Author Topic: COVID-19 2020  (Read 392206 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: COVID-19 2020
« Reply #1695 on: August 11, 2020, 04:44:19 pm »
file under "we've already told you there is no bottom":

that awful cesspool that is the Sturgis motorcycle rally.  old, overweight, chain-smoking diabetics inhaling fumes all day, packed in like sardines, with zero masks not social distancing. how could this pit of despair possibly get any worse?

Smash Mouth holds packed concert at motorcycle rally
<sig>

gavroche

« Reply #1696 on: August 11, 2020, 05:39:49 pm »
file under "we've already told you there is no bottom":

that awful cesspool that is the Sturgis motorcycle rally.  old, overweight, chain-smoking diabetics inhaling fumes all day, packed in like sardines, with zero masks not social distancing. how could this pit of despair possibly get any worse?

Smash Mouth holds packed concert at motorcycle rally

I ran through so many bikers on their way up to Sturgis.  My favorite was the dude, blocking the hotel entrance, who said, "if they make my kid wear masks he won't be going back to school.  It's a health risk, they cut off the oxygen to the brain."

Space Freely

« Reply #1698 on: August 13, 2020, 01:56:02 pm »
I think this is smart and think Ralph is doing a great job!

Ralph Northam@GovernorVA
As a pediatrician, I'm proud to announce the launch of a new study to assess #COVID19 antibodies among Virginia's children.
We know children are impacted by disease in a different way than adults—this study will provide key insights as we continue our battle against #COVID19.
slack

hutch

« Reply #1699 on: August 14, 2020, 01:16:10 am »
Every once in a while I read these absolutely terrifying news articles with quotes from credible people basically saying we could be dealing with this for years....and at best until end of next year

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #1700 on: August 14, 2020, 10:28:34 am »
I think so many people are thinking that this will all go away when we have a vaccine. But the likelihood is that the COVID vaccine will act a whole lot more like the flu vaccine (i.e., 40% effective, required seasonally) than say, the polio vaccine.

« Reply #1701 on: August 14, 2020, 11:00:31 am »
it's all conjecture at this point
but my feeling is it will be like the flu vaccine and have to administer annually
it is going to mutate

I did here that they feel that it will still be effective if less than 2/3s get it due to it's contagion factor
i.e. measles ...very contagious and need like 95% people vaccinated

slack

hutch

« Reply #1702 on: August 14, 2020, 11:25:15 am »
YeH but will we change the way we are living?

Seems like some experts are doubtful

I mean no social gatherings could be necessary for at least another year and a half? My 77 year old mother lives in Argentina...when can she safely fly up here? When she is 79?!? When will kids be able to go to school? Are concerts out until 2022?!? What about the economy? I assume our generation could be done? I mean not tons of time to fatten up those nest eggs? Many are fine but for sure many are counting on things getting back to normal and better and putting in another 20 years? For many they will live off their inheritance but not all...and what will they then leave their own kids..  The last great economic expansion was in the 1990s!! Are millennials doomed to a life of waiting tables and working bars at 25% capacity establishments?

Realistically how long can IMP last?

And how long can government keep way overspending and the Fed keep pumping money in before the $ goes to shit?

I don’t know that many people realize how dire things are beginning to look...
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 11:26:50 am by hutch »

« Reply #1703 on: August 14, 2020, 12:19:31 pm »
I don’t know that many people realize how dire things are beginning to look...
the stock market kinda shocks me in this matter, since it's more of a forward looking measure
You'd think the people with a lot of money on the line would just start pulling money out

I'm not saying this has anything to do with reality, but I'm surprised that we haven't seen a crash there, since it's pretty obvious that the economy is going shit the bed so bad that we are going to not only need a new bed, but a new room to sleep in
slack

hutch

« Reply #1704 on: August 14, 2020, 12:25:29 pm »
Totally

It may be a case of people thinking they can ride this as long as possible and  take their money out right before the crash maybe when Biden wins?

I wonder if some of the real estate price increase in this area is due to people wanting to buy some bricks...home prices here in Arlington going up up up and it ain’t the schools!

My brother in law builds homes in Houston and they can’t keep pace with demand

Then you look at price of gold...

Obviously with these ridiculous artificially low interest rates people need something to do with cash

Everything is way more messed up than most people seem to realize
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 12:28:11 pm by hutch »

« Reply #1705 on: August 14, 2020, 12:38:24 pm »
I wonder if some of the real estate price increase in this area is due to people wanting to buy some bricks...home prices here in Arlington going up up up and it ain’t the schools!

My brother in law builds homes in Houston and they can’t keep pace with demand
Real Estate too...it's crazy
interest rates have something to do with it, but I'm just a little shocked

I also don't know how Malls, regular retail and commercial real estate haven't just totally imploded
Every business I interact with is now looking to reduce their office space footprint as a way to stem the bleeding
we've proven that a lot of Office jobs can be done from home at a much cheaper cost
People don't want to go shopping when everything can just be delivered

That ripple effect is going to be brutal

I just don't get it.
slack

vansmack

« Reply #1706 on: August 14, 2020, 06:17:56 pm »
the stock market kinda shocks me in this matter, since it's more of a forward looking measure
You'd think the people with a lot of money on the line would just start pulling money out

Take a close look at which stock are having the most growth and how much.  They're carrying the rest.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1707 on: August 14, 2020, 06:36:40 pm »
Real Estate too...it's crazy
interest rates have something to do with it, but I'm just a little shocked

Interest rates are part of it, but there is also a big push among those that can afford it to:

(1) add an office for your continued work at home / get a quiet place away from kids so you can work
(2) leave densely populated condos for smaller condo buildings or single family homes to get away from elevators, hallways and other common areas (and amenities you once paid for you can no longer use [pools, gyms, party rooms])
(3) people are looking for separate entrances, backyards, decks or have dedicated, private outside space as public space is no longer usable.

Thus the market is flooded with people moving up.
27>34

« Reply #1708 on: August 17, 2020, 09:53:34 am »
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1709 on: August 17, 2020, 12:19:13 pm »
^ should have added "and entirely predictable" to that definition
<sig>