Author Topic: David Bowie Is...  (Read 112644 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: David Bowie Is...
« Reply #255 on: January 10, 2018, 02:38:28 pm »
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #256 on: January 10, 2018, 03:15:04 pm »
I am planning on watching "The Last Five Years" tonight.  If I don't go to the bar.
27>34

bearman🐻

« Reply #257 on: January 10, 2018, 05:11:25 pm »
I am planning on watching "The Last Five Years" tonight.  If I don't go to the bar.

Watched it last night. I'll be curious to hear what you think. I must admit I prefer the other documentary "Five Years".

hutch

« Reply #258 on: January 10, 2018, 05:50:19 pm »
Sad day

vansmack

« Reply #259 on: January 11, 2018, 01:03:43 pm »
Watched it last night. I'll be curious to hear what you think. I must admit I prefer the other documentary "Five Years".

Sorry, I went to the bar for a darts tournament.  Will watch it this weekend and we can chat about it.
27>34

bearman🐻

« Reply #260 on: January 11, 2018, 01:11:28 pm »

Sorry, I went to the bar for a darts tournament.  Will watch it this weekend and we can chat about it.

Disclaimer: I was already feeling depressed about the 2nd death of his anniversary when I watched it, so it didn't really cheer me up much. But it was definitely interesting.

« Reply #261 on: January 30, 2018, 10:04:46 am »
Beside Bowie....the Mick Ronson story!
Wow this was fucking amazing.

I always felt he was a huge part of the Bowie sound...but I had no idea how much influence he had on hunky dory and Ziggy sound/feel
Even Tony v admits his influence (and that holds some weight)
Even DD is all Ronnie but he barely got credit
Sad how he was pennyless most of his life, but created/collobrated on some of the most important rock music

The James jamerson of rock

And it sounds like ziggy was really killed because Bowie and difries didn't want to pay the band

His appearance at the Queen tribute was a nice coda though...

The last five years was awesome too...I really need to spend more time with his last two albums...that was a great primer
slack

K8teebug

« Reply #262 on: January 30, 2018, 01:10:08 pm »

Disclaimer: I was already feeling depressed about the 2nd death of his anniversary when I watched it, so it didn't really cheer me up much. But it was definitely interesting.

Same. I really liked seeing the bands play together, but it also made me really sad.

What I did love about it was how much David Bowie appreciated and included other artists in his work. And he never stopped doing that. And that he could record 2 albums in secret.

Really can't wait to see the exhibit again in May.

K8teebug

« Reply #263 on: January 30, 2018, 01:11:21 pm »
Side note - I have some extra prints of my Bowie painting. PM me if you're interested. Price is a charitable donation to an art/music organization (or art/music instruction organization) of your choice.

vansmack

« Reply #264 on: January 31, 2018, 01:18:17 pm »
I watched this last night after the SOTU, so going in I was in a strange place, but yes, depressing, though I don't think I expected anything different given that post Hurricane festival, he was never what what we had come to expect.

I don't know that I needed a song by song walk through of the musicality so much as I wanted the story behind the song's meaning, which is very tough to do posthumously.  I felt like I was getting more about Bowie's state of mind via the discussion of the making of the videos then I was in the discussion with the band in a group setting.  Individual conversations were great though.

I'm not rushing out to watch it again, but pleased that I saw it.
27>34

« Reply #265 on: January 31, 2018, 01:31:05 pm »
hough I don't think I expected anything different given that post Hurricane festival, he was never what what we had come to expect.
not sure I understand...yes I know that was his last full on performance in 2004

I wanted the story behind the song's meaning
me too...but bowie barely did that when he was alive

I felt like I was getting more about Bowie's state of mind via the discussion of the making of the videos then I was in the discussion with the band in a group setting.  Individual conversations were great though.
agreed.
I did like how they got the bands back together and worked through the creation of some of the tracks and how bowie interacted with them
slack

hutch

« Reply #266 on: February 01, 2018, 03:35:35 pm »
Part of Bowie’s genius was finding a lot of cool people to be influenced by and work with...then melding it all together in unique ways..if mick  ronson was truly as great as some say his body of work would reflect that but the only greatness I see is when he worked with Bowie...did ronson produce morrissey’s your arsenal? That is a stunner I will grant you but I have picked up many records with ronno on them that are dreck

Brian Eno on the other hand is a genius

« Reply #267 on: February 01, 2018, 05:05:04 pm »
...did ronson produce morrissey’s your arsenal? That is a stunner I will grant you but I have picked up many records with ronno on them that are dreck
yes about your arsenal, his wife said that album helped them a lot, otherwise they would have been on the street

but he never found another good front man to work with was part of the problem
Ian Hunter...meh
while David wrote the lyrics...it was Mick who really made all the young dudes the song we know

He also didn't get credit, but apparently Lou Reed's transformer wouldn't be the same without ronno

also he pretty much wrote that guitar lick for John Cougar's "jack and diane"

in particular on "Jack & Diane." , Mellencamp recalled:    "Mick was very instrumental in helping me arrange that song, as I'd thrown it on the junk heap

Slaughter on 10th Avenue  is really not that great
but DeFries wanted to make Mick the frontman and a star, that that wasn't who he was

this collaboration (tour) I never knew about
slack

hutch

« Reply #268 on: February 01, 2018, 05:10:43 pm »
Def ronson should get a big credit for transformer and he does on the album!! Bowie and ronson make that album which is the only Lou reed solo record I really love

Look he was a seriously talented guitar slinger but he was no genius...no Bowie ...Bowie was lucky to find him but the truth is if not ronno he would have found someone else

« Reply #269 on: February 01, 2018, 05:13:09 pm »
.Bowie was lucky to find him but the truth is if not ronno he would have found someone else
that's debatable...

Def ronson should get a big credit for transformer and he does on the album!!

ok yes he does get credit...but most people focus on Bowie and his contribution is small in comparison

Mick Ronson played a major role in the recording of the album at Trident Studios, serving as the co-producer and primary session musician (contributing guitar, piano, recorder and backing vocals), as well as arranger, notably contributing the string arrangement for "Perfect Day". Reed lauded Ronson's contribution in the Transformer episode of the documentary series Classic Albums, praising the beauty of his work and keeping down the vocal to highlight the strings.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 05:16:35 pm by Hatchamasatch ♆ ✯ ㋡ 🖖 »
slack