister Bloe and then started to dance! It was just me and Bowie there at the time. Surreal! He was dressed in the sharp dark blue shark skin suit that he is seen wearing in the first scene of the movie and had on those matching blue shades. He was smiling all the while and well . . . grooving with Mister Bloe. Somehow I summoned up the audacity to make a statement. "This reminds me of something." To which D.B. responded: "Oh, yeah? What's that then?" "It's one of yours!" "Yeah? Which one?" "It's off of 'Low." "Yeah? Well, which track?" "Eh, 'A New Career In A New Town?"
And with that, Bowie put a finger to his lips, winked and carried on dancing!
When I played 'Blackstar' on headphones the night that he died and it came to the last track, 'I Can't Give Everything Away', in which he alludes to the same harmonica part that he cribbed from 'Mister Bloe', I made the astonishing connection that the 'new town' was the afterlife and the 'new career', well . . . what ever it was that Bowie would be doing there! At that point, lying on my bed in the Crystal Hotel in Portland at midnight on January 10 and recalling that cherished personal memory of our meeting, I lost it and collapsed under a deluge of tears.
(The writing of my little tribute song followed shortly thereafter.)
https://vimeo.com/168032558

dyecraig

« Reply #234 on: June 01, 2016, 09:43:51 pm »
^ nice one, there.

« Reply #235 on: June 01, 2016, 09:58:14 pm »
^ nice one, there.
yeah that was awesome
really was the zenith for me as far as this whole rock n roll thing goes
not a single 'artist' comes close, sorry Mr Zimmerman
slack

dyecraig

« Reply #236 on: June 01, 2016, 10:02:33 pm »
^ nice one, there.
yeah that was awesome
really was the zenith for me as far as this whole rock n roll thing goes
not a single 'artist' comes close, sorry Mr Zimmerman
tried to get into mr. z. many  times. live, etc. pass.

hutch

« Reply #237 on: June 01, 2016, 10:37:46 pm »
 :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

« Reply #238 on: June 01, 2016, 10:38:40 pm »
slack

hutch

« Reply #239 on: June 01, 2016, 10:52:15 pm »
well of course David Bowie is awesome...I got goosebumps reading the David J bit earlier today....I found an interesting bit on wikipedia on Bowie's Song for Bob Dylan

When asked about the song at the time of Hunky Dory's release, Bowie said, "This is how some see BD."[1] Bowie later revealed his true intention for writing the song in a 1976 Melody Maker interview saying,

"There's even a song ? Song for Bob Dylan ? that laid out what I wanted to do in rock. It was at that period that I said, 'okay (Dylan) if you don't want to do it, I will.' I saw that leadership void. Even though the song isn't one of the most important on the album, it represented for me what the album was all about. If there wasn't someone who was going to use rock 'n' roll, then I'd do it."[5]

I've invested too much time, brain cells, and money on Dylan to go back at this point..travelled too many miles to be able to be really "objective".. my thinking has ossified... so I don't really question myself but I tend to agree with George Harrison that in 500 years Bob Dylan will be the only musician remembered from our shared time here...that doesn't mean he is the "best" or that everyone must enjoy his every croak.....I will say I listen to Bob Dylan a lot less these days.. I did pick up his new album of standards and there is some superlative singing (yes singing!) on it... and a few very fun covers... for example, to hear him singing one of my favorite Louis Prima/Keely Smith songs (That Old Black Magic).. but I just can't see listening to it too much cause my musical tastes have moved away from vocals/jazz to punk/reggae/post-punk...although they were playing it at the record store yesterday loud and i was having the best time tapping my fingers and singing along.. there's still life left in the guy!