Author Topic: 2019 Albums  (Read 46243 times)

Space Freely

Re: 2019 Albums
« Reply #180 on: October 09, 2019, 09:38:29 am »
Wilco hasn't had a good album since Summerteeth.

I wouldn't go that far back, but I would say it went downhill at an alarming speed after "A Ghost is Born."
I'll meet you in the middle and say YHF is utterly listenable. A Ghost is Born is straight trash tho.

I held that same opinion for years regarding A Ghost is Born. Then something clicked for me and now it may be my favorite, depending on the day of the week.

Space Freely

« Reply #181 on: October 09, 2019, 09:49:26 am »

Nick Cave has never put out a good album.
I can't say I have listened to him extensively enough to discredit his entire oeuvre but I've never liked anything I've heard by him. And yet so many people whose musical opinions I respect seem to adore him. I've always chalked him up as an artist I just "don't get".

Same, actually. From what I have heard, he's such a fucking overwrought drama queen. Get over yourself buddy. I'll give him a pass when it comes to songs about the death of his son, because that is fucking dramatic, but it seems like he's always that way.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #182 on: October 09, 2019, 09:57:36 am »
It's good to know when and where we have your permission to be human.

Space Freely

« Reply #183 on: October 09, 2019, 10:24:58 am »

He can be "human" all he wants, but that doesn't make me want to listen to all his moaning and groaning.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #184 on: October 09, 2019, 10:27:34 am »

He can be "human" all he wants, but that doesn't make me want to listen to all his moaning and groaning.
Yeah, I'm with Space, this is a terrible take. There are lots of people I am empathetic towards; its a false equivalency to present that if you do not like someone's musical creation you are dehumanizing them.
LVMH

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #185 on: October 09, 2019, 10:49:44 am »

I wouldn't go that far back, but I would say it went downhill at an alarming speed after "A Ghost is Born."
I'll meet you in the middle and say YHF is utterly listenable. A Ghost is Born is straight trash tho.

I held that same opinion for years regarding A Ghost is Born. Then something clicked for me and now it may be my favorite, depending on the day of the week.

Wilco Setlist from last night in Torontoe seems to be a little something for everyone. I am looking forward to the show. I met a couple the other night that are going to Radio City, Bklyn Steel, Anthem, and Charlottesville. They seemed nice.

Bright Leaves

Before Us

I Am Trying to Break Your Heart

War on War

One and a Half Stars

If I Ever Was a Child

Handshake Drugs

Hummingbird

White Wooden Cross

Via Chicago

How to Fight Loneliness

Bull Black Nova

Random Name Generator

Reservations

We Were Lucky

Love Is Everywhere (Beware)

Impossible Germany

Box Full of Letters

Everyone Hides

Heavy Metal Drummer

I'm the Man Who Loves You

Hold Me Anyway

Misunderstood

Encore:

California Stars
(Billy Bragg & Wilco cover)

The Late Greats

Space Freely

« Reply #186 on: October 09, 2019, 10:54:45 am »

Wilco Setlist from last night in Torontoe seems to be a little something for everyone. I am looking forward to the show. I met a couple the other night that are going to Radio City, Bklyn Steel, Anthem, and Charlottesville. They seemed nice.

Bright Leaves

Before Us

War on War

One and a Half Stars

If I Ever Was a Child

Handshake Drugs

Hummingbird

White Wooden Cross

Via Chicago

How to Fight Loneliness

Bull Black Nova

Random Name Generator

Reservations

We Were Lucky

Impossible Germany

Box Full of Letters

Everyone Hides

Heavy Metal Drummer

Hold Me Anyway

Misunderstood

Encore:

California Stars

The Late Greats

That's the exact same set in the same order that they played in London, with three songs trimmed out.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/wilco/2019/eventim-apollo-london-england-439c1fb7.html

Does that couple live in northern Baltimore county?

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #187 on: October 09, 2019, 11:00:02 am »

Bright Leaves

Before Us

War on War

One and a Half Stars

If I Ever Was a Child

Handshake Drugs

Hummingbird

White Wooden Cross

Via Chicago

How to Fight Loneliness

Bull Black Nova

Random Name Generator

Reservations

We Were Lucky

Impossible Germany

Box Full of Letters

Everyone Hides

Heavy Metal Drummer

Hold Me Anyway

Misunderstood

Encore:

California Stars

The Late Greats

That's the exact same set in the same order that they played in London, with three songs trimmed out.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/wilco/2019/eventim-apollo-london-england-439c1fb7.html

Does that couple live in northern Baltimore county?

If I remember correctly, Howard county.

Space Freely

« Reply #188 on: October 09, 2019, 11:10:07 am »
[

If I remember correctly, Howard county.

Ah, different couple. I have a friend who seems to be a bit of a Wilco groupie, I'm surprised she's able to hold down a professional job, lol.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #189 on: October 09, 2019, 01:32:29 pm »
Heavy Metal Drummer

NAILED IT I AM THE WILCO WHISPERER!!!!!
<sig>

nkotb

« Reply #190 on: October 09, 2019, 01:55:37 pm »
Ahem...

...I think I may be done with live Wilco...I guess I'm just done with the set lists they play...I'm not sure how many more times I can hear Heavy Metal Drummer, and the ensuing roar from the crowd...They play this song every damn show.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #191 on: October 09, 2019, 01:58:50 pm »
yeah, not a single deep cut.  I may still go if I could find a $10 ticket.
(_|_)

hutch

« Reply #192 on: October 09, 2019, 02:35:23 pm »
So you don’t like the classics or the new cuts...seven from new album

Not having seen Wilco since the Americana fest at Merriweather I don’t really have a problem with hearing classics and I think playing most of the new album is what a band should be playing

When did Wilco go off the rails? It’s pretty easy to tell as it was captured on a pretty well known film

Space Freely

« Reply #193 on: October 09, 2019, 02:47:19 pm »

Not having seen Wilco since the Americana fest at Merriweather I don’t really have a problem with hearing classics and I think playing most of the new album is what a band should be playing

When did Wilco go off the rails? It’s pretty easy to tell as it was captured on a pretty well known film

They're playing a sold out Anthem show. And other sold out shows at other venue significantly larger than when they were playing when that film was made. Remind me, how did they go off the rails?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #194 on: October 09, 2019, 02:56:40 pm »

They're playing a sold out Anthem show. And other sold out shows at other venue significantly larger than when they were playing when that film was made. Remind me, how did they go off the rails?

you are confusing success with commercial success.
<sig>