Author Topic: 2019 Albums  (Read 46197 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: 2019 Albums
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2019, 10:01:33 am »
It's the weakest since their debut but still has a ton of great tunes (Oh Baby, Change Yr Mind, Call the Police, etc.)
The Director and I were discussing this yesterday. American Dream > This Is Happening
LVMH

IMAmoose24

• 4 Stars out of 5
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2019, 10:24:47 am »
It's the weakest since their debut but still has a ton of great tunes (Oh Baby, Change Yr Mind, Call the Police, etc.)
The Director and I were discussing this yesterday. American Dream > This Is Happening

:0

It holds a special place for me as it soundtracked a very significant coming of age point in my life. Don't hate the opinion though.

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2019, 10:28:53 am »
Just to clarify before The Director starts sending me mean texts, the American Dream > This Is Happening is my opinion and he does not co-sign.

I just find I turn up listening to that LP the least. There are a few great songs on it, no doubt but there's also 5-6 songs on it that if I never heard again, I wouldn't care. Drunk Girls did not age well, either.
LVMH

IMAmoose24

• 4 Stars out of 5
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2019, 10:39:33 am »
Just to clarify before The Director starts sending me mean texts, the American Dream > This Is Happening is my opinion and he does not co-sign.

I just find I turn up listening to that LP the least. There are a few great songs on it, no doubt but there's also 5-6 songs on it that if I never heard again, I wouldn't care. Drunk Girls did not age well, either.

Agreed on Drunk Girls. Loved it when it dropped but no longer revisit.

IMAmoose24

• 4 Stars out of 5

hutch

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2019, 11:14:14 am »
 Drunk Girls was always the song I liked least but some of the stuff on This is Happening is brilliant... I thought the Ryuichi Sakamoto/Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence nod was so cool...

I love This is Happening.. one of my favorites... and seeing them from the center front of the pit at Virgin Freefest remains one of my most fun experiences..

IMAmoose24

• 4 Stars out of 5
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2019, 11:29:22 am »
I love This is Happening.. one of my favorites... and seeing them from the center front of the pit at Virgin Freefest remains one of my most fun experiences..

Another reason why the album is very special to me. Was front row center in the pit when they played Charlottesville in October 2010. Still one of my favorite shows.

hutch

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2019, 09:37:04 pm »
X is recording a new album...

IMAmoose24

• 4 Stars out of 5
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2019, 06:17:52 pm »

analogfossa

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2019, 12:16:59 pm »

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2019, 01:08:32 pm »
Maybe Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (they are recording, just no release date set)
https://www.nme.com/news/music/nick-cave-bad-seeds-new-album-2019-amazing-update-2436527

“We’ve really nearly finished a new record, I would say,” Cave revealed to the Melbourne Town Hall crowd, reports an eyewitness on Reddit. “And it’s an amazing thing in my opinion.
slack

analogfossa

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2019, 01:10:39 pm »
I hate to write this but their last album was so mediocre from the absolutely worst album cover ever that I  just can't get too revved up about their "hey we recorded this in a total half assed way...and its a bunch of covers" hipster approach

While I somewhat agree on your "hipster approach" argument, I strongly disagree with your opinion that American Dream is mediocre. It's the weakest since their debut but still has a ton of great tunes (Oh Baby, Change Yr Mind, Call the Police, etc.)

Don't know what they were thinking with that cover art though...

Just $$$$$. Murphy loves a cash grab.

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2019, 01:19:12 pm »
Murphy loves a cash grab.
How common. Refined people have subordinates who collect all the cash and bring it to them so they don't have to ungracefully grab like heathens.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2019, 02:03:04 pm »
https://pitchfork.com/news/stephen-malkmus-announces-electronic-album-groove-denied-shares-video-for-new-song-watch/

malkmus releases an "electronic" album and ends up sounding like Wolf Parade.

Looking forward to it although it will probably suck.. at least something different....

I may have to go to Union Stage for first time...

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2019, 01:49:41 pm »
date:   Jan 23, 2019, 7:53 AM
subject:   Pixies - Past is Prologue

We're excited to announce a brand New Album due this September. The as yet untitled album was written over the course of 2018 and recorded in December at Dreamland Recordings near Woodstock, NY. Produced by Tom Dalgety.

We have teamed up with Signal Co. No1 to document the making of the upcoming album, and the band's history, as a 12 part audio podcast called "PAST IS PROLOGUE".  Trailer: https://www.signalco1.com/pixies/

Starting June 27, the 12 part series will be released weekly leading up to the album release. Hosted and narrated by New York Times best-selling author Tony Fletcher.

The series will be available on all podcast platforms globally including: Apple, Spotify, Acast, Stitcher & Google. Subscribe now to have the first episode added to your library when first released: https://fanlink.to/pixiespodcast
<sig>