Author Topic: The Potato Thread: Potatoes in the News  (Read 111520 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: The Potato Thread: Potatoes in the News
« Reply #525 on: January 20, 2023, 05:18:47 pm »
Robert Pattinson once did a body 'detox' that required him to eat nothing but potatoes for 2 weeks

"You definitely lose weight."

https://ew.com/celebrity/robert-pattinson-potato-cleanse-diet-detox-weight-loss/

Just boiled potatoes and Himalayan pink salt. Apparently it's a cleanse…

it's called the mono diet (monotrophic diet).  penn jillette lost over hundred pounds on a that same potatoes-only-for-two-weeks diet. per penn, it reset both his taste buds and his gut microbiome.  after two week you introduce other foods, but apparently by then your physical and mental relationship with food is very different.  penn now states that food isn't that interesting to him anymore, and animal products disgust him: "i eat whatever i want - but what i want has changed profoundly."  he did it for longevity reasons: "turns out that being with my kids is more important to me than chocolate cake".

How Penn Jillette Lost over 100 Lbs and Still Eats Whatever He Wants | Big Think <-- in his own words on youtube, a recommended 10 minute investment of your time.

edit: in case you prefer the written word: How Magician Penn Jillette Lost 100 Pounds on the Potato Diet

« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 05:32:20 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #526 on: January 26, 2023, 01:52:31 pm »
Mr Sato visits the "all potato" Kogane No Potatorado in Okinawa and is...confused.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?

« Reply #528 on: February 08, 2023, 12:14:21 pm »
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #529 on: February 14, 2023, 04:41:39 pm »
The 80-million-year-old piece of fruit pushes back the known origins of the ancestor to [popular foods like tomatoes, potatoes, mint, and even coffee] all the way to the Cretaceous period, meaning these plants survived through the mass extinction that killed off the dinosaurs.

https://www.capradio.org/articles/2023/02/13/80-million-year-old-fossil-ancestor-of-coffee-and-potatoes-found-near-sacramento/

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #531 on: February 16, 2023, 01:18:02 pm »

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #535 on: March 21, 2023, 11:04:26 am »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #536 on: March 24, 2023, 03:24:55 am »
Potato house on Mars

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORING!!!  i like this take a lot better:

Potatoes are better than human blood for making space concrete bricks, scientists say
Charlton Heston was right — blood makes poor mortar (compared to potatoes, anyway).
<sig>

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #537 on: April 03, 2023, 05:44:15 pm »
A local potato-based controversy

FARGO — A Red River Valley farmer accused of lying about his failed potato crops is asking a federal judge to reinstate his ability to get federal crop insurance, with his attorney claiming the feds are trying to push him out of farming.

https://www.inforum.com/news/north-dakota/accused-of-lying-about-failed-crops-north-dakota-farmer-claims-feds-are-pushing-him-out-of-farming

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #538 on: April 07, 2023, 11:48:32 am »
Would you paint a potato? Don’t worry, this isn’t some mad dadaist take on those old “You wouldn’t download a car” ads. America, apparently, has been gripped with potato-decorating fever, sparked first by memes about how expensive eggs are getting in the run-up to Easter, and then a concerted effort by Potatoes USA to get everyone’s favourite root vegetable briefly trending.

« Reply #539 on: April 07, 2023, 11:50:47 am »
now that is some 'outside of the potato sack' kind of thinking we need in this world

what's great is instead of the unfound eggs stinking and rotting...you might actually get a potato plant to grow
slack