Author Topic: Maybe we should just elect Trump president  (Read 905126 times)

Re: Maybe we should just elect Trump president
« Reply #435 on: January 01, 2016, 11:01:20 pm »
I think the GOP is doomed in a national election...primaries really mean nothing
little hyperbole there
primaries mean nothing? ha hah a.... it means nothing who the nominees are?

I should have stated it's really early, he has had a sustained lead, but Bachman, Perry and Cain were all leading the polls too

It is a big feild with a lot of poor choices, so fertile soil for trump.  But I still don't think he'll make it past super tuesday
A lot could happen in 1 month
He has had quite the sustained lead

Monday, February 1                            Iowa caucus
Tuesday, February 9                            New Hampshire
Saturday, February 20-27                   Nevada /South Carolina

can anyone tell me why having all the primaries on one day would be a bad thing?

slack

hutch

« Reply #436 on: January 02, 2016, 12:00:22 am »
I think the GOP is doomed in a national election...primaries really mean nothing
little hyperbole there
primaries mean nothing? ha hah a.... it means nothing who the nominees are?

I should have stated it's really early, he has had a sustained lead, but Bachman, Perry and Cain were all leading the polls too

It is a big field with a lot of poor choices, so fertile soil for trump.  But I still don't think he'll make it past super tuesday
A lot could happen in 1 month
He has had quite the sustained lead

Monday, February 1                            Iowa caucus
Tuesday, February 9                            New Hampshire
Saturday, February 20-27                   Nevada /South Carolina

can anyone tell me why having all the primaries on one day would be a bad thing?

these examples of cain, bachman and Perry are terrible... cain led for like for 2 weeks WAY earlier in the process... bachman led in IOWA like six months before Iowa voted... I think Perry led BEFORE he entered the race or maybe for a week or two right after Bachman.. then he opened his mouth and said "oops".. it is true that Gingrich had a moment in the sun once the primaries started ....a great example of what you are saying is Howard Dean in 2004 who was creaming the field before Iowa, lost iowa to Kerry (horrible candidate), had his SCREAM and was toast....it all happened so quickly...

Trump could implode but he has led since he joined the race like five months ago.. you can't compare that to the other fly by night leaders from recent memory... of course Trump could easily lose Iowa to Cruz and then fall in NH.. of course somebody else can win the Republican nomination..

obviously anything can happen... I think all I was saying was that Trump has an uncanny ability to cut through all the political BS candidates say and say what the people being polled want to hear...that is a huge asset! to be able to read what the people want to hear even when the entire establishment/media/conventional wisdom says its crazy and that if you say it you are done.... FOUR times now he has made rather unconventional statements that have been very effective... we can definitely call him a demagogue but I think he is demonstrating some signs of being a good politician.... its all too easy to say he is a nut and the Republicans are all bonkers but I think that is a little simplistic..(not saying you said that)... I also think that people discounting Trump entirely are missing the point that in a general he would be better positioned to pivot to the center than many other Republicans because he has quite the record of being fairly moderate/liberal on social issues...

big field with a lot of poor choices? I would argue this is the best Republican field ever.... the fact people don't like Jeb Bush or Rick Perry or Walker or any of these people doesn't take away from their experience etc....again, I would not vote for them but a weak field would be the democratic field!!

wholeheartedly agree we should have a national primary.. also, everyone should be automatically registered to vote AND the day of a presidential election should be on a weekend or people should get a day off...

« Reply #437 on: January 02, 2016, 12:04:11 am »
and the election will not be decided by head to head matchup polls today- but as usual- by voters in Ohio, Florida, Virginia...

FYI...of your states, only VA gets to vote in the primaries on super tuesday
OH and FL....after Puerto Rico (GOP)

jez American Samaoa and the Virgin Islands(?) cast primary votes before NY, MD, PA, NJ and CA!

I really don't understand how order is justified
slack

hutch

« Reply #438 on: January 03, 2016, 11:17:27 am »
and the election will not be decided by head to head matchup polls today- but as usual- by voters in Ohio, Florida, Virginia...

FYI...of your states, only VA gets to vote in the primaries on super tuesday
OH and FL....after Puerto Rico (GOP)

jez American Samaoa and the Virgin Islands(?) cast primary votes before NY, MD, PA, NJ and CA!

I really don't understand how order is justified

well I meant the general election..

the idea behind the primary process I think is that Iowa (traditional rural midwest?), New Hampshire (maybe northeast?), South Carolina (southern/black?) and Nevada (west/latino?) together provide a representative microcosm of the US and that we should really only need those states to decide things.. decide things early and move on...obviously those states don't want to lose their early position in the process because of the attention and money the candidates lavish on them....also having a few small states early encourages candidates to talk to and interact with "real people" on the ground whereas if you had a national primary candidates might just focus on running more of a national campaign (more media based.. less small meetings, townhalls, etc).. furthermore, resources to run a national primary campaign would need to be much greater.. some of these things have changed though in the "modern" internet/media age...I am just trying to articulate some of the reasoning behind this moronic system...

I don't think the process makes a whit of sense...members of each party should have a one day primary 2-3 months before the general and be done with it....not this utterly ridiculous neverending marathon slog beatch process with endless debates and candidates appearing on the news programs 873 times..... but of course there are big economic interests at play that fight to keep the system the way it is (think of the money the TV stations in the early states get, the national media which needs something to do, the campaign consultants who benefit from a more drawn out primary process, etc)

just another example of "American exceptionalism"... no other country in the world, of course, has such a system..
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 11:22:28 am by hutch »

walk,on,by

« Reply #439 on: January 03, 2016, 06:16:04 pm »
it is amazing . . . that when I ask people, if you had to vote today, for either trump or Hillary, the majority answer, is trump.  so many people, do not trust Hillary.

hutch

« Reply #440 on: January 03, 2016, 07:30:01 pm »
it is amazing . . . that when I ask people, if you had to vote today, for either trump or Hillary, the majority answer, is trump.  so many people, do not trust Hillary.

well.. given where you live, I don't find that surprising at all...but it is true, many people, do not trust, Hillary..

« Reply #441 on: January 07, 2016, 10:48:56 am »
slack

« Reply #442 on: January 07, 2016, 11:27:41 am »
slack

Relaxer

« Reply #443 on: January 07, 2016, 11:33:01 am »
Cruz and Rubio are the same age, so Cruz is prob just throwin shade because Marco gets all the chicks.
oword

K8teebug

« Reply #444 on: January 07, 2016, 12:07:32 pm »
Did he really think Paris is in Germany?

« Reply #445 on: January 07, 2016, 12:20:30 pm »
Did he really think Paris is in Germany?
Was for a few years it did...so not totally false
slack

vansmack

« Reply #446 on: January 07, 2016, 12:52:17 pm »

You live in Richmond, right?
27>34

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
😐 🎶

Space Freely

« Reply #448 on: January 07, 2016, 02:04:30 pm »

You live in Richmond, right?

No, he doesn't. Also:

The city of Richmond is heavily African-American and Democratic-leaning,

« Reply #449 on: January 07, 2016, 02:14:43 pm »

The city of Richmond is full of heavy African-Americans
Didn't know space was on the fat hate train
slack