Author Topic: Twitter thread  (Read 171638 times)

Space Freely

Re: Twitter thread
« Reply #840 on: May 17, 2022, 03:36:00 pm »
Just stayed at Lake Lure where Dirty Dancing (and Last of the Mohicans) was filmed a few weeks back. Really gorgeous place. My wife's family has a lakehouse right on it.

Are they doing remakes of both of those films?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #841 on: May 17, 2022, 03:39:46 pm »
T.Rex

« Reply #842 on: May 17, 2022, 04:45:45 pm »
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #843 on: May 17, 2022, 07:47:53 pm »
Just stayed at Lake Lure where Dirty Dancing (and Last of the Mohicans) was filmed a few weeks back. Really gorgeous place. My wife's family has a lakehouse right on it.

Are they doing remakes of both of those films?
As a pedantic person, I appreciate this sentence layout callout.
LVMH

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #844 on: May 18, 2022, 07:16:56 pm »
😐 🎶

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
T.Rex

« Reply #846 on: May 24, 2022, 08:59:06 am »
That is some clever retort!

TIL I learned about the Georgia Guidestones
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Guidestones

The structure is sometimes referred to as an "American Stonehenge"
their apparent advocacy of population control, eugenics, and internationalism have made them an object of controversy and conspiracy theories.

My take is this lady is against any thing that is written on stone that is not from the bible

Oh yeah we can keep Confederate soldier monuments up "to not forget history" but we can tear this down, because we don't agree with it

Do you take me for a sponge, my lord
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 09:03:09 am by Sidespeare ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
LVMH

« Reply #848 on: May 24, 2022, 01:46:54 pm »
TIL the same woman thinks that there are human sacrifices happening on top

https://twitter.com/patriottakes/status/1529153428068376578?s=20&t=5Rzj72ot29r17wJrFz8_YA
Georgia Republican candidate Kandiss Taylor suggested human sacrifices are being done atop the Georgia Guidedtone monument that she wants to tear down as Governor.
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #849 on: May 24, 2022, 01:51:52 pm »
good trevor noah rant on the tax-free status of unrealized gains:

Trevor’s no finance expert, but the details of Elon Musk’s Twitter buy seem a little weird.
<sig>

« Reply #850 on: May 24, 2022, 02:37:09 pm »
I'm all for taxing the rich

But not sure how you can tax people on unrealized gains

value is only real when it's sold.
only a few months ago I could have a had 1 Million usd in value in Bitcoin
but now, only a few weeks later it's only worth $14.3435 in USD

Now if I sold the bitcoin when it was worth 1 million I would (and should) have paid taxes
but should this law say...well you had 1 Million in value on x date, you owe us taxes on that

I assume that then there would also be a 'credit' for unrealized losses too
couldn't I just say I lost 1 million in bitcoin to offset profits somewhere else

So part of his argument is in using it for Collateral to get other loans...and yes it is a little voodoo economics to do that

but say the lender cashed in on that collateral would he owe the taxes on that sale at the time
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 02:41:05 pm by Sidespeare ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

« Reply #851 on: May 24, 2022, 03:02:22 pm »
someone hacked Tucker's twitter bio
https://twitter.com/TuckerCarlson

slack

vansmack

« Reply #852 on: May 24, 2022, 03:57:08 pm »

Trevor’s no finance expert, but the details of Elon Musk’s Twitter buy seem a little weird.

Should you pay taxes on a home equity loan?
27>34

« Reply #853 on: May 24, 2022, 04:01:41 pm »

Should you pay taxes on a home equity loan?
I don't think so, honestly the tax deduction for interest on these loans is kinda bullshit (same for home loans...why would any loan interest  be deductible?)

Although it is income per se.  So I think you could tax it, but then you'd take that sum to reduce your capital appreciation when you sell
so wouldn't really net anything revenue wise and would make little incentive to take that kind of loan

I'd like to have some sort of wealth tax, I just don't think this is the way to do it

« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 04:07:48 pm by Sidespeare ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

vansmack

« Reply #854 on: May 24, 2022, 04:07:21 pm »
I don't think so,

Same principle as Musk's Twitter funding, and I agree.  He's not realizing the gain, he's borrowing against assets and taking a huge risk.  That's not a taxable event.

honestly the tax deduction for interest on these loans is kinda bullshit (same for home loans...why would any loan interest  be deductible?)

And I also agree here, even more so for a home equity loan.   While the mortgage deduction was an incentive to get people to fulfill the American Dream and buy a home, deductions for Home Equity loans make no sense and are an incentive to get folks into more financial trouble.  The elimination of the SALT deductions cost me a fortune in taxes, but I think it's fair.

Although it is income per se. 

An asset is not income.
27>34