Author Topic: Twitter thread  (Read 171671 times)

Re: Twitter thread
« Reply #855 on: May 24, 2022, 04:09:18 pm »
whoa...the smakie finance seal of approval.  Might need to take the rest of the day off (who am I kidding, was barely working to begin with)
slack

vansmack

« Reply #856 on: May 24, 2022, 05:31:57 pm »
Curly is the new gay.  Bravo, young man.

https://twitter.com/mattxiv/status/1529181072931659777
27>34

Space Freely

« Reply #858 on: May 30, 2022, 10:08:08 am »
The perfect tweet

https://twitter.com/brooke_af/status/1528845607149903873?s=21&t=ZThYBAWl0auIcDQ7q1bopA

john oliver had something to say about this

I would watch that, but, my wife tells me I should have a problem with an obnoxious foreigner who comes to America and make millions off of Americans by telling them what is wrong with America. So I'm not going to watch it!

Starsky

« Reply #859 on: May 30, 2022, 11:08:37 am »
That makes no sense…it’s often a foreigner that has the best perspective on a country

And needing foreigners to validate you as a society has always struck me as weak

A lot of the above is what I have experienced in my other country of Argentina more than in the US.

But it’s true John Oliver is just plain annoying so I wouldn’t watch it myself

Space Freely

« Reply #860 on: May 30, 2022, 01:03:59 pm »
That makes no sense…it’s often a foreigner that has the best perspective on a country

And needing foreigners to validate you as a society has always struck me as weak

A lot of the above is what I have experienced in my other country of Argentina more than in the US.

But it’s true John Oliver is just plain annoying so I wouldn’t watch it myself

She actually literally made that Oliver comment yesterday. I pointed out that she seems to like Trevor Noah, who basically does the same thing, and he's not obnoxious about it. of So maybe its like you say, the messenger who is egregious, not the message itself.

« Reply #861 on: May 31, 2022, 09:50:43 am »
slack

« Reply #862 on: May 31, 2022, 09:52:39 am »
I would watch that, but, my wife tells me I should have a problem with an obnoxious foreigner who comes to America and make millions off of Americans by telling them what is wrong with America. So I'm not going to watch it!
BTW John Oliver is an American citizen
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/watch-america-john-oliver-is-officially-a-us-citizen-now-1273984/
slack

Starsky

« Reply #863 on: May 31, 2022, 09:57:26 am »
Doesn’t change anything…nobody wants to hear from someone they consider lucky to be American

Its kind of the equivalent of an American criticizing the US publicly while abroad

Same rule sort of extends to all first generation Americans

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #864 on: May 31, 2022, 10:33:27 am »
Its kind of the equivalent of an American criticizing the US publicly while abroad
As a future expat, I take offense to this.
LVMH

Starsky

« Reply #865 on: May 31, 2022, 10:54:15 am »
As a future expat, I take offense to this.

Trust me…when you hear what the natives say about America you will quickly learn to laugh it off, pity them and not engage……or you will move back to the US

When you start hearing people literally blaming all the world’s evils on the US you won’t want to join in

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #866 on: May 31, 2022, 12:51:58 pm »
have a problem with an obnoxious foreigner who comes to America and make millions off of Americans by telling them what is wrong with America.

saying that foreigners who live in the US can't/shouldn't criticize the US is the stupidest, most jingistic argument ever.  it's a facile and infantile way to dismiss an opinion without having to actually come up with a counter-argument.  the day that that same foreigner says something in favor of their position, they'll be the first to elevate that argument as saying "see?  even the foreigners acknowledge this!!!"  (aside: jim jeffries' take on this).
<sig>

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #867 on: May 31, 2022, 12:57:58 pm »
You had me right up until you posted a Jim Jeffries link and lost me.
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #868 on: May 31, 2022, 01:34:22 pm »
have a problem with an obnoxious foreigner who comes to America and make millions off of Americans by telling them what is wrong with America.

saying that foreigners who live in the US can't/shouldn't criticize the US is the stupidest, most jingistic argument ever.  it's a facile and infantile way to dismiss an opinion without having to actually come up with a counter-argument.  the day that that same foreigner says something in favor of their position, they'll be the first to elevate that argument as saying "see?  even the foreigners acknowledge this!!!"  (aside: jim jeffries' take on this).

Well maybe the better idea is to not give a foreigner his own American tv show feautring commentary on America, thus giving his a louder voice than 99.99% of Americans.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #869 on: May 31, 2022, 01:34:46 pm »
You had me right up until you posted a Jim Jeffries link and lost me.

mea culpa... i got carried away...

;D
<sig>