Author Topic: random . . . randomness  (Read 1604257 times)

Starsky

Re: random . . . randomness
« Reply #7005 on: September 27, 2022, 11:42:38 pm »
Eleven schools in Buenos Aires capital district shut down today by students with demands. This is what allowing politics into schools can end up in.

You figure out the connection….

I can only think of one good reason for student walkouts to protest: school safety. Do we want kids in red states walking out of schools to protest integrated classes? Where does it end? It’s ok to walk out when I agree with what you are protesting but not ok when I don’t? What about the kids who don’t walk out? Do they lose a day of school cause those walking out will invariably have to be taught what they missed? Do teachers have to adjust the planned lessons? If kids want to make a difference in politics there are ways to do this outside the classroom.

Schools and students  need to focus on learning not politics.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #7006 on: September 28, 2022, 06:51:16 am »
So basically what you are saying is students shouldn’t have opinions, seems like a some light fascism there

And to think all this time we had a Faux News personality posting here
T.Rex

« Reply #7007 on: September 28, 2022, 07:36:47 am »
I can only think of one good reason for student walkouts to protest: school safety. Do we want kids in red states walking out of schools to protest integrated classes? Where does it end? It’s ok to walk out when I agree with what you are protesting but not ok when I don’t?

My issue is the approval of the school and sending out a 'opt in' email.  So the school is saying they approve.  Somewhat different than the Argentine situation (I put on google translate and felt I wasn't understanding what the problem was) as it appears this is student led?

I 100% think kids (and adults) should feel free to protest (and suffer the consequences of protesting ...which isn't a big deal in the US, unlike other parts of the world where you might just disappear. I really hope it stays like that in the US)
I think the school sanctioning it...mostly because the admin is aligned with the intent, but not in line with the governor (I still can't believe dems could only come up with Terry macNcheese)
but I'm sure in Grundy VA, the local police force was brought in to beat down the sissy sycophants

and yes, if there was a student walkout that demanded that the school have a morning prayer or separate drinking fountains for the POC students....and the school administration was like "sure, go for it and you won't get in trouble for cutting class"
I would be losing it

Hence why I pointed it out.

But I do think Koz is off, as hutch didn't say that students shouldn't have opinions
well I guess I disagree with his last line, students can learn, but also have opinions AND political stances
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 07:41:19 am by Special-hatch ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

Starsky

« Reply #7008 on: September 28, 2022, 08:28:46 am »
So basically what you are saying is students shouldn’t have opinions, seems like a some light fascism there

Basically that isn’t at all what I said. Of course they can have opinions but walking out of school is not the way to express them. Volunteer for a political cause or campaign, attend a political rally outside of school hours, put up a lemonade stand to raise money for candidates that agree with your position, get your parents to political canvass with you, etc. By the way all much more useful and difficult than simply walking out of school.

« Reply #7009 on: September 28, 2022, 08:52:04 am »

Basically that isn’t at all what I said. Of course they can have opinions but walking out of school is not the way to express them. Volunteer for a political cause or campaign, attend a political rally outside of school hours, put up a lemonade stand to raise money for candidates that agree with your position, get your parents to political canvass with you, etc. By the way all much more useful and difficult than simply walking out of school.
not sure I agree with that.  While yes they are missing out on one day of learning, it will create a big stir in the press and get attention.  Don't think the local press would cover a lemonade stand
slack

« Reply #7010 on: September 28, 2022, 09:22:23 am »
It's rare I see a trouble ticket that makes me smile...but this one did for sure

slack

GAY,GUY

« Reply #7011 on: September 28, 2022, 10:31:24 am »

As someone who is taking a college course—of all things I need in my life right now—with only young people aged 19 to 21 roughly . . . I can assure you, that ‘the kids are alright,’ and they are indeed, doing those things. It is sad, as I sit there daily in these classes, knowing that I am forever disconnected to the youth movement of my past.

« Reply #7012 on: September 28, 2022, 10:47:13 am »
as I sit there daily in these classes, knowing that I am forever disconnected to the youth movement of my past.
kinda supposed to work that way
slack

GAY,GUY

« Reply #7013 on: September 28, 2022, 10:59:47 am »
Sadness, believes not, in the truth.

Starsky

« Reply #7014 on: September 28, 2022, 02:59:55 pm »

« Reply #7015 on: September 28, 2022, 03:22:49 pm »
so getting Ian from Jethro Tull to do a few bars on that crystal flute...would that make you happy
slack

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #7016 on: September 28, 2022, 03:33:03 pm »
The whole Library Of Congress inviting  Lizzo over to visit their vast flute collection, was a brilliant PR/Social Media move on their part.

https://twitter.com/librarycongress/status/1575130139922513921?s=20&t=SqzVOGYoy0VQStFFd07BAg

and i'm sure the find something new to complain about every day crowd is losing their minds over this event taking place and LOC were clearly anticipating backlash by mentioning this

" For those concerned about the flute: Music Division curators made sure it could be played without damage. This sort of thing is not all that unusual, in fact. Some of the Library's priceless instruments were donated with the stipulation that they remain functional & be played."

T.Rex

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #7017 on: September 28, 2022, 03:54:26 pm »
The curator of the Smithsonian's Stradivarius collection is a lecturer at UMD, but just for advanced string students. They get the chance to play them (probably their only chance ever at playing such valuable instruments).
😐 🎶

« Reply #7018 on: September 28, 2022, 03:54:36 pm »
yeah, read that the curator was impressed a lizzo actually knew quite a bit about different flutes and how to flaut them
although no comment on that outfit she wore
slack

GAY,GUY

« Reply #7019 on: September 28, 2022, 06:50:11 pm »
Where is Azag?

Azag, where are you? Stop being, so blind, to this forum!