Author Topic: 2019 Albums  (Read 46084 times)

Yada

Re: 2019 Albums
« Reply #135 on: August 28, 2019, 12:57:39 pm »
If IMP booked Neil at Anthem all people would do is bitch about ticket prices

When was the last time Neil played DC?

People would complain and it would still sell out.

His last Crazy Horse tour in maybe 2012 or so??

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #136 on: August 28, 2019, 01:07:00 pm »
People would complain and it would still sell out.
I just bought two @$200 per for Bryan Ferry; I will gladly do the same for Neil Young & Crazy Horse sans complaints.
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #137 on: August 29, 2019, 08:14:38 pm »
"new" pink floyd:

Pink Floyd announce new box set featuring hours of unreleased rarities
https://www.nme.com/news/music/pink-floyd-announce-new-box-set-featuring-hours-unreleased-music-2543375
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #138 on: September 05, 2019, 07:48:22 am »
New Pernice Brothers album and tour!

Hello,

Yeah, it’s been a while. Not much, how ‘bout you? I’m not sure why I called. I guess I really just wanted to talk to you. (That’s from England Dan And John Ford Coley’s 1970’s smash hit “I’d Really Love to See You Tonight” in case you didn’t know. Say what you will about the song. The hook is pretty massive, and the tune had to have been a license to print money for the songwriters. I wouldn’t kick that number out of my catalog for making crumbs. I always figured there must have been some other dude named Dan in the duo’s coterie, and soft rock Dan adopted the prefix “England” (note: He did not adopt “English”) to distinguish himself from the lesser Dan. Well, by Jesus, unless lesser Dan became Dan Akroyd or Dan Marino, it worked. )

Over the years I’ve borrowed a few tropes from the 1970’s soft rock genre. You got a problem with that? (Damn, too agro. Let me start over.)

Hello, Everyone. You look fantastic. Wow! The years we spent apart were really kind to you. You look exactly the same. I’m serious. Who, me? Oh, stop. You’re embarrassing me. I think your eyesight must be going. Sure, I worked pretty hard to lose most of the weight I put on with the baby, but you know what they say about Joe’s charm being 50 percent illusion and all. Like Mary says regarding her good looks: I had it when I needed it.

Anyway, about a year ago I quit my job at the blood bank and started writing songs. Lots of them. All kinds of songs. Before I knew it, I had a pile. And the pile was pretty high, like dirty laundry. (That simile may not be completely inaccurate.) I was left with only a single option: Make a newPernice Brothers record. Which is what I did. It’s called Spread The Feeling, and it comes out on Sept. 9, 2019. (If you’d like to order it, here’s a link.) For now the only ways to get the record are through Bandcamp for the digital, and mail order for the vinyl. (The LPs will not be mailed out until right after Oct. 17, 2019. They’re still being pressed, but you can preorder now. It should still be warm when you spin it.) I apologize to most fans outside North America. I have no European/UK/S. American recording or distribution deal, and rather than wait around for something to happen I decided to just put the damn record out. (If you’re in Australia the record will be available from Spunk Records. And it’s looking like something is coming together for release in Japan.) 

We are also probably going to press a very limited number of CDs. Apparently a few of you still listen to music that way. (The plan is to press some, but we’re at the mercy of the pressing plant’s schedule. Will update when we know a CD delivery timeline.)

And then comes touring. The last time my band played live was at thee Carnegie Hall. No joke. Would have been pretty cool if the last band gig we did had been Carnegie Hall. But it’s not to be. We’re going to play a short “tour” with the band. Nothing enormous, just a few shows at first to ease back into things. (You can see the dates here.) If all goes well, who knows, maybe we’ll stay out on the road for a while. Again, apologies to Europe/UK, but having no Euro/UK booking agent is going to make playing shows your way tough. I’m working on it, but can’t promise something will shake out.

Oh, there’s something I must get off my chest. I can’t let this lie go on any longer. There’s a Pernice Brothers chain letter going around. (Here’s the link.) I co-wrote it with my partner (business only, thank God for both our sakes) Joyce Linehan. If you sign up for our mailing list and play along you’ll get to hear some new Pernice Brothers stuff for free.

I think that about covers it. I’ll leave you with some middle-eight wisdom from England Dan and/or John Ford Coley: “I won’t ask for promises, so you won’t have to lie. We’ve both played that game before. Say I love you and say goodbye.” That’s what I’m talking about.

JP, Toronto, Sept., 2019

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #139 on: September 08, 2019, 04:51:35 pm »
Chrissie Hynde w\ The Valve Bone Woe Ensemble  - Valve Bone Woe.  It’s perfect lazy Sunday afternoon listening.

Miles Davis - Rubberband
A unreleased album from 1985 which is very much of that time with a couple tracks that sound as if someone had snuck into Paisley Park for some late night sessions. 
T.Rex

Space Freely

« Reply #140 on: September 08, 2019, 05:10:46 pm »
Chrissie Hynde w\ The Valve Bone Woe Ensemble  - Valve Bone Woe.  It’s perfect lazy Sunday afternoon listening.

Miles Davis - Rubberband
A unreleased album from 1985 which is very much of that time with a couple tracks that sound as if someone had snuck into Paisley Park for some late night sessions.

I listened to the Chrissie Hynde...not bad but i just don't think her vocal chops are good enough to really make a standout jazz album.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #141 on: September 16, 2019, 07:35:58 am »
Gruff Rhys - Pang!

Really nice new album from Gruff has a really great Global sound and was produced by a South African producer Muzi.  It's a cross between the chamber pop along the lines of Nick Drake and David Bryne's solo work.  And it's in Welsh..
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 07:38:11 am by kosmo vinyl »
T.Rex

« Reply #142 on: September 18, 2019, 02:53:33 pm »
In the absence of a Sweetcell thread, this seems the best place to post this cool WARP Records Radio Sessions boxset featuring Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada, et al
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #143 on: September 18, 2019, 05:48:19 pm »
^ sweetcell likes this.
<sig>

« Reply #144 on: September 19, 2019, 08:25:20 am »
^ sweetcell likes this.
I KNOW MY AUDIENCE
LVMH

« Reply #145 on: September 19, 2019, 11:19:30 am »
some unheard sessions of Dylan and Cash

the two recorded an entire session together in 1969, and we’ll soon get to hear it.

Rolling Stone reports that the next edition of Dylan’s archival Bootleg Series will devote a disc and a half to the Cash/Dylan session. The two apparently recorded this thing one day with the rockabilly legend Carl Perkins, and it features the two of them playing each other’s songs and also doing standards like “Mystery Train,” “You Are My Sunshine,” and a handful of tracks from country originator Jimmie Rodgers.
slack

hutch

« Reply #146 on: September 19, 2019, 12:57:34 pm »

Cash-Dylan sessions I have heard are pretty meh though worthy of release

More interested in the alternative takes from John Wesley Harding...a true masterpiece

the two recorded an entire session together in 1969, and we’ll soon get to hear it.

Rolling Stone reports that the next edition of Dylan’s archival Bootleg Series will devote a disc and a half to the Cash/Dylan session. The two apparently recorded this thing one day with the rockabilly legend Carl Perkins, and it features the two of them playing each other’s songs and also doing standards like “Mystery Train,” “You Are My Sunshine,” and a handful of tracks from country originator Jimmie Rodgers.

[/quote]

« Reply #147 on: September 23, 2019, 04:20:51 pm »
New Nick Cave!

Some fan was pressing him to discuss this new release (as they knew it was happening) and he was tight lipped saying no new album being made (that's because it was already made!)

slack

hutch

« Reply #148 on: September 23, 2019, 05:15:55 pm »
Well this is exciting

Automatic instant buy

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #149 on: October 02, 2019, 02:35:35 pm »
New Stipe single on Saturday.  $0.77, or free download.