Author Topic: Parenting issues  (Read 66365 times)

Space Freely

Re: Parenting issues
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2020, 09:17:31 am »
At that age aren't kids just regurgitating what they hear their parents say? I'd encourage her to be accepting of people who have different ideas. A bit too early to get hung up on politics.

Yeah, that's basically the advice I'm going with. Her friend is basically a good kid who has been a good friend, it seems a little young to be making friendship decisions base on such things at such a young age.

I'm not sure it's *always* all about regurgitating what the parents say though. My kid says she's going to get straight A's from now on, so she can become President and institute a system of anarchy in the USA. As far as I know, she's getting her anarchy ideas from the internet and not her parents.

I like that she's found a reason to put some effort into her schoolwork though.

« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2020, 09:58:35 am »
You know me...always quoting scripture.

some sage advice
Ezekiel 18:20 The son will not bear the punishment for the father's iniquity

Can't blame the kids for crazy parents... But, sometimes reasonable in the other direction

slack

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2020, 12:40:21 pm »
I do think young kids Initially pick up on what their parents say and treat it like gospel. Takes a while before they even consider whether the political or religious bent of their parents makes sense.

It’s a tough balance. I want to provide some guidance but ultimately I want my kids to think for themselves and make reasoned choices.

« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2020, 02:51:30 pm »
Elie Mystal@ElieNYC
I’m really sick of being a parent today. It has been FOUR MONTHS since anybody other than me and my wife have been responsible for them.

It’s hard. I feel like non-parents have no idea how hard it’s been.
slack

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2020, 03:56:11 pm »
lol is that a serious tweet? Probably not. No idea who he/she is.

« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2020, 04:02:20 pm »
lol is that a serious tweet? Probably not. No idea who he/she is.
just a random tweet, I think it's serious though and I can personally relate on some level

I think a lot of parents are struggling with the day to day with their family
used to just send your kids to school for the day, they might have sports or other activities afterschool
Used to just send your kids to camp for the day/week
Used to be at work all day while the kids were doing these activities

Now everyone is home all the time.  Not like you can say Here's a $20 go see a movie with your friends or even go to a friends house

is a lot of 1st world white people kinda problems I agree...
but I think most parents probably didn't spend more than 20 hours a week in the same room as their kids.  now it's 24/7 and you can't tell them to go out and play with their friends
slack

hutch

« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2020, 04:02:50 pm »
He’s on SNL

The fat black dude

« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2020, 04:04:36 pm »
He’s on SNL

The fat black dude
I don't think so....

Elie Mystal @ElieNYC
Justice Correspondent: @thenation
 Alignment: Neutral Good. Str:12 Dex:8 Con:15 Int:13 Wis:10 Char:14 Class: Paladin. Strong Against: Republicans.
NYCthenation.com/authors/elie-m…Joined May 2009

has a blue check mark and everything
slack

hutch

« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2020, 04:08:56 pm »

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2020, 04:15:52 pm »
It’s hard. I feel like non-parents have no idea how hard it’s been.
Yeah, it’s crazy how that worked out. I also don’t know what it’s like to pick up dog shit when walking the dog I didn’t get.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2020, 04:24:04 pm »
Sidehatch you are in the wrong place if you are looking for empathy...

« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2020, 04:29:40 pm »
Sidehatch you are in the wrong place if you are looking for empathy...
oh I know...and not really looking for it
but saw that and it struck a cord
slack

hutch

« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2020, 04:34:09 pm »
Kind of reminds me of when I posted about my kids hardly getting any schooling and how much it sucked given their circumstances and Sweets famously replied something like “Sorry your teachers suck my kids’ teachers have been awesome!”

Made me feel all warm and fuzzy

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2020, 04:38:26 pm »
It's been really tough for everybody.

I planned to spend time paying the guitar and learning how to ollie.  Haven't done either at this point cause of work. Boo Hoo.   

« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2020, 04:59:55 pm »
learning how to ollie. 
Caveat Emptor as one old guy can tell ya...
damn ollie put me in surgery and now wearing a cast for next 4 weeks due to a tear of my Achilles tendon
Stretch out and warm up...this covid had me sitting on my ass for 4 months getting almost no exercise
My mind remembered what was needed to do the trick...but my tight assed tendon didn't agree

I can say this the key to a good ollie is being able to slap that tail down as hard as you can and then the second it hits the ground, jumping straight up and letting the front foot do the work to lift the rest of the board up

I will say these 'trainers' I imagine could really help get a feel for the trick with out the fear of the board flying out from under you
slack