Author Topic: The Rolling Stones - 2019  (Read 18185 times)

challenged

• Instagram
Re: The Rolling Stones - 2019
« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2019, 09:02:30 am »
. . . So somehow my wife, who is staunchly a Mick Jagger is a terrible singer and the Stones are meh, "twisted my arm" and we bought stupidly overpriced tickets while high on fast food and budget youtube documentaries about the band...
   I'm not sure how I feel. I'm still torn by the feeling that at that echelon of performance opulence bands kind of blur and it becomes more about the concept of a band rather than an actual performance, but maybe my
To note, I haven't been to an arena/stadium show since I fell asleep halfway through an MC Hammer concert which was an 8th birthday gift.

I am excited to see them for the first/final time tonight! Sprung for a cheap-ass standing room ticket. 

rich_WDC

« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2019, 10:31:11 am »
There's nothing wrong with a Rolling Stones show.   Except for the fact that this one is where it is.   

(sidenote: I'd love to split parking fee and I'll even drive if logistics can work. PM if interested)

Whether expensive ticket for a bucket-list concept or a cheap ticket just to get in -- enjoy the spectacle and hear 20 pretty decent songs.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2019, 11:04:12 am »
ya'all enjoy a football field concert
(_|_)

chancegardener

• http://www.chancegardener.com
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2019, 12:47:02 am »
It was a good show. Energy level rose and fell on whether Jagger was on stage on not. Keith now has brown hair again and was fairly sloppy throughout, barely playing intelligible leads on 'Sympathy' but redeeming himself on a scorching 'Midnight Rambler'. Ronnie provided the show-saving guitar flash and Charlie is the still the classiest drummer in rock. Plus they played 'Rocks Off' and 'Let it Bleed.' If this was the last time, then they went out good.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2019, 08:37:25 am »
Ronnie provided the show-saving guitar flash
Glad to hear the show was saved.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2019, 09:30:09 am »
Ronnie has been saving shows since Coconutgate.... In 2006...at least..

I was kind of sorry to miss it... the setlist was made for me (Let it bleed)..I had a friend really doing the full court press on me to go

The treat was Mercy which they hadn’t played in 50 years...since right around when Brian Jones died or had his body discovered 50 years to this DC show...how morbid

But I cannot stand stadium shows and occasionally I have to do something for my kids like take them to Aquarium

I also think I could never get close to my experience at Baltimore 2006 pre coconutgate

Last time I saw them in philly 2013 I was a bit underwhelmed maybe it was the shitty seats...there is little point to seeing them in my view unless you can get reasonably close..seeing them at jack Kent Cooke in 1997 turned me off to seeing them again til the awesome Baltimore show

hutch

« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2019, 09:49:17 am »
But that’s not to take anything away from the Stones...happy for those that saw it and had a good time...I would have had a good time too

Like I said it definitely felt like something was tugging at my heartstrings trying to get me to head towards Fed Ex as I drove back to DC around 6 after dropping $140 at the aquarium with my kids in the back complaining about traffic...fuckers..the Stones are part of the Rosetta Stone for the rock and roll I like...

I predict they will go on and on and on....and on

« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2019, 09:52:24 am »
 SNAP POLL: Hutch posting 9 paragraphs about a concert he did not attend or James Ford reviewing a Broken Social Scene concert he left before they went on — who wore it better?
LVMH

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2019, 10:06:57 am »
Did I ever tell you about the time I didn't see R.E.M. perform at the Tibetan Freedom Concert?

« Reply #69 on: July 05, 2019, 10:18:06 am »
Did I ever tell you about the time I didn't see R.E.M. perform at the Tibetan Freedom Concert?
Not that I recall; please do. Longform narrative only, please.
LVMH

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #70 on: July 05, 2019, 11:43:09 am »
It was my first RS show.

The way I see it is that Mick still has "it" both singing, dancing, and harmonica-ing, and the others do not as much have "it" but they are alive and are iconic so they have to play.

So it is not an amazing show "musically."

If Mick, like Paul McCartney, just toured and played RS songs with a killer band, it would be an amazing show musically. As it is, the guitars and drumming sloppy-ish but endearing, and such. I am so glad that I went, and checked this off of the list.

The setlist for me was great. Rocks Off was the fan facebook voted song that I voted for.  I am not sure what it is about, I guess stones, rocks, its a whole geology thing, right?

ALSO, and this is most important: word to the wise - keep in touch with your college friends who stay in the concert business and also marry into the family of prominent team-tongue production staff. You may end up with 3rd row tickets and pit-passes to such shows.

Finally, sorry Joe.

hutch

« Reply #71 on: July 05, 2019, 01:24:14 pm »
And that ladies and gentlemen is how you play it

Damn well done Challenged

Green with envy

K8teebug

« Reply #72 on: July 08, 2019, 09:37:40 am »
It sucks when you go to a family party and find out your aunt had 700 tickets she wasn't going to use, and would have given them to you for free.

« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2019, 10:13:55 am »
It sucks when you go to a family party and find out your aunt had 700 tickets she wasn't going to use, and would have given them to you for free.
This is a life lesson why you should have lunch with your uncle aunt once a week!
LVMH

Vas Deferens

« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2019, 11:09:28 am »
It's OK, I bet you had a great time getting in and out of that parking lot.  :P

Also you missed a very awesome Wand show this past Saturday.  You still lose.   Byeeeee

Finally, sorry Joe.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 11:12:04 am by Vas Deferens »
(_|_)