Author Topic: COVID-19 2020  (Read 385863 times)

Space Freely

Re: COVID-19 2020
« Reply #1245 on: May 28, 2020, 11:41:13 am »

hutch

« Reply #1246 on: May 28, 2020, 11:55:54 am »
That is great news although trusting China.....still it seems in line with everything we are learning and seeing

I think what we see is that we need to continue to avoid so called super spreader events and can reopen

Defining super spreader events seems paramount but I think concerts, conferences, sporting events, church, choirs etc have been mentioned...I posted -last night-an article that focused on this

This would seem to mean no indoor concerts until a vaccine is developed or the disease disappears or virtually disappears to my way of thinking but things seem to change rapidly

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1247 on: May 28, 2020, 01:09:17 pm »
- Pa. House Democrats say they were in the dark for a week about Republican’s positive coronavirus test
- ‘Callous liars’: Pennsylvania Democrats say GOP put them at risk by hiding member’s positive covid-19 test

this.

is.

FUCKED.

PA replublicans knew that one of their members was positive for covid-19.  instead of telling everyone and going into isolation, GOP leadership kept it quiet (other than informing their own members and staff, natch) - they continued to meet in committees, for over a week, to pass "everything is ok so let's reopen the state" legislation.  only in america can partisanship be deadly, so often.

Dem PA congressman is MAD ABOUT IT. visceral.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 01:15:31 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

« Reply #1248 on: May 28, 2020, 01:20:19 pm »
Dang, that brian sims video was HOT
I think the GOP has been truly evil on this topic and acting like "Dems hate freedom" because they are trying to protect people from a deadly virus
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #1249 on: May 28, 2020, 03:13:25 pm »
I think the GOP has been truly evil on this topic and acting like "Dems hate freedom" because they are trying to protect people from a deadly virus

My wife was just on the couch using "Brian Sims" and "hot" in the same sentence. I wasn't sure what she was going on about.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1250 on: May 28, 2020, 07:17:42 pm »

My wife was just on the couch using "Brian Sims" and "hot" in the same sentence. I wasn't sure what she was going on about.

yo space, sounds like the oven is warm... get it while it's hot!
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #1251 on: May 29, 2020, 08:57:10 am »
Is anyone else who is teleworking now working on their argument for why they should never have to go back to the office?

Vas Deferens

« Reply #1252 on: May 29, 2020, 09:45:49 am »
no, don't you miss the office environment ?

Is anyone else who is teleworking now working on their argument for why they should never have to go back to the office?
(_|_)

« Reply #1253 on: May 29, 2020, 09:50:26 am »

not at all!  I personally like who I work with and like interacting with humans face to face
I really miss the 5-minute conversations about GOT or Trump's latest or where they went on vacation or what college their kid got into
and sharing that same kind of info with them
Only argument would be I should be able to work remotely whenever I want (as long as it doesn't impact work)
Which opens up the 3-week vacation stuff with family.  Where we travel to some great state park, I work 3 full days while the others going on some adventures.  Then at 5 PM I'm in Yellowstone and can enjoy a 5 day vacation Then we move to anothe location and I work for 3 days and do it all again, this time at Glacier National park.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 09:52:26 am by glorifying peace-hatch ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|lıl »
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #1254 on: May 29, 2020, 10:14:21 am »

I have the kind of job where i don't really every physically need to be in the office. And though I'm not a social butterfly and usually keep to myself at work, I do miss being around my co-workers. Not to the extent that I'd actually want to take public transport or unnecessarily be indoors with other people at this point, but i miss being around others. And going out for a beer after work and exchanging small talk with the bartender or people next to me.

My wife, otoh, is trying to make the case for never going back to the office. To the "I'm going to quit my job if they don't agree to it" extent. Not out of fear of COVID, but because she thinks there is no reason to ever physically be in an office, and due to her dread of commuting and being around people. She also thinks that the "new normal" is going to create situations where after commuting an hour each way you have to choose between waiting in a long line to ride the elevator solo or climbing eight flights of stairs, just to go to your office where you're required to wear a mask for eight hours, when instead you can get 11 hours of work done at home with no mask. To that end, i think she had a point.

Space Freely

« Reply #1255 on: May 29, 2020, 10:19:17 am »

not at all!  I personally like who I work with and like interacting with humans face to face
I really miss the 5-minute conversations about GOT or Trump's latest or where they went on vacation or what college their kid got into
and sharing that same kind of info with them
Only argument would be I should be able to work remotely whenever I want (as long as it doesn't impact work)
Which opens up the 3-week vacation stuff with family.  Where we travel to some great state park, I work 3 full days while the others going on some adventures.  Then at 5 PM I'm in Yellowstone and can enjoy a 5 day vacation Then we move to anothe location and I work for 3 days and do it all again, this time at Glacier National park.

Your thought process regarding working vacations is totally up my alley. We're holding onto reservations for an August  driiving vacation we planned pre-COVID. But our destination state has a 14 day quarantine arrival directive in place through August....which if maintained, will cause us to cancel. So my thought was....if we're still teleworking and school is still distance learning, we could still go to our destination in September and combine work/school/vacation all into one. The other half thinks that idea is absolutely bonkers.

Space Freely

« Reply #1256 on: June 01, 2020, 07:40:51 am »
Since we could all use some good news this Monday morning, I'll share this...

New Coronavirus Losing Potency, Top Italian Doctor Says

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020/05/31/world/europe/31reuters-health-coronavirus-italy-virus.html

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #1257 on: June 01, 2020, 09:30:53 am »
I’ve been presenting this as an idea in my company for three years and this forced “trial” will probably be the thing that pushes it across the finish line. (I personally will still likely go in daily.)
LVMH

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #1258 on: June 01, 2020, 09:35:23 am »
My wife, otoh, is trying to make the case for never going back to the office. To the "I'm going to quit my job if they don't agree to it" extent. Not out of fear of COVID, but because she thinks there is no reason to ever physically be in an office, and due to her dread of commuting and being around people. She also thinks that the "new normal" is going to create situations where after commuting an hour each way you have to choose between waiting in a long line to ride the elevator solo or climbing eight flights of stairs, just to go to your office where you're required to wear a mask for eight hours, when instead you can get 11 hours of work done at home with no mask. To that end, i think she had a point.
This is pretty spot on. I would also add companies that mandate in-office workers often miss out on the contributions of parents with child care issues (predominately, but not entirely, women) and disabled individuals for whom commuting is often difficult. There is a huge swath of talented female business leaders (and again, some men) who want families who are effectively sidelined for a decade+ of their career and have their their talent untapped by companies in the name of mandatory in-office work. This is a market inefficiency that is ripe for exploiting.

I also have a lot of thoughts on batch payroll methodology but I'll save that for another day.
LVMH

« Reply #1259 on: June 01, 2020, 09:37:01 am »
I also have a lot of thoughts on batch payroll methodology but I'll save that for another day.
Let's just consider that matter settled
slack