Author Topic: random . . . randomness  (Read 1603127 times)

hutch

Re: random . . . randomness
« Reply #4170 on: June 01, 2017, 12:20:09 pm »
speaking of.... God help us....

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #4171 on: June 01, 2017, 12:37:51 pm »
I fail to see how time is money when the alternative to driving to the box office to purchase tickets is watching tv or surfing the web and not actually making money.
Because at 10am on a Thursday or Friday when tickets go on sale, my other option is not surfing the web or watching TV, it's working and getting paid. Your time has a value. The gasoline you put in your vehicle to get to a box office has a cost.

There are some shows where that collective cost is lower than the ticketing fees. For example, if I know a show at The National (which is less than two miles from my home) isn't going to sell out on the first day, I will often go to the box office. But if I want to see some band play the enormodome in Va Beach or DC and I'd like reasonably good seats (which will sell out early), the ticketing fee is a fraction of what it'd cost me to go to the box office and get them.

I will never understand people complaining about ticketing fees. It the worst collective idea this board shares.
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #4172 on: June 01, 2017, 12:46:35 pm »
I fail to see how time is money when the alternative to driving to the box office to purchase tickets is watching tv or surfing the web and not actually making money.
Because at 10am on a Thursday or Friday when tickets go on sale, my other option is not surfing the web or watching TV, it's working and getting paid. Your time has a value. The gasoline you put in your vehicle to get to a box office has a cost.

There are some shows where that collective cost is lower than the ticketing fees. For example, if I know a show at The National (which is less than two miles from my home) isn't going to sell out on the first day, I will often go to the box office. But if I want to see some band play the enormodome in Va Beach or DC and I'd like reasonably good seats (which will sell out early), the ticketing fee is a fraction of what it'd cost me to go to the box office and get them.

I will never understand people complaining about ticketing fees. It the worst collective idea this board shares.

Tickets went on sale at 10am on a Saturday. We don't have weekend jobs. We were buying three lawn tickets. Which you can get AT ANY TIME, as long as the show doesn't sell out. There was no way Wilco was going to be an instant sell out at Wolftrap. It still hasn't sold out, six weeks after going on sale. Ticket fees were $22.75.

We live 45 minutes round trip and about $3 in gas round trip away from the box office. Sometimes we are even over in that area for other things, and that would negate the time and gas costs.

I don't have a beef with ticket fees when there are options to avoiding them, as was this case.

hutch

« Reply #4173 on: June 01, 2017, 12:54:13 pm »
My "beef" is purely aesthetic.. just include them in the price and be done with it.. its so fake.. .they give much of the money from fees to the band anyways..

Yada

« Reply #4174 on: June 01, 2017, 02:36:00 pm »
But my wife insisted on buying the Wilco tickets online the second they went on sale because to her time is money.
Holy Moses, Celeste and I agree on something.

You're wasting precious gas on that trip.

Edit: I see you took that cost into the equation above.

Buying lawn tickets in advance is a major fail all around.

Space Freely

« Reply #4175 on: June 01, 2017, 02:59:13 pm »
But my wife insisted on buying the Wilco tickets online the second they went on sale because to her time is money.

Except for that time last year when I waited until the last minute to buy lawn tickets to the Buena Vista Social Club farewell tour and it was sold out. Boy was she pissed.

Yada

« Reply #4176 on: June 01, 2017, 03:13:06 pm »

Except for that time last year when I waited until the last minute to buy lawn tickets to the Buena Vista Social Club farewell tour and it was sold out. Boy was she pissed.

Interesting, i thought I went to their farewell tour at Lisner at GWU a few years ago.

Space Freely

« Reply #4177 on: June 01, 2017, 03:17:47 pm »

Interesting, i thought I went to their farewell tour at Lisner at GWU a few years ago.

Actually it was August 2015.
http://dcmetrotheaterarts.com/2015/08/30/orquesta-buena-vista-social-club-adios-tour-at-wolf-trap/

But in general I agree with you about waiting to by lawn, starting with the possibility of bad weather.

hutch

« Reply #4178 on: June 01, 2017, 04:17:02 pm »
is this a joke? all the main participants in the Buena Vista Social Club where already dead by 2015... no Ibrahim Ferrer, Ruben GOnsalez, Compay Segundo, etc

that was not the BVSC

« Reply #4179 on: June 01, 2017, 04:18:49 pm »
I always wanted to start a moped "biker gang" just so I could use the pun Buena Vespa Social Club.
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #4180 on: June 01, 2017, 04:27:09 pm »
I always wanted to start a moped "biker gang" just so I could use the pun Buena Vespa Social Club.

C-

« Reply #4181 on: June 01, 2017, 04:30:01 pm »

C-
I think you're grading harshly. It works both as a pure reference but its also a sly, self-aware joke about how a group of scooter riders cannot pass themselves off as a rough and tumble biker gang; the most menacing they can qualify for is a "social club". I think it's a solid B+ name.
LVMH

« Reply #4182 on: June 02, 2017, 09:49:57 am »
I do love that drums translates to:  batterie
on french liner notes

also the french use MDR (mort de rire) in place of LOL

c'est tout
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4183 on: June 02, 2017, 02:25:30 pm »
on french liner notes

batterie, from the verb battre, "to hit".  so batterie would be the noun generated from the verb to hit, in other words in french you are essentially calling drums "hit" or "hitter".  batterie is always singular, since it is a collective noun a la Borg.

</french_grammar>
<sig>

« Reply #4184 on: June 02, 2017, 04:40:10 pm »
on french liner notes

batterie, from the verb battre, "to hit".  so batterie would be the noun generated from the verb to hit, in other words in french you are essentially calling drums "hit" or "hitter".  batterie is always singular, since it is a collective noun a la Borg.

</french_grammar>
more of an onomatopoeia too
I think the person who hits is cooler than the person who drums
slack