Author Topic: A rolling compendium of everything Julian eats: a guide to healthy living  (Read 106850 times)

killsaly

Re: A rolling compendium of everything Julian eats: a guide to healthy living
« Reply #375 on: October 10, 2015, 09:34:07 pm »
who makes the best crab chips?  in my opinion, it is route 11 chips out of mt, Jackson, va.  look em up.
Kettle Classics Chesapeake Bay Crab Chips by Utz

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #376 on: October 10, 2015, 09:38:55 pm »
^ such a homer
<sig>

ggw

« Reply #377 on: October 19, 2015, 12:33:18 pm »
I was with someone who has celiac. If we're splitting something, like the pizza, I don't mind eating gluten-free if that assists someone else.

This Column Is Gluten-Free

But of course the gluten-free trend is not just about multiplying celiac sufferers. People decide gluten must be bad for them because they see shelves full of gluten-free food at supermarkets. Forms of food intolerance, whether to wheat or dairy products or something else, have reached near epidemic levels among the global middle class.

Special dietary needs are all the rage. Allergies, real or imagined, multiply. One in five Britons now claim some form of intolerance, yet a 2010 Portsmouth University study found the claims were often unfounded. The narcissism of minor differences finds expression in the food-intolerance explosion: Having a special dietary requirement is one way to feel special in the prevailing ?me? culture.

« Reply #378 on: October 19, 2015, 12:49:01 pm »
it goes both ways on that as I know some people with deadly nut allergies and have spent time in the ER because of it.
Gluten-free is absurd levels now
but there is a real...but very small portion of the population that really should avoid the stuff

that whole shelves of stuff is being sold is just marketing to idiots
and they are eating it up (pun intended)

I also have an issue with all this fake meat stuff
If you are a vegetarian/vegan...why do you need products like tofurkey, tofudogs and Veggie bacon strips
just bonkers...plus that stuff tastes like absolute crap and really isn't that healthy for you

Vegetarians should really avoid mass produced tofu in general...unless they like manboobs
TOP TEN REASONS TO AVOID SOY
1.Soybeans contain large quantities of natural toxins or ?antinutrients?. First among them are potent enzyme inhibitors that block the action of trypsin and other enzymes needed for protein digestion.
2.These inhibitors are not deactivated during cooking & processing.  Test animals fed these inhibitors developed enlargement and pathological conditions of the pancreas, including cancer.
3.Soybeans also contain haemagglutinin, a clot-promoting substance that causes red blood cells to clump together.
4. 99% of soy is genetically modified and it among the highest contamination by pesticides of any of our foods.
5.Soybeans are high in phytic acid, a substance that blocks the uptake of the essential minerals calcium, magnesium, copper, iron and especially zinc, in the intestinal tract.
6.Soy products contain high levels of aluminum, leached from the aluminum tanks in which they are acid washed and processed at high temperatures.
7.Nitrites, which are potent carcinogens, are formed during the spray-drying of soy.
8.Soy Protein Isolates, which are shown to enlarge the pancreas and thyroid and increase fatty acid deposits in the liver.
9.Soy contains toxic isoflavones.
10.Soy foods have a high concentration of goitrogens which block production of thyroid hormones.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 12:51:28 pm by Watermelondrea |̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅| »
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #379 on: October 19, 2015, 12:55:32 pm »
I concur on the "intolerance" thing. It's mostly psychosomatic or just jumping on a trend.

The soybean/tofu rant I sort of agree with and sort of don't. Tofu for every meal is not a great idea. Tofu products 2-3 times a week -- you know: moderation -- isn't really going to be deleterious to one's health.

(I'm not a huge user of the "fake meat" substitutes, aside from black bean veggie "burgers" but I don't have an issue with them. If one has a moral objection to meat but still wants to simulate the taste, that's fine with me. And as to vague claims of "isn't that healthy for you," again, moderation.)
LVMH

« Reply #380 on: October 19, 2015, 12:59:41 pm »
-- you know: moderation -- And as to vague claims of "isn't that healthy for you," again, moderation.)

Boom!
that I can totally agree with
moderation is good with everything (except the 930 board)

I have this neighbor who feeds their kid tofugly things three meals a day and they are convinced they are providing that child healthy sustenance
child has pretty bad developmental issues and I feel that his diet actually is a contributing factor
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #381 on: October 19, 2015, 01:06:10 pm »
I guess one of my biggest annoyances with discussing food/nutrition with people is so many people want to treat "healthy" as a binary thing: a certain food is either "healthy" or it is "not healthy." And in the vast majority of cases, that's idiotic. Almonds are healthy and ice cream is not healthy so it must follow that eating 8,000 calories of almonds a day is healthy and eating a 1/4 cup of ice cream once a week is unhealthy. No, that's absurd.

The totality of one's diet and exercise regimen is healthy or not. Jaded can eat an amount of food that the average person could not do so healthily because his exercise regimen is standard deviations above the mean. Someone else eating the exact same foods with a sedentary life-style is going to turn up very different health-wise. Everything is interconnected. But people like to make grand sweeping statements like "soy is unhealthy" and its just eye-roll inducing. How much soy? How often? What are you eating in addition to soy to fill other macro-nutrient needs? Like no, if you're the model of diet and exercise and eat a tofu scramble once a week, you're not going to grow giant moobs of cancer.

EDIT: None of that was particularly directed at Sidehatch, just a general comment.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 01:13:22 pm by Carlos Spicyweiner, a Julian®©? BRAND »
LVMH

« Reply #382 on: October 19, 2015, 02:30:31 pm »
EDIT: None of that was particularly directed at Sidehatch, just a general comment.
none taken and quite cogent

but I think we can all agree that Bacon is healthy for you and makes you smarter and better looking
slack

killsaly

« Reply #383 on: October 19, 2015, 08:20:50 pm »
I have this neighbor who feeds their kid tofugly things three meals a day and they are convinced they are providing that child healthy sustenance
child has pretty bad developmental issues and I feel that his diet actually is a contributing factor
What?  That is a bold claim with zero evidence. 

"I feel" aka talking out of one's ass

(by the way, I am not saying that you might not be right; I am not a nutritionist. but saying your neighbor's kid has developmental issues BECAUSE of his diet, is kind of messed up especially since you state it is because of your feelings on the matter and not facts.  Does your neighbor talk like this about you and your family and your diet?)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 08:24:53 pm by killsaly »

stevewizzle

« Reply #384 on: October 19, 2015, 08:54:16 pm »

(by the way, I am not saying that you might not be right; I am not a nutritionist. but saying your neighbor's kid has developmental issues BECAUSE of his diet, is kind of messed up especially since you state it is because of your feelings on the matter and not facts.  Does your neighbor talk like this about you and your family and your diet?)

« Reply #385 on: October 19, 2015, 09:30:27 pm »
that was a pretty epic retort
I didn't say it caused it, that's not where I was going with that, but I can see my choice of phrasing could be improved.  And I would never argue that my ass doesn't have a wide vocabulary.

I'm an anecdotal internet doctor...please never take my advice...seriously!

I feel that what you eat, is really important, from whilst in the womb until the last day you walk on this plane. It's a corny saying, but you are what you eat. There is a tremendous amount of 'food' out there and personally I think it's poison and won't kill you in small doses (kinda like cigarettes). 

That's my story and I'm sticking with it. 

« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 09:59:11 pm by Watermelondrea |̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅| »
slack

hutch

« Reply #386 on: October 20, 2015, 08:55:19 am »

couldn't have said it better....

« Reply #387 on: October 20, 2015, 09:56:18 am »
. but saying your neighbor's kid has developmental issues BECAUSE of his diet,
I just want to note I did not say that

contributing factor I did and admittedly out of my ass. 

But maybe the grammar police would mediate this one?
(although we should probably just move on)
slack

hutch

« Reply #388 on: October 20, 2015, 03:00:17 pm »
. but saying your neighbor's kid has developmental issues BECAUSE of his diet,
I just want to note I did not say that

contributing factor I did and admittedly out of my ass. 

But maybe the grammar police would mediate this one?
(although we should probably just move on)

you should change your name to Donald Trump. he talks out of his ass and doubles down!

« Reply #389 on: October 26, 2015, 12:20:45 pm »
who was it that said he'd never seen someone happy while running?
me

For every 50 people I see on the trail when riding my bike...only 1-2 look like they are having a good time
I bet Jaded has a big grin when he runs tho
Saw photographic proof that Jaded does in fact run with a big grin...even in the rain
I can only attribute it to persistent delusion syndrome
slack