Author Topic: Belly up, fired, and retired  (Read 380794 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
<sig>

rich_WDC

Re: Belly up, fired, and retired
« Reply #826 on: January 08, 2021, 12:58:52 pm »
DeVos resigns.
Good riddance.

i have problems believing someone as awful as betsy could suddenly grow a conscience.  a few days before the end of the administration - how conveeeeenient. 

this is rats jumping off a sinking ship.  the indignation-because-he-caused-a-riot is a handy, fortuitously-timed excuse.

Aren't these resignations done so that they don't have to participate in any 25th Amendment proceedings, whether so they personally wouldn't be forced to be in the position to choosing to do so, or somehow not having enough officials to carry out the procedure (admittedly I don't know the details of that or whether not having certain number of Cabinet members matters)

Space Freely

« Reply #827 on: January 08, 2021, 01:07:38 pm »
DeVos resigns.
Good riddance.

i have problems believing someone as awful as betsy could suddenly grow a conscience.  a few days before the end of the administration - how conveeeeenient. 

this is rats jumping off a sinking ship.  the indignation-because-he-caused-a-riot is a handy, fortuitously-timed excuse.

Aren't these resignations done so that they don't have to participate in any 25th Amendment proceedings, whether so they personally wouldn't be forced to be in the position to choosing to do so, or somehow not having enough officials to carry out the procedure (admittedly I don't know the details of that or whether not having certain number of Cabinet members matters)

When is the resignation effective? Chao's is 1/11, which still gives her time to be part of a 25th.

« Reply #828 on: January 08, 2021, 01:11:18 pm »
they are all spineless losers and will not do this

even Pence...who was going to be executed can't act

Jim Bourg @jimbourg

I heard at least 3 different rioters at the Capitol say that they hoped to find Vice President Mike Pence and execute him by hanging him from a Capitol Hill tree as a traitor. It was a common line being repeated. Many more were just talking about how the VP should be executed.

FYI Jim is Reuters News Pictures Editor In Charge of Washington...not some whackadoodle with a twitter feed
slack

hutch

« Reply #829 on: January 08, 2021, 01:12:53 pm »
I just don’t think the 25th is going to happen

All this stuff needed to happen yesterday or the night of the riots

Everyday that goes by the less likely it is Trump will be expelled from the White House

America is sick both literally and metaphorically and hardly up for this challenge

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #830 on: January 08, 2021, 02:20:25 pm »
I just don’t think the 25th is going to happen

All this stuff needed to happen yesterday or the night of the riots

Everyday that goes by the less likely it is Trump will be expelled from the White House

America is sick both literally and metaphorically and hardly up for this challenge

#failedstate
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #831 on: January 08, 2021, 02:28:52 pm »
You do not want him 25th'd.  You will martyr him to his followers.

You want go to sleep knowing that the intelligence circles are working hard to prevent a classified data leak in the next 12 days and that the Dept of Defense has a handle on preventing any needless attacks in the next 12 days and hope for the best.

Honestly, if this was a better organized insurrection, with how easily they were allowed to enter the Capitol, they would have been way more prepared to do more than just take selfies.  It could have been much, much worse if we were dealing a true and real well organized militia.  They had their chance and the absolutely missed it.
27>34

« Reply #832 on: January 08, 2021, 02:53:02 pm »
  They had their chance and the absolutely missed it.
Thank goodness
slack

« Reply #833 on: January 08, 2021, 03:12:29 pm »
Lehigh University rescinds Trump's honorary degree following Capitol riots
cause that'll teach him!
slack

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #834 on: January 08, 2021, 05:47:38 pm »
Twitter has banned Michael Flynn,  pro-Trump lawyer Sidney Powell, and former 8Kun administrator Ron Watkins for violating a ban on promoting QAnon content. Statement from Twitter:

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1347657159102902272?s=21
T.Rex

« Reply #835 on: January 08, 2021, 06:31:46 pm »
All 3 Leaders of the DC Capitol Police have Resigned
slack

hutch

« Reply #836 on: January 08, 2021, 07:36:08 pm »
Resigned? They need to be jailed

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #837 on: January 08, 2021, 07:45:21 pm »
NYT reporting that Twitter has permanently suspended Trump "due to the risk of further incitement of violence."

please RT your support to @realDonaldTrump.
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #838 on: January 08, 2021, 08:40:36 pm »

Finally had the time to do the research on this and it's not clear, but here's what I know:

Vice-President has to invoke the 25th Amendment along with a majority of Cabinet members.  That poses two questions: how do vacant positions count and what about Cabinet members who have not been confirmed by the Senate?   So assuming that can all get worked out in 12 days, likely via the Supreme Court...

The President can then ask Congress to intervene by submitting a letter to Congress arguing he is fit to serve in the role.  Congress would then vote on the issue, but it would require a 2/3 majority of both the Senate and the House.    There is very little chance this new House would approve by two-thirds.

So that leaves impeachment, which you already know would only require House majority (doable) and 2/3 Senate (questionable).
27>34

hutch

« Reply #839 on: January 08, 2021, 09:17:44 pm »
I think they need to impeach

You can’t just ignore a coup attempt cause you know you might not have the votes