Author Topic: random . . . randomness  (Read 1604516 times)

killsaly

Re: random . . . randomness
« Reply #1545 on: August 19, 2015, 12:34:18 pm »
This almost sounds like an episode of House that I watched last night...

« Reply #1546 on: August 19, 2015, 01:05:11 pm »
man there is some fathatin' going on
I don't think it's fathatin' to point out that woman is clearly selling snake oil. She is not healthy. That she makes thousands of dollars flying to "Fat Acceptance" conferences to talk about how she's an "athlete" is absurd. That people are funding her Ironman trips on her assurance she will complete it is arguably fraud.

So one can be fat and be working towards being healthy
say you are 400lb, to do it the healthy way could take 5+ years

but in the end people are looking for ways to justify things they do to make them feel better.

It really is not easy to lose a lot of weight, especially if you are poor
but it can be done

slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #1547 on: August 19, 2015, 01:11:18 pm »
I don't think it's fathatin' to point out that woman is clearly selling snake oil. She is not healthy. That she makes thousands of dollars flying to "Fat Acceptance" conferences to talk about how she's an "athlete" is absurd. That people are funding her Ironman trips on her assurance she will complete it is arguably fraud.

but in the end people are looking for ways to justify things they do to make them feel better.

but it can be done

Yes, exactly. She is also explicitly reminding people she is NOT trying to lose weight. Her whole point in doing this is to prove an obese person can run an Ironman triathlon every bit as well as a skinny person.
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #1548 on: August 19, 2015, 01:12:10 pm »
If it's acceptable to mock people with food addictions, is it also acceptable to mock people with other addictions...e.g. drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, religion?

« Reply #1549 on: August 19, 2015, 01:33:06 pm »
If it's acceptable to mock people with food addictions, is it also acceptable to mock people with other addictions...e.g. drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, religion?

seems kosmo hasn't weighed in on this ...hehe

I think cigarettes are on the table, but e-cigs NOWAYMAN
slack

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #1550 on: August 19, 2015, 01:36:23 pm »

yes
‼‼?‼‼

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #1551 on: August 19, 2015, 01:37:07 pm »

but it can be done

Some researchers also emphasize that weight is not necessarily the most important measure of health. Metabolic health may be more important. Exercise improves metabolic health, and therefore there are health benefits to regular exercise even if it does not result in significant weight loss.

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/coca-cola-science/

walk,on,by

« Reply #1552 on: August 19, 2015, 03:17:35 pm »
yes.

« Reply #1553 on: August 19, 2015, 03:44:55 pm »

slack

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #1554 on: August 19, 2015, 03:48:06 pm »

Which form of the word addiction are you talking about, the one speaking about a (usually unhealthy) habit, or the disease?
FUKIT

Space Freely

« Reply #1555 on: August 19, 2015, 03:51:00 pm »

but it can be done

Some researchers also emphasize that weight is not necessarily the most important measure of health. Metabolic health may be more important. Exercise improves metabolic health, and therefore there are health benefits to regular exercise even if it does not result in significant weight loss.

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/coca-cola-science/

I know someone who was using this study as an excuse to not deal with weight issues for a long time, though it really didn't explain why she was feeling like shit every day. Then she got changed her diet (kept exercising moderately) and lost 16 pounds, and will likely lose 20+ more. And she'll tell you she feels a whole lot healthier. I'm sure her next doctor's visit will confirm better health stats

Space Freely

« Reply #1556 on: August 19, 2015, 03:52:54 pm »

Which form of the word addiction are you talking about, the one speaking about a (usually unhealthy) habit, or the disease?

I'm unsure what you're talking about. Perhaps you could give an example of each form you are referring to?

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #1557 on: August 19, 2015, 05:32:29 pm »

I'm unsure what you're talking about. Perhaps you could give an example of each form you are referring to?

It is pretty self explanatory.  But to give you one generic difference between the two, the former is caused by over use of some substance or indulgence, whereas the latter is not. The disease is a uncurable genetic defect that is manifested by over use.  IMHO one should not mock a person who has this disease any more than they should mock anyone with cancer or any other genetic abnormality.
FUKIT

Space Freely

« Reply #1558 on: August 19, 2015, 05:50:59 pm »

It is pretty self explanatory.  But to give you one generic difference between the two, the former is caused by over use of some substance or indulgence, whereas the latter is not. The disease is a uncurable genetic defect that is manifested by over use.  IMHO one should not mock a person who has this disease any more than they should mock anyone with cancer or any other genetic abnormality.

Thanks for the explanation. For the record, I myself wasn't trying to make the case for mocking anybody, just asking if it was accepted board etiquette.

shemptiness

« Reply #1559 on: August 19, 2015, 06:32:58 pm »