Author Topic: Maybe we should just elect Trump president  (Read 920881 times)

K8teebug

shemptiness

Re: Maybe we should just elect Trump president
« Reply #2386 on: November 14, 2016, 03:42:19 pm »
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/civil-war-laws-prevented-voting/

'In 1787 James Madison introduced the Electoral College as an alternative to a popular vote system because, ?Negroes? in the South presented a ?difficulty ? of a serious nature.?'

vansmack

« Reply #2387 on: November 14, 2016, 04:56:52 pm »
senate will flip blue in 2 years, if history holds, so he has 2 years of unfettered power.

33 Senate seats up for grabs.

23 are Democrats (including FL, IN, MO, MI, MN, MT, ND, OH, PA, VA, WI, WV)
2 are Independents who already Caucus with the Dems.
8 are Republicans in AZ, MS, NE, NV, TN, TX, UT and WY.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 05:00:24 pm by vansmack »
27>34

hutch

« Reply #2388 on: November 14, 2016, 05:25:46 pm »
senate will flip blue in 2 years, if history holds, so he has 2 years of unfettered power.

33 Senate seats up for grabs.

23 are Democrats (including FL, IN, MO, MI, MN, MT, ND, OH, PA, VA, WI, WV)
2 are Independents who already Caucus with the Dems.
8 are Republicans in AZ, MS, NE, NV, TN, TX, UT and WY.

the Republicans are likely to expand their majority....

« Reply #2389 on: November 14, 2016, 05:44:45 pm »
or the hallellujah..
I don't know...this was unexpected and the perfect way to open
Someone obviously tipped you off...so IMO it's not the same experience
if you didn't know and saw that opening, I think your jaw might have been on the floor

between what really happened with the election and Cohen dying and Kate's awesome Hillary the past few seasons and her unbelievable rendition of the song
for a moment I believed it was Hillary picking a perfect song to do a soliloquy too

His monologue was pretty f'n awesome too.  Most unique one to date

It was kind of a healing moment for me
(sadly similar to 9.11)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 05:48:27 pm by sadHatch 🛠|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|⚔ »
slack

vansmack

« Reply #2390 on: November 14, 2016, 05:52:35 pm »
^ that is my summary of the entire election: ok, you're frustrated, you feel cheated... but: trump???  really?!?

For her, no.   But for the majority of the white lower/middle class blue and "light blue" collared workers, yes.

Look, the Democrats lost the labor vote in MI, PA, OH, and WI.  How fucking out of touch are we that the Democrats couldn't even carry the union vote?  The answer is VERY.
27>34

hutch

« Reply #2391 on: November 14, 2016, 05:55:01 pm »
oh good lord. you "heal" over an SNL skit? sometimes I hate my generation....its like a fuckin' joke.. people feel better because of an SNL skit.. and I'm not singling you out.. looking at Facebook it seems most people feel like that.. like WOW Chappelle was FUNNY! AWESOME now I feel great!

anyways, lets talk seriously.. Trump might well surprise a lot of people in a positive way... the issue for me is that the things he said and has done are a deal breaker.. I wish it weren't so....but I can't go back.

Trump already spoken to Argentine President Macri...they're actually fairly good friends and used to golf regularly.....Macri comes from a wealthy Argentine family so when he visited NYC he'd go golfing with Trump... no sign of any "grudge" on the part of Trump (Argentina was pretty vocal about wanting Hillary to win..)... Macri told him he expects to see him in Argentina for the G20 summit in 2018.. Trump told Macri he hopes Macri can visit the White House next year... Lets look at the facts: the relationship between Argentina and the US for the past 15 years has been pretty bad due to W and then Argentina having the Kirchners... this is the first time since the 1990s that the two countries might actually get along...

Like I said, Trump might actually be fairly decent.. and the fact he has control of everything means that for a change the President will be able to do what he wants which I realize to most people is terrifying but governmental paralysis really couldn't go on any longer....

Some encouraging signs from Trump also on student loans...

vansmack

« Reply #2392 on: November 14, 2016, 06:32:07 pm »
Also the first election since the voting rights act was gutted. I think many people also COULDN'T vote. Not to get to conspiracy about it, but I think this will also be a big story (if the press still exists).

Yes, there is something here, and it needs to be improved, but don't ignore the fact that Hillary wasn't very appealing to the African American community. 

One other thing to consider, and I suspect there's a book here if somebody wants to take the time to do the research, but the impact the Black Lives Matter movement had on the election.  Given the higher than expected turnout of rural under-educated and under-paid whites, the data is supporting the theory that their movement created a backlash (er, whitelash?) and that backlash voted, but the movement itself stayed home on election day and, possibly, made their situation worse.   
27>34

walkie,talkie

« Reply #2393 on: November 14, 2016, 06:33:10 pm »
The guy from breitbart.  Enough, said.  Maybe this, is the repeat of the future past.

shemptiness

« Reply #2394 on: November 14, 2016, 06:33:53 pm »
Blair students stage walkout to protest Trump.  Head to wheaton plaza food court.

http://www.fox5dc.com/news/217384690-story

I'd like to see an all-girls' school walk out in protest.  I can't believe the percentage of women who voted for this guy.  

« Reply #2395 on: November 14, 2016, 06:35:23 pm »
How fucking out of touch are we that the Democrats couldn't even carry the union vote?  The answer is VERY.
I have never been able to wrap my head around Union people who vote Republican
Scott walker was praised as the second coming for 'taking on the unions'
they talk shit about unions all the time
fools to think that Trump is going to bring manufacturing jobs back
slack

« Reply #2396 on: November 14, 2016, 06:40:18 pm »
oh good lord. you "heal" over an SNL skit? sometimes I hate my generation....its like a fuckin' joke.. people feel better because of an SNL skit.. and I'm not singling you out.. looking at Facebook it seems most people feel like that.. like WOW Chappelle was FUNNY! AWESOME now I feel great!
dude...take a chill pill.  You don't think Music and comedy have healing properties
I did not say that "oh I saw that show and now everything is sunshine and rainbows"
No this is worst case scenario and that was anodyne
didn't make it go away

But to me, it ended that shit week in a way I didn't expect from a place I didn't expect
slack

hutch

« Reply #2397 on: November 14, 2016, 06:42:04 pm »
How fucking out of touch are we that the Democrats couldn't even carry the union vote?  The answer is VERY.
I have never been able to wrap my head around Union people who vote Republican
Scott walker was praised as the second coming for 'taking on the unions'
they talk shit about unions all the time
fools to think that Trump is going to bring manufacturing jobs back

I never understand why people think all union voters should vote democratic.. or all evangelicals should vote Republican ..  people are not one issue voters... pretty much the only people that seem to vote one way no matter what are african americans.... the latest one issue voters according to the media seem to be Latinos and they didn't vote for Hillary overwhelmingly enough apparently.. well Latinos don't just vote on immigration...many of us are here legally- ummm like were born here maybe- and don't particularly care for illegals coming in to the country either.. when I hear Trump saying he is going to deport people here illegally who have commited crimes I am not too bothered to be honest... having pro Latino policies should not be equated with being pro illegal immigration..

shemptiness

« Reply #2398 on: November 14, 2016, 06:44:14 pm »

One other thing to consider, and I suspect there's a book here if somebody wants to take the time to do the research, but the impact the Black Lives Matter movement had on the election.  Given the higher than expected turnout of rural under-educated and under-paid whites, the data is supporting the theory that their movement created a backlash (er, whitelash?) and that backlash voted, but the movement itself stayed home on election day and, possibly, made their situation worse.   

So how much of that was because of apathy and how much of it was because the media said it was a done deal for her and there was no use showing up?  It's a little late now.

vansmack

« Reply #2399 on: November 14, 2016, 07:08:34 pm »
So how much of that was because of apathy and how much of it was because the media said it was a done deal for her and there was no use showing up?  It's a little late now.

The second question is a good one.  It definitely had an impact on the states she was already going to win, however, turnout was still high in the swing states she lost.  We don't have all the data yet, but the increase in early returns showed that Hispanics were turning out for her, but not necessarily African Americans.  Voters long lines and the media all played a part, but not to the tune of 2 million less African Americans than 2012 - an 11% reduction - and she lost 5% of those African Americans that did vote (93% in 2012 compared to 88% in 2016).  Those numbers were definitely factors in Detroit, Philadelphia, Milwaukee and Cleveland. 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 07:12:43 pm by vansmack »
27>34