Author Topic: Parenting issues  (Read 66359 times)

StoneTheCrow

Re: Parenting issues
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2020, 07:21:01 pm »
Ugh.  Sorry to hear that. I imagine I could end up the same way if I'm not careful. But if I can't get this down, what's the point in having the board anymore?

I do have those trainers.

« Reply #76 on: July 03, 2020, 09:45:06 am »
I keep getting this ad for the ‘Masterclass’ by Tony hawk
But the way he describes and demonstrates how to do an Ollie is awesome and I think can really help understanding what is required to do one.   Honestly balance, strength, and confidence are the first requirements...as well as an acceptance that you ARE going to Have some epic wipeouts.  At least you give your friends/kids something to laugh at.

https://www.masterclass.com/classes/tony-hawk-teaches-skateboarding
slack

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #77 on: July 03, 2020, 04:42:54 pm »
Will have to check that out.

I keep telling myself it’s like snowboarding: once I figure it out it’ll be easy. It’s just hard to put it all together.

« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2020, 05:17:45 pm »
I keep telling myself it’s like snowboarding:
they have some similarities but are nothing alike (street skating)
Much easier to be a ok snowboarder
than do a good Ollie
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #79 on: July 06, 2020, 02:29:16 pm »
It’s hard. I feel like non-parents have no idea how hard it’s been.
Yeah, it’s crazy how that worked out. I also don’t know what it’s like to pick up dog shit when walking the dog I didn’t get.

wrong analogy: it's having to take care of a dog which you got under the assumption there would be dog parks, you were allowed to use the sidewalk to walk your dog, that vets were available, that dog food would be sold in stores, etc. - then suddenly learn that all that was taken away, but you still have to take care of the dog.

jules, i get it, stirring the pot makes you feel powerful.  have at.  but parents did not get into the game knowing they would have a 9-hour shift of office work PLUS a 14+ hours childcare shift they would have to cover. if that was the case, the human race would be extinct. 

It’s hard. I feel like non-parents have no idea how hard it’s been.

expecting empathy, or intelligence, from some is a stretch.  see above.

another group in a different but unique situation are singles.  can you imagine being a 20-something, living on your own working your first job, going out on weekends... then having  to hole up by yourself for 4 months?  these are the folks who are now spreading the disease, because they can't bear the isolation any more.  it's easy to yell at them to stay home but you also have to sympathize with the loneliness they have had to wallow in.

i take it that most folks here have been able to keep their jobs - a blessing upon us all.  my deepest sympathies to anyone who isn't working at the moment due to the pandemic.  the increased unemployment benefits, if you can get them, aren't going to help you cope with the stress and uncertainty.

recent grads an another group that have it rough.  imagine walking out of college with $100K in debt and a 12% unemployment rate?

(in case you're keeping score: jules is neither a parent, nor single, nor lost his job, nor a recent grad.  no wonder he can flip a middle finger at everyone else's suffering.)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 08:06:51 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

« Reply #80 on: July 06, 2020, 02:37:25 pm »
I honestly could not imagine how hard it would be to be 18-25 today
this is not the dystopian future I was told about in Blade Runner
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #81 on: July 06, 2020, 02:50:36 pm »
I know 2 recent widows (non-COVID) who are trying to manage on their own. Loneliness and mourning are a tough combination.

hutch

« Reply #82 on: July 06, 2020, 05:08:09 pm »
Imagine being old

You are 77 and live alone...but you are a very sociable person...who knows how much time you have left..and you are wasting that time

And Argentina’s government has largely enforced a quarantine so you can’t go out much at all

That’s my mom’s situation

I agree it sucks for everyone though...but old people man they are getting f’ed

Space Freely

« Reply #83 on: September 08, 2020, 11:58:27 am »
How deflating is it when your kid's teacher introduces themselves and they share that they got their degree from Liberty University?

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #84 on: September 08, 2020, 12:02:56 pm »
How deflating is it when your kid's teacher introduces themselves and they share that they got their degree from Liberty University?
I tried to fight back against my own bias and hired a Liberty grad and it was honestly the worst person I have ever hired. EVER.
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #85 on: September 09, 2020, 01:16:24 pm »
The 60 year old male teacher who said he likes Nicky Minaj scored more points with my kid than the 60 year old male teacher who said his favorite movie was a John Wayne film and his favorite tv show was Cheers.

Pro tip if you're old: Pick a movie and tv show from this century. Preferably even this past decade. If you want to sound relatable.

Another teacher in her 30's had some very milquetoast favorites and said her favorite band was the Beatles. I said "I bet the next one is going to say the Stones are her favorite band."

And sure enough, it was.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #86 on: September 09, 2020, 01:25:54 pm »
Another teacher in her 30's had some very milquetoast favorites...
*gets excited for the Frank Turner burn to come*

...and said her favorite band was the Beatles.
*is disappointed*
LVMH

« Reply #87 on: September 09, 2020, 02:08:09 pm »
Another teacher in her 30's had some very milquetoast favorites...
*gets excited for the Frank Turner burn to come*
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #88 on: September 09, 2020, 02:37:10 pm »
In her defense, she did say her favorite foods were grilled cheese and pizza, which is probably relatable to kids. Milque and toast, not so much.

And I'm good with the Beatles and Stones. My kid can think her teachers have bad taste just like her dad does.