Author Topic: The Anthem  (Read 258193 times)

ggw

Re: The Anthem
« Reply #570 on: October 09, 2017, 12:04:22 pm »
Fugazi has played plenty of events that sell beer.

hutch

« Reply #571 on: October 09, 2017, 12:06:59 pm »
Fugazi has played plenty of events that sell beer.

Oh...i am surprised to learn that..guess that makes sense

Anthem meets their all ages requirement

Fugazi on Tuesday gonna rock then

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #572 on: October 09, 2017, 12:10:43 pm »
I'm assuming the Waterfront green line station is closer? I don't need to do any line switching so...
T.Rex

hutch

« Reply #573 on: October 09, 2017, 12:12:48 pm »
Then stick to green line...jury is out on which is closer...email said lenfant is closer but i think the difference is insignificant...one person said lenfant is 15 min and waterfront is 12

« Reply #574 on: October 09, 2017, 12:13:59 pm »
I will say...they were barely ready to have people last night
so I'm sure they will get the lighting/bathroom stuff straightened out

funny about all this chatter on the food...go to the Birchmere FFS
(ok TBT it did look somewhat good...but there are a lot of options that will be down there too)

I was a little Meh with the beer selection and the no prices really annoyed me
$9 for a pint of dc brau corruption
$26 for 2 DFH 60min bottles and 1 Pacifico draft

guess the rent is steeper, but that seems 20%30% for beer compared to the club

Batfangs was fun and highlight of the music
the Brendan/Joy instrumental thing was entertaining, but I was kinda spent at that point and left midway through
the danger painters...were dreadful. why did they let them play for an hour

I think the venue is top notch, love how there are so many places to get sight-lines of the stage
they even raised the back section on the floor

I can't really comment on the sound, but was pretty tight during bat fangs
it's a big place and it wasn't packed, so there is that

it was fun seeing dycraig, but somehow missed all the other boardies
(I was with hutch, so that tends to scare people away ;) )

The cymbol art thing is cool.  hutch told me that the pool with the glass bottom is up there.
The outdoor deck is awesome and so nice to be able to sometimes get out of the club with out having to go through security

on security...well the new normal
had to get wanded and take things out of your pockets

The place is awesome, but thinking I'll have to get a second job to afford the tickets and beer there
slack

« Reply #575 on: October 09, 2017, 12:15:07 pm »
Damn - if only Guy has been there
what has he been up to?
would love to catch him again
slack

shemptiness

« Reply #576 on: October 09, 2017, 12:19:28 pm »
I was expecting a big name act, but ultimately the star of the evening was the venue itself.  Kinks to be worked out, sure.  But that's
the purpose of the soft openings - figure out what doesn't work and fix it before the grand opening.

The sound from the balcony seats was a bit muddy - I couldn't make out the vocals until I moved to the center rear. Moved up front for Bat Fangs and was super glad I did.  Charging and signing for each beer seems a hassle.  I wonder if that will change.

We paid the $25 to park in the garage.  Tons of cars parked on the street in the no parking zones.  Not sure what's up with that. Even with the relatively early ending metro was not an option afterwards (I don't think).

hutch

« Reply #577 on: October 09, 2017, 12:23:40 pm »
Yah...charging after each transaction was/is (?) interesting......i wonder if it would lead to people spending less..

Have to say i got my beers super quick

gavroche

« Reply #578 on: October 09, 2017, 12:29:35 pm »
For a second, I thought you meant Ian McKay, and I was all like fugazi?!?
BTW...spotted Ian in the back with his red pork pie hat

Katie Alice Greer from Priests was next to me in the front for a couple minutes at the beginning and then she was also in the back.

hemisphire

« Reply #579 on: October 09, 2017, 12:34:17 pm »
Also i think there is a shuttle that operates or will from lenfant but dont know deets

The shuttle is supposed to run to L'Enfant and back constantly, starts Thursday: https://www.wharfdc.com/getting-here/southwest-shuttle/

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #580 on: October 09, 2017, 12:45:08 pm »
The pictures and feedback I've heard thus far makes me extremely excited for Tuesday evening. I'll be taking the fixed cost $7.99  Uber.

1. Who goes to a rock show to eat food? So who cares about their system or lack there of for ordering.
2. Are we really complaining about soap dispensers? Unless you drop a greasy growler at the show, I'm sure a little less soap won't hurt you.
3. Wifi in a venue? Who gives a shit!!!

Looking forward to it Seth!

The food issue (for me), was due to getting there early and no other food options at the Wharf yet. Arrived around 6:15pm; by around 9:45pm just absolutely needed to eat something; and by then the system was much better.

Would be great if the venue sold some pre-made snacks in addition to "food." Maybe even a just a candy concession, or racks of pizza.

Wifi is actually important (to me) if there is no cell signal. At least i can send a text or imessage if i am trying to communicate with someone during the 3 or 4 hours i may be at the venue. If cell service is present, then i agree, no wifi needs.

Did not check out the bathrooms. tomorrow will give the full "greasy growler" report.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 12:48:35 pm by challenged »

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #581 on: October 09, 2017, 12:47:25 pm »
Is there a place to sit and eat, a la BackBar?

I do eat at the BackBar before shows when I can.

heff

« Reply #582 on: October 09, 2017, 01:01:56 pm »
We parked in the lot recommended from the email and the walk was about 10 minutes from there.  I'm pretty sure the subway exit is from the garage, there were signs to the metro in the building entrance.  Cost $20 for parking.  I did see metered street parking on the 395 overpass and I would think it would be free at night.  Got there right at 7PM and it took 50 minutes to get in!  Hopefully, this will be tweaked and better on Tuesday? 

I was told that they were expecting 4000 last night and capacity is 6000.  If there were 4000 last night, there was still plenty of room.  I would imagine that the chairs on the main floor would be taken out for a show like the Foo Fighters (at least the front part of the room).  Those chairs were really comfortable as well.

The swimming pool was kind of a letdown - on the third floor balcony and only visible through a few portals.  Maybe when it is being used and lit up it will be kind of cool.  I missed the cymbal display.

Weird, how most everyone mentioned the faulty soap dispensers, I noticed it as well.  I guess, it's a good thing we're all health conscious?

I liked the Messethetics.  That's Anthony Pirog playing guitar - he's pretty awesome.  It was also strange that the opener played the longest - I wonder if that was expected.

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #583 on: October 09, 2017, 01:38:53 pm »
We parked in the lot recommended from the email and the walk was about 10 minutes from there.  I'm pretty sure the subway exit is from the garage, there were signs to the metro in the building entrance.  Cost $20 for parking.  I did see metered street parking on the 395 overpass and I would think it would be free at night.  Got there right at 7PM and it took 50 minutes to get in!  Hopefully, this will be tweaked and better on Tuesday? 

I was told that they were expecting 4000 last night and capacity is 6000.  If there were 4000 last night, there was still plenty of room.  I would imagine that the chairs on the main floor would be taken out for a show like the Foo Fighters (at least the front part of the room).  Those chairs were really comfortable as well.

The swimming pool was kind of a letdown - on the third floor balcony and only visible through a few portals.  Maybe when it is being used and lit up it will be kind of cool.  I missed the cymbal display.

Weird, how most everyone mentioned the faulty soap dispensers, I noticed it as well.  I guess, it's a good thing we're all health conscious?

I liked the Messethetics.  That's Anthony Pirog playing guitar - he's pretty awesome.  It was also strange that the opener played the longest - I wonder if that was expected.

Spoiler Alert:

There may be mermaids on Thursday in the pool.

JohnnyBaconbitz

« Reply #584 on: October 09, 2017, 02:13:31 pm »
An absolutely world-class venue. Reminded me a little bit of the Moody Theater in Austin (where ACL tapes), but hard to draw comparisons.

I made the exact same comparison.

The night was a lot of fun, but the bill didn't meet the board scuttlebutt (at least night one didn't).

Bat Fangs was easily the winner.